Just an observation

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
      Good day to all,

      I wanted to bring up some issues that have recently come to light regarding our group. First off let me say how much I love our SnB and I love how much it's grown over the past couple of years. I love it so much that I can't just sit by and not bring to light some issues that could potentially hurt it.

      Looking back over the past couple of years you can obviously see how much we've grown. When I first joined it was only 3 regulars, but now I've seen as many as 12 starting to come every week. I think it's awesome to see our knitting group blossom but with more people comes more issues. One of these issues is space. Space can become difficult and as we've seen with Caribou it can also hinder growth. With the move to Panera we've managed to gain space, but it still feels awkward.

      Part of that awkwardness also has to do with the volume level of this larger group. I certainly don't want to be hushing our crowd, but I think we are in danger of being "hushed" by Panera employees and customers. Part of this I think stems from the group becoming larger and multiple conversations taking place. It can all become a bit overwhelming and I certainly don't want that to start happening.

      The best part about our group was hearing about everyone's week and their vent or bitch. It's like therapy and has always made my week special. I know there are several of you that feel the same way. I want to be connected with you all. To hear about your happy / sad / piss-off times. I think each one of us deserves to vent and I know I want to hear how everyone else is doing as well.

      So for the sake of not being rude or over shadowing other members, please be aware of your presence at the table. Take your phone conversations away from the group. Be aware that starting another conversations at the table can make it difficult for others to hear the first conversation. I know there are some in our group who are shy and who have felt a little intimidated at the meetings. I don't want that to happen and think everyone should get a chance to feel apart of this great bunch of woman.

      I think a little structure would do us all some good. If we are constantly trying to talk over each other then know one can be heard. If we continue to get larger, then we'll have to think about either a different location to handle us or potentially dividing the group. I really don't like the sound of either of those options. Perhaps structuring the group further to where we can have the first half hour be a show-n-tell about what we've finished or what we're working on...then afterward everyone could get a chance to vent and talk about their crazy week.

      I know a lot of times I like to sit and knit while listening to all the stories and I'm sure keeping the communication lines open is a sure way to make our group even better then what it is.

      Thank you all for reading.

      Cheers and Knit-On

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
        I agree completely. I've been trying to figure out how to phrase
        something like this for a while now, and you've done an excellent job.
        Thank you Kris.

        I think taking the phone and other outside conversations away from the
        table will make a huge difference. Besides, it's just good manners.
        ;) I know I've been guilty of checking voicemail and even accepting
        phone calls at the table in the past. Mea Culpa. I will try very
        hard to not let it happen again. We all need to remember our P's and Q's.

        Hopefully we won't have to move again, or split the group due to noise.

        I love our SnB, and want to keep our little (or not so little) family
        strong.

        Becca

        --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, KRISTEN CARLSON

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
          I agree. I've noticed a dramatic increase in noise level and
          interruptions recently. I know most of this stems from excitement
          because we all want to participate in conversations. But it's
          becoming a bit overwhelming.

          I think we ought to have a rule that cell phone calls must be taken
          away from the group. That would help. Plus, it's just basic good
          manners, something we should do regardless of how many people show up
          on a given Wednesday.

          As to the rest, maybe we can solve this with just a reminder to be
          kind, mind our manners and don't interrupt or talk over other people.

          A half hour for one-at-a-time updates might be good. Though it might
          take more than a half hour, given the size of the group. And then
          after we've all had a chance to hear how everyone's week and knitting
          went, then we could break apart into smaller conversational groups.
          But at least starting off with something more structured would help
          control the chaos and noise.

          Plus it bugs me when I don't get to hear how everyone is doing.
          Sometimes with these side conversational groups, you never get a
          chance to visit with other people at the table. I don't like that.

          Thanks for speaking up on this, Kris. It has been on my mind, too,
          but I didn't know how to approach the group to discuss it.

          Theresa

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
            ravelry has created a page for free magknits patterns. The infamous
            jaywalker is there, as well as many other magknits patterns. Not all
            are available, though, because it's up to the individual designers
            whether to list them.

            http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search/expanded?view=thumbnail&source=magknits&ravelry-download=yes

          • Susan Farbstein
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
              Theresa,
              I only just found out about magknits thru the group yesterday & their dismay over the site shutdown. I am new to these site & not familiar with jaywalker. Is this a legit source for patterns? Thanks for your help & patience in teaching this knitting source novice of internet sites.
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
                Susan,

                Magknits was a legitimate source for patterns. Our group is very
                conscientious of copyright issues. We (and Theresa in particular!)
                would never steer anyone towards a source that wasn't 100% legitimate.
                As you come to know us better, I'm sure you will find that out.

                As mentioned yesterday, Magknits, a free online pattern 'zine shut
                down suddenly. As most of the designers are on Ravelry, they (the
                pattern designers and copyright holders) have graciously allowed
                Ravelry to create a page for finding many of these patterns where they
                are published elsewhere.

                Becca

                --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Farbstein"

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Gremlins. I blame it on gremlins. Really.

                  The fact that I didn't stop to make sure I was the one logged in on my
                  computer had nothing to do with it.

                  Honest.

                  It's all the gremlins.

                  Becca

                  (really this time)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 10, 2008
                    Jaywalker is what you might call a legendary sock pattern. Mag Knits
                    was an excellent source of patterns. It will be missed.

                    Ravelry is not posting any patterns without the copyright holder's
                    permission. They're very conscientious.

                    Theresa