One man's warranty experience

  • Kent
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi folks --

      The fan on my 3123, which had been occasionally noisy for some time, has
      been getting worse lately, so I finally sent it off for service. I had
      purchased it at Sam's last Spring, and gotten the 3-yr. warranty.

      The repair company sent me a box and a prepaid shipping label to send the
      computer in. It's been a bit over a week, and today they called me with
      the good news & bad news. They can't get parts for it any more, and they
      can't get a replacement. BUT ... they are going to send me a check for
      $799. So I guess I'm reasonably happy with the service.

      My next question is: where's the best place to get a new 3150 these
      days? I have seen a few mentions on this list about a rebate deal at
      Office Depot -- is that still running? As I recall from my original
      shopping, Sam's had a better deal on the extended warranty, just $55 for 3
      yrs. But I just checked Samsclub.com, and found only the larger Averatec
      (5110). Does anyone know if the little machines are still being sold at
      Sams?

      I gather that the 3150 is the current machine in this class, but apparently
      there are different versions at different stores. If anyone can help
      clarify this, I'd appreciate it.

      Thanks --

      Kent Multer |\ /| P.O.Box 701895, Dallas TX 75370
      Magic Metal Productions | \/ | (214) 824 8937 voice/fax
      KOBUSHI taiko drummers | | kent@...
      http://frontpage.dallas.net/~kent
    • Carol Chen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
        Buy.com has the following for sale:

        1. Averatec 3150HD (256MB XP-Home) $899
        2. Averatec 3150HW (512MB XP-Home) $939
        3. Averatec 3150P (256MB XP-Pro) $969

        All have AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 1600+, 30GB HDD, 12.1" XGA TFT,
        DVD/CDRW and Built-in WiFi. They all also come bundled with Linksys
        EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router Kit. Plus free shipping and
        no tax, I think it's a good deal.

        (The basic model which I have is 3150H with 256MB, XP-Home and no
        WiFi)

        -Carol.
      • Carol Chen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
          I meant to say no tax when shipped to Texas (since Kent you're in
          Dallas like me). But there's sales tax for California, Indiana,
          Maryland and Massachusetts.

          --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Chen"
          <carolchen@p...> wrote:
          > Buy.com has the following for sale:
          >
          > 1. Averatec 3150HD (256MB XP-Home) $899
          > 2. Averatec 3150HW (512MB XP-Home) $939
          > 3. Averatec 3150P (256MB XP-Pro) $969
          >
          > All have AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 1600+, 30GB HDD, 12.1" XGA TFT,
          > DVD/CDRW and Built-in WiFi. They all also come bundled with
          Linksys
          > EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router Kit. Plus free shipping
          and
          > no tax, I think it's a good deal.
          >
          > (The basic model which I have is 3150H with 256MB, XP-Home and no
          > WiFi)
          >
          > -Carol.
        • Bill Bowman
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
            Just for my 2 cents worth on this deal. With all the messages posted being negative. I feel this is really no bargain. Fans that either don't last long or are noisey. Service being 3 weeks waiting for a replacement board and still no board. I would spend the extra 100-200 dollars more and go either Dell or Sony. Dell my first choice because I know there service is outstanding. Sony for the little bells and whistles they have that other laptops don't.

            Carol Chen <carolchen@...> wrote:
            Buy.com has the following for sale:

            1. Averatec 3150HD (256MB XP-Home) $899
            2. Averatec 3150HW (512MB XP-Home) $939
            3. Averatec 3150P (256MB XP-Pro) $969

            All have AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 1600+, 30GB HDD, 12.1" XGA TFT,
            DVD/CDRW and Built-in WiFi. They all also come bundled with Linksys
            EtherFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router Kit. Plus free shipping and
            no tax, I think it's a good deal.

            (The basic model which I have is 3150H with 256MB, XP-Home and no
            WiFi)

            -Carol.

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Thomas Perry
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
              This is my 2 cents....

              Dell does not build their own laptops nor design them.  They outsource the development and actual production from companies in Asia.  You are not guaranteed to get better quality than Averatec.  Next, I use my Averatec a LOT and I have had no issues.  You hear a vocal minority.  It is the same way with any product, have a good experience, tell maybe 2 people.  Have a bad experience, people tend to tell 9 people.  That is the way we have always handled products at every company I have worked for in the past.

              Dell does not offer AMD based machines at all.  None.  They limit your choices.  Sony is better, but Sony has a poor slim form factor compared to the Averatec.

              Sony is not 200 more for a form factor similar to the Averatec.  Both have firewire.  Both have USB.  I know nobody that uses the card reader, but there is a keychain USB adapter that works as a card reader on the Averatecs.  What special features?

              With as many Averatec laptops sold in the US from Best Buy, you would expect to see the normal problems noted on the list.  I have never had an issue with the fan.   Mine works perfect.  My laptop runs 24/7.

              I highly recommend the 3120v.  I would never recommend Dell or Sony.  The closest I would get to wasting my money on them would be to purchase an EMachine Athlon 64 laptop.

              Next thing you will hear is people suggesting Apple laptops.

              Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
                I doubt you can find a Dell or Sony with similar configuration for
                an extra 100-200 dollars more. Try 400-500 more instead.

                The thing is most people only post when there are problems. I
                haven't had any fan problems with mine (hope I didn't just jinx
                myself with that). Instead, on my Dell desktop, my fan actually died
                once and had to be replaced. I've also had more problems with my
                Dell than my Averatec, although it's not quite fair to compare since
                I've had my Dell for a much longer time (and it's a desktop vs a
                notebook).

                --- In Sotec_Averatec_Notebook@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bowman

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Hi Carol --

                  >Buy.com has the following for sale:
                  >
                  >1. Averatec 3150HD (256MB XP-Home) $899
                  >2. Averatec 3150HW (512MB XP-Home) $939
                  >3. Averatec 3150P (256MB XP-Pro) $969

                  Those are better deals than I've found aywhere else. But is there any kind
                  of extended warranty available from these folks? I've just been browsing
                  their site, and haven't found one so far ... much as I like the machine, I
                  don't think I'd buy one without some good coverage.

                  Thanks for your help --

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
                    What is the cpu speed of the 3150?

                    Hi Carol --

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
                      >What is the cpu speed of the 3150?

                      1.33 or 1.4Ghz according to some of the sites I've been browsing. There do
                      seem to be different CPUs involved (Athlon XP-M vs. Athlon XP 1600+).

                      Kent Multer |\ /| P.O.Box 701895, Dallas TX 75370
                      Magic Metal Productions | \/ | (214) 824 8937 voice/fax
                      KOBUSHI taiko drummers | | kent@...
                      http://frontpage.dallas.net/~kent
                    • msally2000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
                        For those of you still shopping for one, my 3150HS was bought at
                        Sam's Club, $899.00, no wifi, but it has a 40 gb hard drive---which
                        I would rather have anyway, that the wifi. I bought the 'free after
                        rebate' little wifi usb adapter from eCost, and it installed without
                        a problem and works perfectly.

                        My little Averatec seems to run faster than my HP Media Center PC
                        with 2.6ghz Pentium 4, 120 gig hard drive. It would very well be
                        because I don't have it loaded with all the junk I have on my HP.
                        But I did upgrade the ram, and I have Photoshop, Freehand,
                        FrontPage, and a couple games on it.

                        My fan only seems to run when I turn on the machine,,,after that I
                        really don't hear it. So far, I am very very happy with it, and I
                        hope it continues.
                        Barb