Anyone get an 802.11b card working under Linux on the 3120?

  • pliuskon
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2003
      I fought with this for a couple of days, but no go. It seems to be
      hanging when trying to load the "yenta_socket" module.

      I've got an Orinoco Gold card/Lucent WaveLAN.

      Everything else seems to work. I even have my touchpad, and a USB
      mouse working at the same time!

      -S
    • hai
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2003
        I use Microsoft wireless card and wireless router, works fine under
        Mandrake 9.1, problem is, since i use encryption, so for some
        reason, the system doesn't remember my key, so i need to config it
        every time i start up the computer.
        i config my wireless card this way, under /etc/pcmcia there is a
        conf file, add:

        card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"
        version "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
        bind "orinoco_cs"

        at the end of the file before:
        /////////
        # Include configuration files for add-on drivers

        source ./*.conf

        # Include local configuration settings

        source ./config.opts
        /////////

        restart the computer, then run the linux config to config the
        network connection, but if you don't have encryption enable, the
        network will just run.

        the conf line can be vary, but the basic layout is the same, do a
        little search you may be able to find out what does the code means
        and how to write it.

        hope this helps

        --- In SotecNotebook@yahoogroups.com, "pliuskon" <pliuskon@y...>
        wrote:
        > I fought with this for a couple of days, but no go. It seems to be
        > hanging when trying to load the "yenta_socket" module.
        >
        > I've got an Orinoco Gold card/Lucent WaveLAN.
        >
        > Everything else seems to work. I even have my touchpad, and a USB
        > mouse working at the same time!
        >
        > -S
      • Saul Pliuskonis
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2003
          Thanks.

          My issue is probably with the Orinoco card and required drivers. In my
          research, I've seen other notebook owners (several different brands)
          having trouble with the same card and drivers as I am, under Linux.

          Evidently, it worked fine under the 2.2 kernel, but something broke in
          2.4.

          Since my Sotec is setup for dual boot with Win2k and Mandrake, I can
          get by, by using win2k if I really need wireless.

          I've been using Linux since 1994 (Slackware), and it's improved a LOT,
          but it still needs some refinement.

          -S

          --- hai <haihengh@...> wrote:
          > I use Microsoft wireless card and wireless router, works fine under
          > Mandrake 9.1, problem is, since i use encryption, so for some
          > reason, the system doesn't remember my key, so i need to config it
          > every time i start up the computer.
          > i config my wireless card this way, under /etc/pcmcia there is a
          > conf file, add:
          >
          > card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520 1.0.3"
          > version "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "", "1.0.3"
          > bind "orinoco_cs"
          >
          > at the end of the file before:
          > /////////
          > # Include configuration files for add-on drivers
          >
          > source ./*.conf
          >
          > # Include local configuration settings
          >
          > source ./config.opts
          > /////////
          >
          > restart the computer, then run the linux config to config the
          > network connection, but if you don't have encryption enable, the
          > network will just run.
          >
          > the conf line can be vary, but the basic layout is the same, do a
          > little search you may be able to find out what does the code means
          > and how to write it.
          >
          > hope this helps
          >

          > --- In SotecNotebook@yahoogroups.com, "pliuskon" <pliuskon@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I fought with this for a couple of days, but no go. It seems to be
          > > hanging when trying to load the "yenta_socket" module.
          > >
          > > I've got an Orinoco Gold card/Lucent WaveLAN.
          > >
          > > Everything else seems to work. I even have my touchpad, and a USB
          > > mouse working at the same time!
          > >
          > > -S

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • imwf2003
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2003
            I have same problem can't get the pcmcia started. Computer locks up
            everytime I try to start the pcmcia. I was able to test a Dlink dcf-
            660 using Knoppix3.2. I gave up for now on the pcmcia till I can
            figgure out how to get it started in Mandrake 9.1. I did get a
            Netgear MA101 USB adapter working under Mandrake 9.1 found
            instructions by searching Google for the "ma101 & linux" Until you
            get the Pcmcia loading you won't be able to use that type of card for
            your wireless connection.

            That's what I am using right now as a matter of fact.

            good luck

            --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "pliuskon"
            <pliuskon@y...> wrote:
            > I fought with this for a couple of days, but no go. It seems to be
            > hanging when trying to load the "yenta_socket" module.
            >
            > I've got an Orinoco Gold card/Lucent WaveLAN.
            >
            > Everything else seems to work. I even have my touchpad, and a USB
            > mouse working at the same time!
            >
            > -S
          • Saul Pliuskonis
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2003
              Yep. I've given up on PCMCIA for now. I can live without it, since I'm
              dual booting between Win2k and Mandrake. The Orinoco works fine in
              Win2k.

              Time to send my Sotec in to get the noisy fan replaced though.

              -S

              --- imwf2003 <imwf2003@...> wrote:
              > I have same problem can't get the pcmcia started. Computer locks up
              > everytime I try to start the pcmcia. I was able to test a Dlink dcf-
              > 660 using Knoppix3.2. I gave up for now on the pcmcia till I can
              > figgure out how to get it started in Mandrake 9.1. I did get a
              > Netgear MA101 USB adapter working under Mandrake 9.1 found
              > instructions by searching Google for the "ma101 & linux" Until you
              > get the Pcmcia loading you won't be able to use that type of card for
              >
              > your wireless connection.
              >
              > That's what I am using right now as a matter of fact.
              >
              > good luck
              >
              > --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "pliuskon"
              > <pliuskon@y...> wrote:
              > > I fought with this for a couple of days, but no go. It seems to be
              > > hanging when trying to load the "yenta_socket" module.
              > >
              > > I've got an Orinoco Gold card/Lucent WaveLAN.
              > >
              > > Everything else seems to work. I even have my touchpad, and a USB
              > > mouse working at the same time!
              > >
              > > -S

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Daniel Reynolds
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2003
                I've also got Mandrake 9.1 installed and it doesn't appreciate my NetGear MA401
                card ... I haven't had enough determination to fight through it since I figure
                I'll need to devote at least a day or two to figure out Linux's config files
                and pcmcia/network settings.

                - Daniel