Re: [Sotec_Averatec_Notebook] Unable to toggle between LCD and CRT

  • IraqiGeek
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2006
      On Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:56 AM GMT,
      kingstonsean <kingstonsean@...> wrote:

      > I have connected an external CRT monitor, but I am unable to toggle
      > between the LCD and the CRT. If I boot up with the CRT connected then
      > the desktop will appear on both monitors. If I boot up with the CRT
      > disconnected the LCD displays normally, but then when I plug in the
      > CRT it does not "light up", and it does not respond to "Function +
      > F2". The only way to get the CRT display to work is to boot up with
      > the CRT connected and powered on.
      > Averatec suspects that this problem is being caused by software that I
      > have installed. The problem goes away when I do a system recovery
      > from the Averatec discs, but it comes back after a while. I just
      > can't seem to figure out which software is causing the problem. Maybe
      > it is being caused by a combination of software installations.
      > Anyway has anyone else experienced this problem?
      > I have an Averatec 6200 (AV62110X60) running Windows XP Pro SP2.

      I have a 6210 with XP SP2 installed on it, and I had a 17" LCD that I used
      to connect as a secondary display. It behaves in the same way, since the day
      I bought it. It has nothing to do with Windows. Its the crappy SiS driver
      which they (SiS) havent updated in over two years. This is one of the main
      reasons I like VIA and hate SiS. VIA will keep releasing updates for
      chipsets for a good while as they use a unified driver architecture (sort of
      like nvidia)

      Its not a major issue. Just do a restart, its not a big problem. Or, you
      could attach the external monitor whenever you do a restart, and then detach
      it. Once the BIOS detects the second monitor at boot time, you will be able
      to reconnect it at any time later.

      BTW, you could change the way both monitors behave. You could extend the
      desktop horizontally into the second monitor (both with and without the
      taskbar), extend vertically, have the second monitor host the desktop while
      the notebook LCD extends the desktop, and probably a bunch of other
      possibilites.

      Regards,
      IraqiGeek
      www.iraqigeek.com

      If you understand, things are as they are. If you do not understand,
      things are as they are. Gensha, Zen Master