Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Lady Eleanor

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27 9:38 AM
      It's entrelac, and I'm about to find out how difficult it is. <g> I'm
      told it's easier than it looks. Famous last words....

      You basically knit a series of short row triangles for the base, then
      pick up stitches along one (non-live) side of the triangles to knit
      the next row of squares (so that the stitches are at a right angle to
      the stitches in the triangle). Then rotate and repeat until the piece
      is the length you want.

      I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm going to practice on a
      cotton dishcloth before I tackle the stole. We'll figure it out! I
      hope!

      Theresa

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27 11:23 AM
        I wouldn't suggest cotton to learn this with. Cotton has very little
        give. You'd be better off with a wool or wool blend. The stretch
        will make it about a 1000 times easier.

        Oh, btw, sorry I missed last night. I just wasn't feeling well. I'll
        see you all next week!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28 7:54 AM
          I fell in love with that pattern some time ago, but
          never new that it had a name:) It's definitely on my
          to-do-list...like you I'll have to find the perfect
          yarn.

          Kris

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28 8:15 AM
            I ordered the book with the pattern but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll
            bring it to SnB once it arrives. The whole book, Scarf Style, is
            loaded with great patterns. I originally checked it out from the
            library but then decided I had to buy it.

            Yeah, I had that same thought about using cotton for practice
            entrelac. I've knit with zero-stretch yarns before (am even currently
            wrangling a chenille into a vaguely scarf-shaped object), and
            forgiving yarns are definitely more ... forgiving.

            I considered swatching entrelac for practice in some leftover sock
            wool. But then a little gremlin whispered, "Make a dishcloth. A
            purple one. In cotton."

            Which just goes to show why I need a flyswatter in my knitting bag.
            To squash the gremlins and keep them from making me do things like
            purple cotton entrelac dishcloths. <g>