Re: Just an observation

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
      I agree completely. I've been trying to figure out how to phrase
      something like this for a while now, and you've done an excellent job.
      Thank you Kris.

      I think taking the phone and other outside conversations away from the
      table will make a huge difference. Besides, it's just good manners.
      ;) I know I've been guilty of checking voicemail and even accepting
      phone calls at the table in the past. Mea Culpa. I will try very
      hard to not let it happen again. We all need to remember our P's and Q's.

      Hopefully we won't have to move again, or split the group due to noise.

      I love our SnB, and want to keep our little (or not so little) family
      strong.

      Becca

      --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, KRISTEN CARLSON
      <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

      > Good day to all,
      >
      > I wanted to bring up some issues that have recently come to light
      regarding our group. First off let me say how much I love our SnB and
      I love how much it's grown over the past couple of years. I love it so
      much that I can't just sit by and not bring to light some issues that
      could potentially hurt it.

      > Looking back over the past couple of years you can obviously see how
      much we've grown. When I first joined it was only 3 regulars, but now
      I've seen as many as 12 starting to come every week. I think it's
      awesome to see our knitting group blossom but with more people comes
      more issues. One of these issues is space. Space can become difficult
      and as we've seen with Caribou it can also hinder growth. With the
      move to Panera we've managed to gain space, but it still feels awkward.

      > Part of that awkwardness also has to do with the volume level of
      this larger group. I certainly don't want to be hushing our crowd, but
      I think we are in danger of being "hushed" by Panera employees and
      customers. Part of this I think stems from the group becoming larger
      and multiple conversations taking place. It can all become a bit
      overwhelming and I certainly don't want that to start happening.

      > The best part about our group was hearing about everyone's week and
      their vent or bitch. It's like therapy and has always made my week
      special. I know there are several of you that feel the same way. I
      want to be connected with you all. To hear about your happy / sad /
      piss-off times. I think each one of us deserves to vent and I know I
      want to hear how everyone else is doing as well.

      > So for the sake of not being rude or over shadowing other members,
      please be aware of your presence at the table. Take your phone
      conversations away from the group. Be aware that starting another
      conversations at the table can make it difficult for others to hear
      the first conversation. I know there are some in our group who are shy
      and who have felt a little intimidated at the meetings. I don't want
      that to happen and think everyone should get a chance to feel apart of
      this great bunch of woman.

      > I think a little structure would do us all some good. If we are
      constantly trying to talk over each other then know one can be heard.
      If we continue to get larger, then we'll have to think about either a
      different location to handle us or potentially dividing the group. I
      really don't like the sound of either of those options. Perhaps
      structuring the group further to where we can have the first half hour
      be a show-n-tell about what we've finished or what we're working
      on...then afterward everyone could get a chance to vent and talk about
      their crazy week.

      > I know a lot of times I like to sit and knit while listening to all
      the stories and I'm sure keeping the communication lines open is a
      sure way to make our group even better then what it is.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
        I agree. I've noticed a dramatic increase in noise level and
        interruptions recently. I know most of this stems from excitement
        because we all want to participate in conversations. But it's
        becoming a bit overwhelming.

        I think we ought to have a rule that cell phone calls must be taken
        away from the group. That would help. Plus, it's just basic good
        manners, something we should do regardless of how many people show up
        on a given Wednesday.

        As to the rest, maybe we can solve this with just a reminder to be
        kind, mind our manners and don't interrupt or talk over other people.

        A half hour for one-at-a-time updates might be good. Though it might
        take more than a half hour, given the size of the group. And then
        after we've all had a chance to hear how everyone's week and knitting
        went, then we could break apart into smaller conversational groups.
        But at least starting off with something more structured would help
        control the chaos and noise.

        Plus it bugs me when I don't get to hear how everyone is doing.
        Sometimes with these side conversational groups, you never get a
        chance to visit with other people at the table. I don't like that.

        Thanks for speaking up on this, Kris. It has been on my mind, too,
        but I didn't know how to approach the group to discuss it.

        Theresa

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
          ravelry has created a page for free magknits patterns. The infamous
          jaywalker is there, as well as many other magknits patterns. Not all
          are available, though, because it's up to the individual designers
          whether to list them.

          http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search/expanded?view=thumbnail&source=magknits&ravelry-download=yes

        • Susan Farbstein
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
            Theresa,
            I only just found out about magknits thru the group yesterday & their dismay over the site shutdown. I am new to these site & not familiar with jaywalker. Is this a legit source for patterns? Thanks for your help & patience in teaching this knitting source novice of internet sites.
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
              Susan,

              Magknits was a legitimate source for patterns. Our group is very
              conscientious of copyright issues. We (and Theresa in particular!)
              would never steer anyone towards a source that wasn't 100% legitimate.
              As you come to know us better, I'm sure you will find that out.

              As mentioned yesterday, Magknits, a free online pattern 'zine shut
              down suddenly. As most of the designers are on Ravelry, they (the
              pattern designers and copyright holders) have graciously allowed
              Ravelry to create a page for finding many of these patterns where they
              are published elsewhere.

              Becca

              --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farbstein"

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
                Gremlins. I blame it on gremlins. Really.

                The fact that I didn't stop to make sure I was the one logged in on my
                computer had nothing to do with it.

                Honest.

                It's all the gremlins.

                Becca

                (really this time)

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Jaywalker is what you might call a legendary sock pattern. Mag Knits
                  was an excellent source of patterns. It will be missed.

                  Ravelry is not posting any patterns without the copyright holder's
                  permission. They're very conscientious.

                  Theresa