Portable Power Supply ?

  • passion4oneluv
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2011
      Recently I tried making one with 6 DC cell AA batteries and it worked, but the power drain only allowed about 30 min of usage, if that. Has anyone else tried this? If so, how is it possible to increase the power or life for any longer than that? It didn't drain the batteries, but the SC wasn't able to sustain itself. I know it's a capacitance issue, but I'm not sure how to address that. Any ideas?

      P41L
    • Royce
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2011
        Sounds like you connected 6 in series (+ve to -ve) to make 9V from 1.5V AA. You just add the voltages.

        To increase the capacity (not to be confused with the electronic term capacitance which is not how a battery stores its energy) you connect batteries in parallel.
        +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve
        So you could use two lots of 6 AA batteries connected in series to make 9v then connect the two packs in parallel have the same voltage (9V) but to give you greater battery life.

        An easier way would be to get 6 size C or better yet size D batteries and connect them in series.

        Unfortunately if you use NiCad or NiMH batteries they are only 1.2V when fully charged and so 6 would only make 7.2volts.

        You could get dozens of different sized 12V gel cell (a lead acid battery is cheaper but might be asking for trouble).
        You would have to check that the voltage regulators in the SC would be OK or you could use a cheap 9V regulator (LM7809) and a couple of capacitors. That's what a lot of buskers use and probably what I would do.

        You need to check how much energy the battery can supply
        E.g. 2600mAH (milli Amp Hours) can supply 1 A for 2.6 hours.
        In reality not quite true but close enough for you purposes.
        So the bigger the amp hours the better..

        Royce

        --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "passion4oneluv" <wrkit@...> wrote:

        > Recently I tried making one with 6 DC cell AA batteries and it worked, but the power drain only allowed about 30 min of usage, if that. Has anyone else tried this? If so, how is it possible to increase the power or life for any longer than that? It didn't drain the batteries, but the SC wasn't able to sustain itself. I know it's a capacitance issue, but I'm not sure how to address that. Any ideas?
        >
        > P41L

      • passion4oneluv
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2011
          Thanks for responding. I checked the specs for the SC and its 800 mA. Unfortunately, I do not have an ohm-meter to see how much the 6 series 9v batteries put out. This may possibly be the real issue? I would think there's a portable power source device, that's out on the market that would meet the requirements, but then again, you would think Roland would have indicated or thought of that? I see the mini version of the SC (Roland/Cakewalk SD-50 Mobile Studio Canvas) which is battery operated, is capable, see specs below:

          Power Supply
          DC 9 V (AC Adaptor), Battery (AAx6, ALKALIN or Ni-MH), USB Bus power available
          Current Draw
          450 mA (Bus power), 350 mA (AC Adaptor, Battery) * Battery life for continuous use (differs depending on the conditions of use) Ni-MH battery: approximately 4 hours Alkaline battery: approximately 3 hours

          I'm considering trading, although the SC, is by far, more capable of doing everything else better, except for being portable...Hmmm?

          P41l