317RE: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Re: Looking for a sock pattern.

  • Kate Johnson
    Aug 24, 2006

      Awesome, Becca, thanks for sharing that.

      Mary – I just started knitting socks myself, so I have a pile of patterns all of a sudden! Sensational Knitted Socks is a good book with a nice standard pattern and good variations to work up to. Big Girl Knits has an awesome build-your-own-sock pattern that’s basically a chart, with some minor math...I’m hoping to make it into a spreadsheet, actually, that does the math for you...if anyone wants it, email me direct, maybe that’ll motivate me. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s Knitting Rules book has a nice sock recipe as well. And if you’re in the area, the ladies over at Knitting, Etc on 143rd and LaGrange Road have a binder full of sock patterns and an equal amount of strong opinions about which one is best.

      Not for nothing, I was cautioned against starting with a toe-up sock if you’ve never done a sock before, although I’m told the Widdershins (Knitty) pattern may convert you forever. I don’t know why exactly it’s better to start with a top down sock, but, that’s what they tell me, and I’m just glad to have more than scarves in my repertoire these days...

      Hope to actually make it to a meeting soon!

      Kate