bad laser on combo drive?

  • geocox71
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi, I am the increasingly less proud new owner of a 3150h. Having
      rec'd it Friday(via bestbuy.com) I successfully burnt 1 cd (and
      formatted a direct cd) before the cd recording drive started giving
      me errors.

      For burning / copying a cd (with Roxio), the drive happily scans in
      the entire cd, spits out the source one, but freezes shortly after a
      new (blank) cd is inserted. It then (after 45 or so seconds of
      nothing) gives the following errors:

      E80041882: CD error - power calibration error - [03/73/03]
      E80041925: TrackWriter error - command retry failed - [t7118]

      The person at the 24/7 help suggested that doing a system restore
      might help, but he seemed convinced that the writing laser has gone
      out of whack and the drive will need to be replaced/refurb'ed.

      To echo what many of you have written before, I would prefer not to
      send in the computer right off the bat (despite the 3 day turn around
      time, etc).

      If it is really broken, I might brave going back to best buy and
      demonstrating that it is defective, and roll the dice once more on a
      different one, perhaps risking other potential defects.

      One question I do have is regarding the fan & spacebar problems. Do
      these tend to show up immediately, or do they develop as the laptop
      is used?

      Thank you for your help and I wish my first post to the list was not
      one of frustration.

      Geoff