Re: [SouthSuburbanStitchnBitch] Where are the LYS?

  • reeno343@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
      Hi M'Ischa.  The new JoAns is *right* down the street from my house so I stopped today, their Grand Opening.  I did pick up some bulky stuff to work on a scarf.  And the new WalMart on Halsted is even closer than JoAns.  I want to make a baby blanket next and am probably going to try to find some 100% wool which I haven't seen around at any of the larger chain stores yet.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope to meet you some Wednesday.

      Kirsten

      Hi Kristen,

      There is Michael's Craft Store in Orland Park and Matteson.  There is also Joann in Orland Park, and off of 162? Torrence.  I saw a new Joann going up on Halsted and near 159th.  Walmart is also a good source.  Michael's usually has 50% coupons in the local papers. That's when I try the more expensive yarns.

      I hope this helps.

      M'Isha

      Brady <reeno343@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone!  I am a new knitter and I was wondering if anyone could
      tell me the best places in the south suburbs to go shopping for yarn?
      I'd love to make it to one of the meetings, hopefully I can work it
      out with my night job.  Thanks for any advice you have.

      Kirsten

      Yahoo! for Good

    • reeno343@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
        Oooh, sounds good.  I hope my kids decide they like to shop for yarn considering I'm going to be dragging them to all these different places soon.

        Kirsten

        This just in!

        There is a LYS Downtown Chicago

        Loopy Yarns
        719 S. State Street
        Between Balbo and Polk
        312-583-9276

        They are supposed to have a lot of the stuff we usually have to purchase online or catalog.  They just opened.  I'm so excited!

        M'Isha

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
          My kids save me from spending too much on yarn, because they make it hard to go to yarn shops! Rebecca told me about a shop she loves in Oak Park- no way am I getting there anytime soon. The drive alone would do me in. It would take about three trips to McDonalds to bribe them. They are both boys, 2 and 5. They aren't much help in the internet yarn shopping category, unfortunately.

          There is a nice 100% wool available at JoAnn, but not Ms or Hobby Lobby. It's called Patons Merino Classic, about $5.99 for a ball of 220 yds. It's quite soft, a nice basic merino. Lion Brand Wool-ease is not too bad for baby things, because it is machine washable. There is also a yarn called Cotton Tots by Bernat. I've seen it at Michaels and JoAnn. It comes in some nice colors- more intense pastels. I need to do a baby blanket for my friend and I think I will use it.

          --
          Jennifer Adams Donnelly
          708-227-7447
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
            The drive is a killer.  I live in Chicago Heights and when I had my last baby my midwife's office was all the way in Oak Park.  The weekly visits at the end almost did me in.

            I'm just now starting to check out my options and most of it still doesn't make much sense to me.  I want to find a pretty variegated merino for the baby blanket.  But I still have to *start* my scarf so I've got a while, LOL.  Thanks for your help.

            Kirsten

[...]

          • MIsha Starks
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
              Hi

              I'm defintely going to try and make it one of these Wednesday's.  Its football season and both my kids are involved.  I have one football player and one cheerleader.  Someone has practice every day and games are on Sunday.  I don't make it out much, but I get plenty of knitting done

              My kids love going yarn shopping with me.  They love to feel the yarns and point them out to me.  Its a great outing.  Next thing you know, they'll start picking out yarn for you to make stuff for them!

              M'Isha