Frustration with Sonic Cell selecting the right patches

  • tobiasbinding
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2009
      Hi all,
      I'm really hoping that someone can help me with this.
      I use a Roland GR20 guitar synth as part of our live set (acoustic roots stuff) and I wanted to get some better string sounds live on stage so....I bought the sonic cell mainly because I could add the SRX strings card and use these.

      The problem is....I am having a heck of a lot of difficulty in understanding how to set the sonic cell up to do a very simple task.

      All I want to do is to set up a simple patch list so that when The GR20 sends for example program change message 1 - the sonic cell selects a patch from the card that I have saved in the memory. I select program 2 on the GR20 and, hey presto, I get the next sound that I want from the sonic cell.

      I know that this will be possible.....but I find the menu lists of the SC very confusing...and the manual isn't much help. I don't even know whether I should be using patch or performance mode.

      Can someone explain to me (please treat me like an idiot!) what I need to do!

      Thanks in advance,

      Toby

      UK
    • pedwards2932
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
        Wish I could be of more help but I just got my Sonic Cell. I am using a GR20 to trigger the sounds and haven't got it totally figured out. This is what I have so far. I think unless you are going to use the GR20 in Poly mode transmission you will need to use Performance mode on the Sonic cell. With the GR20 in Mono Mode it is essentially transmitting 6 midi channels to the Sonic Cell. When I did this and set the Sonic Cell in performance mode it played on all the strings. If you go to patch mode it only seems to play on the one string that is transmitting on the channel the patch is set to recieve. If you set the GR20 on Polymode then you can use patch mode on the Sonic Cell but there are limitations. The bend data isn't transmitted if you hit more than 1 string and pitch change from a bend only goes in semi-tones. This is okay for piano but is pretty annoying on any of the horn or string patches. This is why I think you would use mono mode on the GR 20 most of the time since you have to shut down the GR20 to make the change between mono and poly. This all appears on page 28 of the GR 20.

        Also when I set the GR20 on mono mode and Sonic cell performance mode when you make a program change on the GR20 the Sonic Cell program changes to the next program. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get the patches I want into the user part of the performance mode. Hope this helps. Anybody else in this group using a guitar synth to trigger the Sonic Cell??

        --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "tobiasbinding" <toby-wilson@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I'm really hoping that someone can help me with this.
        > I use a Roland GR20 guitar synth as part of our live set (acoustic roots stuff) and I wanted to get some better string sounds live on stage so....I bought the sonic cell mainly because I could add the SRX strings card and use these.
        >
        > The problem is....I am having a heck of a lot of difficulty in understanding how to set the sonic cell up to do a very simple task.
        >
        > All I want to do is to set up a simple patch list so that when The GR20 sends for example program change message 1 - the sonic cell selects a patch from the card that I have saved in the memory. I select program 2 on the GR20 and, hey presto, I get the next sound that I want from the sonic cell.
        >
        > I know that this will be possible.....but I find the menu lists of the SC very confusing...and the manual isn't much help. I don't even know whether I should be using patch or performance mode.
        >
        > Can someone explain to me (please treat me like an idiot!) what I need to do!
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Toby
        >
        > UK

      • pedwards2932
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2009
          I responded to this yesterday but for some reason it didn't post. I have just gotten my Sonic Cell and am still figuring it out. From what I have seen you have to set the GR 20 to send midi in mono mode which means the Sonic Cell recieves 6 seperate midi channels from the GR20. This also means you have to set the Sonic Cell in Performance mode and set the first six parts (channels) to play the patch you want unless you want individual strings to play different patches. With the GR 20 in mono mode it will send all the bend data properly (in poly mode it only bends in 1/2 steps.
          When you make a patch change on the GR20 it does send a patch change message to the Sonic Cell and I haven't figured out out to control this.....it also sends the expression pedal data when you move the pedal.
          I have a lot to work out before this thing is ready for live performance and the learning curve is massive. Hope this helps some and I hope my old response doesn't come in as that will make this a repeat.