USB MP3 File Recognition Problem

  • passion4oneluv
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2011
      Hopefully this group is not totally dead? Is anyone experiencing
      problems with the SC not recognizing added mp3 files? I tried using
      different flash drives only to discover not all files added are viewable
      or are accessible via the SC. They are viewable and playable from the
      computer and show up there, but not using the SC??? Is there a special
      option that's needed to be set or is it possible it's a defect with the
      unit? When the editor is used on the computer the files show up there
      and can be accessed, but I do recall they should be also be
      viewable on the USB drive without having a computer attached.

      FWIW, I also notice when I create the mp3 as "Lame" they will often
      automatically convert to "Pro" and I'm not sure why that happens. I use
      Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (discontinued) to create the wavs or mp3's. The files
      playback ok using winamp as my default player.

      Please help if you can. The SC works just fine otherwise. I'm also
      using Kingston and sometime ScanDisk USB flash drives (2 & 4g).

      P41L
    • Toomas Toimeta
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2011
        First be sure, that mp3 sample rate Nd SC sample rate are the same. If you have changed the sample rate of SC (with the switch on the fron panel), it will not play the mp3 files that are with different samplerate.

        Second, mp3-s must be saved in 16 bit mp3 44.1 or 48 kHz mode and traditional bit rate (128, 256, 320)

        Wav or Aiff files can be both 16 and 24 bit and 44.1/48/96 kHz. I really suggest you to use wav or aiff. Way better quality and less problems with format comaptiblity. If you use SC on stage as file player via profi sound system, you can hear the difference of mp3 and wav/aiff instantly...

        Hope this helps.

        Sent from Tommy's iPad2

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2011
          For those interested or have had similar problems. Make sure you format
          the new USB drive on the SC, and not rely on using the drive without the
          SC format. Copying files to a new drive requires the SC to identify the
          format method used. So in my case, although I had formatted the drives,
          it was not initially done on the SC, thus causing "some" files not to be
          recognized.

          Also, I'm still not sure why the LAME mp3 save reverts to PRO? To defeat
          the file saving as a PRO, I check it by reloading it and then making
          sure it saves as MPEG layer-3[LAME][*.mp3] (http:/www.sulaco.org/mp3/)
          and not as a (mp3PRO®[FhG][*.mp3] file.

          P41L

          --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "passion4oneluv" <wrkit@...> wrote:

          > Hopefully this group is not totally dead? Is anyone experiencing
          > problems with the SC not recognizing added mp3 files? I tried using
          > different flash drives only to discover not all files added are
          viewable
          > or are accessible via the SC. They are viewable and playable from the
          > computer and show up there, but not using the SC??? Is there a special
          > option that's needed to be set or is it possible it's a defect with
          the
          > unit? When the editor is used on the computer the files show up there
          > and can be accessed, but I do recall they should be also be
          > viewable on the USB drive without having a computer attached.
          >
          > FWIW, I also notice when I create the mp3 as "Lame" they will often
          > automatically convert to "Pro" and I'm not sure why that happens. I
          use
          > Cool Edit Pro 2.0 (discontinued) to create the wavs or mp3's. The
          files
          > playback ok using winamp as my default player.
          >
          > Please help if you can. The SC works just fine otherwise. I'm also
          > using Kingston and sometime ScanDisk USB flash drives (2 & 4g).
          >
          > P41L

        • passion4oneluv
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11 8:42 AM
            Thanks for the heads up on the sampling issue. I'm going to try converting the audio files to wav as opposed to mp3. At this point I'll try anything. What about some of my midi files that cause the SC to occasionally lock up too? Keep in mind, these same problematic files play just fine, in other devices and programs? Is this only indicative of the SC?

            P41L