Re: [Sotec_Averatec_Notebook] Hard drive upgrade lessons learned

  • tripwire four
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
      I put an Hatachi 7200 rpm in mine and it's been great. I used a different transfer method. I bought a small IDE adapter so I could connect the original Sotec HDD to my desktop. I then used Norton Ghost to place an image of the drive on the desktop HDD. Having done that, I connected the new laptop HDD to the adapter and restored the image. The whole process took about an hour and there were no glitches. I could saved even more time if I had spring for two adapters and done a direct transfer.

      Chris <rdi_caveman@...> wrote:
      Well I upgraded my wife's 3120x from a 4200 rpm 20G drive to a 5400
      rpm 80G drive and the difference is tremendous. Everything is
      quicker. I also learned a lot of lessons.

      1. Damn! USB 1.1 is slow. It took 5 1/2 hours to copy the 20G
      partition from the old drive to the new drive. I bought an 80G
      external USB drive and copied the existing partition to it, then
      swapped drives and now I have a 20G external drive.

      2. It's really easy to swap drives -- just unscrew 8 screws from the
      bottom of the laptop so you can lift off the cover that has the
      touch pad and speakers. Remove the rubber block between the drive
      and the USB ports and you can just lift and pull out the hard
      drive. It is in a little tray with a piece of tape that lets you
      get a handle on it. Four screws hold the drive in the tray - very
      simple, very easy.

      3. Once I copied the partition, I thought I would just use Windows
      XP disk management tools to extend the partition. WRONG!!! My
      drive partition was formated as NTSF and Windows will not extend a
      primary boot NTSF partition. Well, the whole point was to have a
      bigger C: drive so I looked into other solutions.

      4. GParted http://gparted. sourceforge. net did the trick -- I booted
      up the GParted Live CD, expanded the partition, rebooted into
      Windows, let it recognise the new hardware, rebooted again, let it
      run chkdsk and I was good to go.

      BUT, it didn't all go so easily the first time around.
      Unfortunately, the first time I tried to run GParted I couldn't get
      ti to boot from the CD (a problem I also ran into when copying the
      partition but worked around by booting from a USB floppy). I ended
      up using a different program which extended my partition alright,
      but messed up the boot record. I spent all night trying to fix it
      and eventually had to reinstall windows. That messed up some
      drivers and lost SP2 changes so I bailed and started over. The big
      lesson was that if I burn CDs at 4x speed or less I can boot from
      them and I will probably switch back to Memorex CDs which I have had
      no problems with in the past. I eventually gave up and copied the
      partition a second time - another 5 1/2 hours, then used GParted
      which worked great.

      The speed difference is impressive. I would highly recommend an
      upgrade to anyone. I can't imagine what a difference a 7200 rpm
      drive would make, although I don't know if that would take enough
      more power to significantly reduce run time on batteries.

      Chris Kaufman