Lady Eleanor

  • tstevens_pers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
      First, let me say how much fun I had last night. Thanks for the warm
      welcome! Can't wait to do it again next week!

      We were talking a little about my obsession with Lady Eleanor and my
      quest to find the perfect yarn for it. For those of you who haven't
      seen it, here's a gallery of Lady Eleanors made in a variety of yarns.

      http://sknitty.typepad.com/photos/lady_eleanor_gallery/index.html

      The original pattern calls for 30 oz. of LaLana Random Blends
      variegated (at a trifling $174 per pound)(which I will willingly spend
      just as soon as I win the lottery). Most people seem to be opting for
      making each square or line of squares in a different color to mimic the
      variegated effect of the original yarn. I'm probably too lazy for
      that. ;)

      Theresa
    • Emily Franz
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
        Theresa...how is this done?  Is it difficult?

        EM

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
          It's entrelac, and I'm about to find out how difficult it is. <g> I'm
          told it's easier than it looks. Famous last words....

          You basically knit a series of short row triangles for the base, then
          pick up stitches along one (non-live) side of the triangles to knit
          the next row of squares (so that the stitches are at a right angle to
          the stitches in the triangle). Then rotate and repeat until the piece
          is the length you want.

          I don't know if that makes sense, but I'm going to practice on a
          cotton dishcloth before I tackle the stole. We'll figure it out! I
          hope!

          Theresa

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2006
            I wouldn't suggest cotton to learn this with. Cotton has very little
            give. You'd be better off with a wool or wool blend. The stretch
            will make it about a 1000 times easier.

            Oh, btw, sorry I missed last night. I just wasn't feeling well. I'll
            see you all next week!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
              I fell in love with that pattern some time ago, but
              never new that it had a name:) It's definitely on my
              to-do-list...like you I'll have to find the perfect
              yarn.

              Kris

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2006
                I ordered the book with the pattern but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll
                bring it to SnB once it arrives. The whole book, Scarf Style, is
                loaded with great patterns. I originally checked it out from the
                library but then decided I had to buy it.

                Yeah, I had that same thought about using cotton for practice
                entrelac. I've knit with zero-stretch yarns before (am even currently
                wrangling a chenille into a vaguely scarf-shaped object), and
                forgiving yarns are definitely more ... forgiving.

                I considered swatching entrelac for practice in some leftover sock
                wool. But then a little gremlin whispered, "Make a dishcloth. A
                purple one. In cotton."

                Which just goes to show why I need a flyswatter in my knitting bag.
                To squash the gremlins and keep them from making me do things like
                purple cotton entrelac dishcloths. <g>