3270 fan issues

  • gargrizz
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
      I have been getting the following error on booting:

      "CPU FAN error. Please check it. press F1 to resume"

      I then let windows start & choose "turn off computer". For the last 2
      days this happens every time I boot.

      It happened once last month but it was okay when I restarted it a few
      days later. I continued to use it every day until yesterday.

      I bought a replacement fan but it turned out to be the wrong one. It
      is a E-12 S041019G. My laptop has a E12K S050422B.

      Does anyone know what is causing this error & could I switch just the
      fan itself?

      Thanks,
      gg
    • David
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
        The original fans are total crap. It's the only substantial problem
        I've had with my laptop - and I'm on my third one. I even did the
        painstaking deburring and tiny fiber washers that one site recommended -
        and the second one still only lasted about 8 months. I'm at 6 months on
        the latest one and have had a few of the old noises and error messages
        already. The CPU checks the fan speed at startup, and if it doesn't
        check okay, you get the message.

        There is a guy on eBay that is selling a replacement from Taiwan that I
        will try next. Can't be any worse than the original. Sorry I can't
        give you something more constructive.

        David

        gargrizz wrote:
        > I have been getting the following error on booting:
        >
        > "CPU FAN error. Please check it. press F1 to resume"
        >
        > I then let windows start & choose "turn off computer". For the last 2
        > days this happens every time I boot.
        >
        > It happened once last month but it was okay when I restarted it a few
        > days later. I continued to use it every day until yesterday.
        >
        > I bought a replacement fan but it turned out to be the wrong one. It
        > is a E-12 S041019G. My laptop has a E12K S050422B.
        >
        > Does anyone know what is causing this error & could I switch just the
        > fan itself?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > gg
      • gargrizz
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2007
          Mine is actually 3250, not 3270.

          I got brave this morning & took the fan unit out. It had a bunch of
          lint in it. I blew it out & put it back in. No fan error message now!
          I am going to replace the thermal compound, also. Hopefully it will be
          okay. But I am not real optimistic since, like you said, they have a
          lot of fan issues.

          I have used this laptop a lot & my only complaint is the video card
          will not play one of the games I like.

          Thanks for replying, David. Good Luck with yours.

          gg
        • Connie Klausner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2007

            I have been getting that message on my Sotec on & off for over a year & it still keeps booting up … I just hit the F1 and let it continue.  I guess what I’m trying to say … is that I wouldn’t be overly concerned … Mine is still working years later !!

            Later,

            Connie   Smile!

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2007
              Connie - I did that for over a year myself, however one night it didn't go to sleep as usual, overheated the processor (you could smell it) and that in-turn corrupted the hard drive.  Just be sure you are with it when running at all times and verify it sleeps/shuts down when you expect it to.

              FWIW,
              David

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 21, 2007

                David,

                Thanks for the “Heads Up”  … I will take your advice … My Sotec does get extremely hot !!

                Later,

                Connie   Smile!