Repairing Averatec keyboards

  • IraqiGeek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2006
      Hi all,

      I just posted a howto on my website about how to repair worn out keys for
      notebooks in general. I carried this on the keyboard of my 3250, and its
      been working fine for the past couple of weeks.

      You can read the howto at http://www.iraqigeek.com/?p=45

      Some of the pics are blurry, but there is only so much you can do when
      shooting single hand with close ups with a point and shoot digi cam.

      Hope its of any help...

      Regards,
      IraqiGeek
      www.iraqigeek.com

      Murphy's Laws: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
      from magic.
    • tripwire four
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2006
        Nice job on the key repair layout. Your efforts are appreciated. Nice web site too. My old Sotec has held up pretty well so far. The fan had to be changed after the first year but other than that all changes were performance enhancers. I now know where to start when the keys start giving me problems.

        Thanks

        IraqiGeek <IraqiGeek@...> wrote:
        Hi all,

        I just posted a howto on my website about how to repair worn out keys for
        notebooks in general. I carried this on the keyboard of my 3250, and its
        been working fine for the past couple of weeks.

        You can read the howto at http://www.iraqigeek.com/?p=45

        Some of the pics are blurry, but there is only so much you can do when
        shooting single hand with close ups with a point and shoot digi cam.

        Hope its of any help...

        Regards,
        IraqiGeek
        www.iraqigeek.com

        Murphy's Laws: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
        from magic.

        Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/m5T0lB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Kent
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25 9:13 AM
          Hi folks --

          Yesterday, and again today, when I powered on my Averatec 3150, it
          stopped during the CMOS setup, and displayed a message: "North
          Bridge fan error. Please check it." How do I check it? Is this
          something I can do myself, or does it need to go to the shop?

          Thanks --

          Kent Multer |\ /|
          Magic Metal Productions | \/ |
          KOBUSHI taiko drummers | |
          http://www.dallas.net/~kent
        • Chris Kaufman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28 6:29 AM
            The Northbridge is a chip that communicates with the computer processor and controls interaction with memory, the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Northbridge communicates with the processor using the frontside bus (FSB). Northbridge is one part of a two-part chipset called Northbridge/Southbridge. Southbridge handles the input/output (I/O) functions of the chipset.

            On my kid's PC we just had the fan go out on the Northbridge chip.  For the particular motherboard that is their PC there isn't much danger of the chip getting too hot since we have good cooling of the case in general.  On your 3150 I would want to replace the fan to be safe.

            Depending on how comfortable you are with taking a laptop apart and reassembling it you could change it yourself or any PC repair shop could handle it.  There a variety of fans available for cooling the ATi Northbridge GPU.  The size factor for a laptop will restrict which ones you can use.

            Chris Kaufman