Re: Fan problem

  • Chris Kaufman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28 6:29 AM
      The Northbridge is a chip that communicates with the computer processor and controls interaction with memory, the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Northbridge communicates with the processor using the frontside bus (FSB). Northbridge is one part of a two-part chipset called Northbridge/Southbridge. Southbridge handles the input/output (I/O) functions of the chipset.

      On my kid's PC we just had the fan go out on the Northbridge chip.  For the particular motherboard that is their PC there isn't much danger of the chip getting too hot since we have good cooling of the case in general.  On your 3150 I would want to replace the fan to be safe.

      Depending on how comfortable you are with taking a laptop apart and reassembling it you could change it yourself or any PC repair shop could handle it.  There a variety of fans available for cooling the ATi Northbridge GPU.  The size factor for a laptop will restrict which ones you can use.

      Chris Kaufman