red bar on lcd screen

  • Dustin Stamper
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      i have a averatec 5110h laptop and i love it except for one thing..i had a 1 inch magenta bar appear vertically on my screen.. when i press on the top of the screen it goes away, but reappears when i let go.. i figured the lcd was bad so i replaced the screen.. now my new screen is doing the exact same thing in the exact same spot? anyone else have this happen? any ideas on how to fix it without forking over $250 for yet another lcd?
      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • warp7speed
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        IMHO either you have a bad LCD ribbon cable or the video on your Mobo
        is defective. (Spill any liquids on the notebook?

        --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "Dustin Stamper"
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          BTW, where did you find an LCD screen?

          --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "warp7speed"
          <warp7speed@y...> wrote:
          > IMHO either you have a bad LCD ribbon cable or the video on your
          Mobo
          > is defective. (Spill any liquids on the notebook?
          >

          > --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "Dustin Stamper"
          > <dustinstamper@m...> wrote:
          > > i have a averatec 5110h laptop and i love it except for one
          > thing..i had a 1 inch magenta bar appear vertically on my screen..
          > when i press on the top of the screen it goes away, but reappears
          > when i let go.. i figured the lcd was bad so i replaced the
          screen..
          > now my new screen is doing the exact same thing in the exact same
          > spot? anyone else have this happen? any ideas on how to fix it
          > without forking over $250 for yet another lcd?
          > > --
          > > Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
          > > http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
        • bankynotbrodie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            nothing spilled on it or anything, and after forking over the money
            for a new screen i was extra careful with this one.. i will check
            the cable..and pray its not the mother board.. (i voided the
            warranty by replacing the screen)

            btw. i got the replacement screen new off ebay..

            <warp7speed@y...> wrote:
            > BTW, where did you find an LCD screen?
            >

            > --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "warp7speed"
            > <warp7speed@y...> wrote:
            > > IMHO either you have a bad LCD ribbon cable or the video on your
            > Mobo
            > > is defective. (Spill any liquids on the notebook?
            > >

            > > --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "Dustin Stamper"
            > > <dustinstamper@m...> wrote:
            > > > i have a averatec 5110h laptop and i love it except for one
            > > thing..i had a 1 inch magenta bar appear vertically on my
            screen..
            > > when i press on the top of the screen it goes away, but
            reappears
            > > when i let go.. i figured the lcd was bad so i replaced the
            > screen..
            > > now my new screen is doing the exact same thing in the exact
            same
            > > spot? anyone else have this happen? any ideas on how to fix it
            > > without forking over $250 for yet another lcd?
            > > > --
            > > > ___________________________________________________________
            > > > Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
            > > > http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
          • arcadejedi
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2 2:49 AM
              Hello!

              I am a newbie to this group, but I see I am not the only one with
              this problem!!! Only difference is my vertical bar is teal, and it's
              transperant. If I touch the top of the screen housing, then it goes
              away, release, and it comes back. I think my notebook is under
              warranty with Averatec, only problem is that I am a soldier sitting
              the middle of Afghanistan. I dont have the option of sending it in.
              Has anyone found a solution for this? I thought maybe to adjust the
              tension on the screws that are behind the rubber bump-stops... but I
              have not tried it. Where is your 'bar' located? mine starts just
              under the bump-stop left of the screen latch and is about 1 1/2
              inches in length...

              talk to you soon,
              bruce

              --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "bankynotbrodie"