Re: ? for Tractor Tom

  • Tom Timmons
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 2:00 PM
      Sergio,

      I just sent a query to South Florida Water Management District, via their web site, with your questions. We'll see what the reply is.

      Tom in 'Chobee

      --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "seragram" <seragram@...> wrote:

      > --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Timmons" <ttimmons@> wrote:
      >
      > > The short answer is 'beats the hell out of me'.
      > >
      > Tom this is the only thing I find on the net
      >

      > "Emergency situations will arise occasionally. It is always a good idea to locate the nearest telephone before you hike. should someone in your group become sick, seriously injured or lost, dial 911. Some public phone locations are designated on the map. Users of cell phones should be aware that there are some areas on the LOST where reception is poor. "
      > I just realized there are areas where cell phones do not work. Not good in case of emergency.
      > Sergio (Have to learn how to do smoke signals)

    • Tom Timmons
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 2:21 PM
        Sergio and Everyone...

        I just received a call from Gary Ritter at the SFWMD office here in Okeechobee. Gary is a cyclist, and I met him at the LOST Rotary Ride last weekend and he is on the LOST as often as I am.

        His 'official' answer is to call 911! All the cops, and paramedics and such in Okeechobee have keys to the gates on the path. They can get to you. He had an issue a couple years ago, in Martin County, where a cyclist crashed and the paramedics had to have the fire department cut open a gate to get to a patient. They did, and the fellow survived. NOW, Martin County, Palm Beach County and the rest are supposed to have keys to the gates.

        I was amazed how quickly I got a reply, but my query went to the front office in Palm Beach, was bounced back to Gary here in Okeechobee, and having met me a week ago, he just called me on the phone and we had a nice chat about it.

        I hope this is a help.

        Tractor Tom in "Chobee

        --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Timmons" <ttimmons@...> wrote:

        > Sergio,
        >
        > I just sent a query to South Florida Water Management District, via their web site, with your questions. We'll see what the reply is.
        >
        > Tom in 'Chobee
        >
        > --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "seragram" <seragram@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Timmons" <ttimmons@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > The short answer is 'beats the hell out of me'.
        > > >
        > > Tom this is the only thing I find on the net
        > >

        > > "Emergency situations will arise occasionally. It is always a good idea to locate the nearest telephone before you hike. should someone in your group become sick, seriously injured or lost, dial 911. Some public phone locations are designated on the map. Users of cell phones should be aware that there are some areas on the LOST where reception is poor. "
        > > I just realized there are areas where cell phones do not work. Not good in case of emergency.
        > > Sergio (Have to learn how to do smoke signals)

      • seragram
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 6:05 AM
          --- In SouthFloridaRecumbentRiders@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Timmons" <ttimmons@...> wrote:

          > Sergio and Everyone...
          >
          > I just received a call from Gary Ritter at the SFWMD office here in Okeechobee. Gary is a cyclist, and I met him at the LOST Rotary Ride last weekend and he is on the LOST as often as I am.
          >
          > His 'official' answer is to call 911! All the cops, and paramedics and such in Okeechobee have keys to the gates on the path. They can get to you. He had an issue a couple years ago, in Martin County, where a cyclist crashed and the paramedics had to have the fire department cut open a gate to get to a patient. They did, and the fellow survived. NOW, Martin County, Palm Beach County and the rest are supposed to have keys to the gates.
          >
          > I was amazed how quickly I got a reply, but my query went to the front office in Palm Beach, was bounced back to Gary here in Okeechobee, and having met me a week ago, he just called me on the phone and we had a nice chat about it.
          >
          > I hope this is a help.
          >
          > Tractor Tom in "Chobee

          Thanks Tom I have done seberal LOST rides and some time we are in kind of remte area it puts my minds at ease. Just hope neve have to call 911 while there and i I have to hope I get reception.

          Sergio