Interested in upgrading 3120X from 384MB RAM to 640MB.

  • weincap
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2007
      I understand that a 512MB 144-pin PC133 SDRAM SODIMM is required. Any
      recommendations re brands or RAM sources?

      And would you recommend flashing the BIOS from r101 to r110?

      Your advice is welcome, and thank you for your time.

      Ben
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2007
        You can search the forum messages for specific brands that people have
        found that worked or didn't. I would make sure you buy from a vendor
        that will allow you to return the RAM if it doesn't work for you.

        -Chris

        --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "weincap" <weincap@...>
        wrote:

        > I understand that a 512MB 144-pin PC133 SDRAM SODIMM is required. Any
        > recommendations re brands or RAM sources?
        >
        > And would you recommend flashing the BIOS from r101 to r110?
        >
        > Your advice is welcome, and thank you for your time.
        >

        > Ben

      • backporchrock
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2007
          I've always had good results with using 4Allmemory.com for know
          exactly which RAM to use in other workstations.

          Their website listed the 3120X, but indicated that it could only go to
          384MB. Armed with postings from Sotec forums I ordered enough ram to
          bring it to 512MB.

          And, what do you know, they were right. It just went beep-beep-beep
          and refused to boot. I ended up sending it back for the stick that
          brought it up to 384mb, which worked perfectly.

          So, if there's a firmware upgrade needed, I don't know about it. The
          AMIBIOS says it's version 1.30 copyright 2000. If there is an
          upgrade, where would one find it? How reliable is it, given some of
          these were built in China, some in Taiwan? I'm really not wanting to
          turn a functioning notebook into a paperweight just to add 128mb of
          RAM. I just recently succeeded in swapping the drive for a 100GB
          Hitachi.

          <weincap@...> wrote:

          > I understand that a 512MB 144-pin PC133 SDRAM SODIMM is required. Any
          > recommendations re brands or RAM sources?
          >
          > And would you recommend flashing the BIOS from r101 to r110?
          >
          > Your advice is welcome, and thank you for your time.
          >

          > Ben

        • dx31m
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2008
            I have a Sotec 3120x and from the old website I remember them using
            kingston memory for there upgrades.... right now I'm running a
            kingston 512MB 144-pin PC133 SDRAM SODIMM in place of the 128MB and
            it works just fine.

            --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "backporchrock"