Re: AC Power supply/recharger Light?

  • jupps?
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      Sounds familiar, as this exact symptom has happened to my 3120V about
      a year ago. The problem became worse when I upgraded the computer to
      640MB. When I contacted Averatec tech support, they told me to
      recalibrate the battery (which you already did), and also tried to
      reset the computer by pushing a hidden button at the underside with a
      pencil tip.

      Of course it didn't cure the problem. Then they told me that the unit
      might be pulling in too much power and it could be a problem with the
      motherboard thus I have to send the computer back. Back then I cannot
      afford two weeks of downtime, so the computer is still exhibiting the
      same problem to this day.

      I can usually force it to recharge again by pulling the DC plug off
      (the tip that goes to the computer itself) and then plugging it on
      again. It also helps if you turn the LCD brightness all the way down
      and minimize the computer's power consumption overall while recharging
      (i.e, no usb/pcmcia devices plugged in).

      --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, Nathan L. Silverman

    • Nathan L. Silverman
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Do you think it is possible that the problem is only with the AC power
        supply/recharger and not with the laptop itself?

        May be just wishful thinking on my part of course.

        Have you ever tried using an alternate recharger to see whether it
        happens with any other source?

        I'm thinking of getting the IGO Juice as an alternative which if it
        works would give me the option of sending the original AC power
        supply/recharger into Averatec for exchange without giving up use of
        the laptop. I've seen the Juice advertised elsewhere for about 1/2 of
        retail and it has the advantage of also working in a car, plane etc. in
        addition to home and office.

        The Averatec is so great in every other way that I hate the thought of
        sending it out for repairs or exchange, giving up the known for the
        unknown.

        Nate

      • jupps?
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          I haven't tried an alternate recharger because I localized the problem
          to the laptop itself. Actually, the laptop makes a small whine noise
          while recharging, so I pretty much concluded that Averatec tech
          support is correct in diagnosing that the motherboard draws too much
          power. Note that the problems I described before only occurs when the
          laptop is powered on. No problem recharging it while it is powered off.

          But, hey, who's stopping you from trying a third-party charger. Just
          make sure you can return it to the store in case the original Averatec
          charger turns out to be innocent.

          <n.silverman@s...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > blue.
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions for my problem?
          > > >
          > > > Nate

          > > except

          > > and
          > > is
          > > is

          > > supply/recharger
          This
          > > has

          > > so
          > > hour
          > > not
          > > light
          > > replugged

          > > Terms of

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
          > > <l.gif>
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > > Service.
          > >

          > > This message was scanned by GatewayDefender
        • D. Franks
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004

            can the 3150P be upgraded to 512 RAM?

            Dan

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • T.E. Brewer
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004

              Yes and it makes a significant difference IMO.

              You can read about it here:

              http://www.averatecforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=76&highlight=

              http://sotec.mine.nu/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=1540&rid=0&S=05b4c51dcd418e2e4b379f1acb0e3344#msg_1540

              http://www.averatecforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=283#283

              TTFN

              Tim

              "You only live once - but if you work it right, once is enough." ~ Joe E. Lewis

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                Absolutely! After I had bought mine at Office Depot last year, I
                trotted right over to Microcenter and got the appropriate 512 MB chip,
                opened up the area where the memory is, inserted the new chip, and
                voila! It most defnitely makes a huge difference. Only after I had
                upped the RAM did I then go ahead and start installing programs, some
                of which are RAM-intensive (Photoshop, for instance).