Sotec 3120x Hard drive interface Question

  • gotomatosgo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2007
      Hey guys, the original hard drive in my Sotec just failed on me. I
      tried everything to restart it; Freezer, banging... screaming, all of
      which did not work(The Screaming almost did though...). From some
      research I found that the Hard drive (Fujitsu Model: MHR2020AT) uses
      the ATA 100 interface. My question is if I have to get a replacement
      hard drive that uses ATA 100......can I get one that uses ATA-6? I had
      a lot of problems finding a larger hard drive using the ATA 100
      interface. Oh, and is it possible to upgrade those usb ports to USB
      2.0(I noticed a little plug)?

      Thank YOU,
      Mike
    • backporchrock
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2007
        I have a 3120X manufactured 11/2002, factory ID 1.

        About a month ago I put a Hitatchi 100GB 7200/8MB Mobile PATA HD drive
        in it, Tiger Direct part number H450-r042 BM and it has worked
        perfectly thus far. No fit problems. I had a running 20GB drive
        already, so I cloned it with XXCLone, and that actually worked
        perfectly too.

        I tried to make the clone process run fact with a Zonet 2 port 2.0 USB
        card, and putting the new drive in an Ultra USB external case. I thin
        k that did work for cloning, but it wouldn't boot off that external
        2.0 USB. the Zonet card did function fine for doing high-speed USB
        transfers.

        --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "gotomatosgo"
        <gotomatosgo@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, the original hard drive in my Sotec just failed on me. I
        > tried everything to restart it; Freezer, banging... screaming, all of
        > which did not work(The Screaming almost did though...). From some
        > research I found that the Hard drive (Fujitsu Model: MHR2020AT) uses
        > the ATA 100 interface. My question is if I have to get a replacement
        > hard drive that uses ATA 100......can I get one that uses ATA-6? I had
        > a lot of problems finding a larger hard drive using the ATA 100
        > interface. Oh, and is it possible to upgrade those usb ports to USB
        > 2.0(I noticed a little plug)?
        >
        > Thank YOU,
        > Mike

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
          I put the folowing in froogle.com, "2.5 HDD ata 100" and I got back
          almost 500 hits. I don't think you should have any problem finding a
          drive.

          -Chris

          --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "backporchrock"