Click Track for Drummer

  • joecats46
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2010
      I don't know if this has been answered in past posts but here goes. I want to use my SC with my band due to the fact we do not have a keyboard player that can fill in some background tracks. Anyway I want the drummer to have a click track so he could keep the time and when certain fills come in it will all sync up nicely. I have midi files with maybe a string section that comes in after the first verse so without a click track we can not seem to hit the timing just right. That is one example, so basically I will be using midi files for backing sounds that can't be reproduced by guitars and drums. How do I do this with the SC?.

      Thanks Joe...
    • Nigel Mulvey
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2010
        I don't actually have a Sonic Cell (just here to observe with a view to buying one) but it would appear to me that what you need to do is prepare your file with your musical tracks panned fully one side and your click track panned fully the other way. Using the left and right outputs into separate lines on your mixer sending the click to the drummer via a monitor output and the keys/strings etc to the FOH mix. Hope this is some help.

        Nigel

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2010
          Here is the way that my band does this:

          Have a standard click off for all songs.
          Feed the backing tracks into headphones that your drummer wears and also into your monitors.
          Practice many, many, many times with this setup to assure that everyone can stay synced.

          A better way is to have another MIDI capable device that you trigger that can feed the click only to the drummer so it is not in the backing track.

          It takes some work, but once you get it down you have have one guitar play cover 3-4 guitar parts, add multiple keyboard layers, and any aux percussion part that you need.

          Michael
          SA.BM59@...