Re: [SouthSuburbanStitchnBitch] Where are the LYS?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi Kirsten!  Welcome!  Hope you can make it next week...  we're a small group so far but we're working on that!

      I get a lot of yarn at Knitting, Etc. at 143rd and LaGrange in Orland Park.  The staff there are a bit crusty if you're young and they don't know you, but once you "prove" you know what you're doing, they warm up.  I've also been to a nice shop up by the zoo... Idea Studio in LaGrange.

      I know Rebecca, the coordinator of our S&B, has several more favorites to recommend.  I've been buying a lot of yarn over the internet- www.knitpicks.com and www.elann.com.  Great, great, great prices.

      Happy Knitting!  Do try to stop by on Wednesday!
      --
      Jen Donnelly

      Hi everyone!  I am a new knitter and I was wondering if anyone could
      tell me the best places in the south suburbs to go shopping for yarn?
      I'd love to make it to one of the meetings, hopefully I can work it
      out with my night job.  Thanks for any advice you have.

      Kirsten

    • MIsha Starks
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
        Hi Kristen,

        There is Michael's Craft Store in Orland Park and Matteson.  There is also Joann in Orland Park, and off of 162? Torrence.  I saw a new Joann going up on Halsted and near 159th.  Walmart is also a good source.  Michael's usually has 50% coupons in the local papers. That's when I try the more expensive yarns.

        I hope this helps.

        M'Isha

        Brady <reeno343@...> wrote:
        Hi everyone!  I am a new knitter and I was wondering if anyone could
        tell me the best places in the south suburbs to go shopping for yarn?
        I'd love to make it to one of the meetings, hopefully I can work it
        out with my night job.  Thanks for any advice you have.

        Kirsten

        Yahoo! for Good

      • MIsha Starks
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
          This just in!

          There is a LYS Downtown Chicago

          Loopy Yarns
          719 S. State Street
          Between Balbo and Polk
          312-583-9276

          They are supposed to have a lot of the stuff we usually have to purchase online or catalog.  They just opened.  I'm so excited!

          M'Isha

        • reeno343@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
            I definitely will, my schedule varies a bit so I never know what night I'll be off but I'd love to be able to make it out there.

            I found Knitting, Etc. while searching a bit online yesterday.  I'm going to try to stop by next week.  I'm also going to check out the two links you gave me.  Just what I needed.  Thanks so much.

            Kirsten
            --
            Sincerely,

            Kirsten Seitz

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
                  My kids save me from spending too much on yarn, because they make it hard to go to yarn shops! Rebecca told me about a shop she loves in Oak Park- no way am I getting there anytime soon. The drive alone would do me in. It would take about three trips to McDonalds to bribe them. They are both boys, 2 and 5. They aren't much help in the internet yarn shopping category, unfortunately.

                  There is a nice 100% wool available at JoAnn, but not Ms or Hobby Lobby. It's called Patons Merino Classic, about $5.99 for a ball of 220 yds. It's quite soft, a nice basic merino. Lion Brand Wool-ease is not too bad for baby things, because it is machine washable. There is also a yarn called Cotton Tots by Bernat. I've seen it at Michaels and JoAnn. It comes in some nice colors- more intense pastels. I need to do a baby blanket for my friend and I think I will use it.

                  --
                  Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                  708-227-7447

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
                      Hi

                      I'm defintely going to try and make it one of these Wednesday's.  Its football season and both my kids are involved.  I have one football player and one cheerleader.  Someone has practice every day and games are on Sunday.  I don't make it out much, but I get plenty of knitting done

                      My kids love going yarn shopping with me.  They love to feel the yarns and point them out to me.  Its a great outing.  Next thing you know, they'll start picking out yarn for you to make stuff for them!

                      M'Isha