Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Lady Eleanor

  • Emily Franz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
      Theresa...how is this done?  Is it difficult?

      EM

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
        It's entrelac, and I'm about to find out how difficult it is. <g> I'm
        told it's easier than it looks. Famous last words....

        You basically knit a series of short row triangles for the base, then
        pick up stitches along one (non-live) side of the triangles to knit
        the next row of squares (so that the stitches are at a right angle to
        the stitches in the triangle). Then rotate and repeat until the piece
        is the length you want.

        I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm going to practice on a
        cotton dishcloth before I tackle the stole. We'll figure it out! I
        hope!

        Theresa

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
          I wouldn't suggest cotton to learn this with. Cotton has very little
          give. You'd be better off with a wool or wool blend. The stretch
          will make it about a 1000 times easier.

          Oh, btw, sorry I missed last night. I just wasn't feeling well. I'll
          see you all next week!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
            I fell in love with that pattern some time ago, but
            never new that it had a name:) It's definitely on my
            to-do-list...like you I'll have to find the perfect
            yarn.

            Kris

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
              I ordered the book with the pattern but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll
              bring it to SnB once it arrives. The whole book, Scarf Style, is
              loaded with great patterns. I originally checked it out from the
              library but then decided I had to buy it.

              Yeah, I had that same thought about using cotton for practice
              entrelac. I've knit with zero-stretch yarns before (am even currently
              wrangling a chenille into a vaguely scarf-shaped object), and
              forgiving yarns are definitely more ... forgiving.

              I considered swatching entrelac for practice in some leftover sock
              wool. But then a little gremlin whispered, "Make a dishcloth. A
              purple one. In cotton."

              Which just goes to show why I need a flyswatter in my knitting bag.
              To squash the gremlins and keep them from making me do things like
              purple cotton entrelac dishcloths. <g>