Bypassing the Sonic Cell Sounds

  • ricklyaddams69
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2009
      Hi guys just purchased the SC and for now Id just like to use it to play my midi files before I get stuck into the editing and using the great onboard sounds....my question is what do I need to do for now to bypass the SC sounds and just use the sounds I get in my Cakewalk /Sound Canvas... as what Im getting now is unusable for gigging with....I know I can convert to mp3 but dont have time at the moment to go through that...if I could just play my files Id be happy for now..appreciate any feedback on this please ....thanx Barry
    • passion4oneluv
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009
        shot.

        1st, when you save your midi files select a sound source that is pretty
        generic. By that I mean, I use Roland VSC (Virtual Sound Card) when I
        create my midi files. Sometimes I use BIAB, Real Band or Record Producer
        on my Windows XP latop setup or when I use my desktop running
        Windows2000, I use SBLive! as a sound source. Selecting something as the
        VSC  enables a more unified playback capability no matter what
        program I may use. This may vary if you have a better sound source (USB
        external device or sound card) or if you utilize a different OS platform
        and device.

        2nd, when you load the midi files into the SC you have to be mindful of
        whether you want to use the Patch Mode in the SC with it's sound banks
        or if you choose the "Performance Mode"where you want to keep the saved
        midi files patch selections you've imported.

        I've had this issue on playing back midi files on the SC and had not
        specified a "default" mode upon bootup.

        Anyone else came jump in if I omitted something here.

        Hope this helps?

        Passion4oneluv

        --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ricklyaddams69" <ricklyaddams69@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2009

          Many thanx for the reply..ya checked the power up mode is set to Perform so that seems ok..you mentioned importing midi settings from my sequencer maybe that could be it but how do I go about doing that ? I use Cakewalk pro9 and Sonar Le supplied with SC also got a SB Audigy so the sounds I have are really quite good in time Ill get around to sussing out the great SC sounds.....but for now if I could only play the midis as they sound on Cakewalk I'd be happy...also do you use the SC Editor or do you just load them onto the usb....thanx for your time and info really appreciate all the help I can get here.....once again many thanx....regards Barry

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24, 2009
            When you create your midi files, be mindful of the device you are using
            and how the patch mappings are. I suggested using something like a VSC
            (Virtual Sound Canvas) device option because as a Roland technology, it
            would probably map better when using the file into the SC. That option
            should be selectable in the software program you use. Check your
            devices. Remember, patch mappings are crucial and you should acquaint
            yourself with standard mappings (drum channel=10 or 16, Bass channel= 2
            or 4), these choices are just variables, and as you play midi files
            created by others you will find some consistency, in terms of, what is
            where usually. Depending on the software program ; Sonar le, Cakewalk or
            whatever, you have options as to the device you use and what the patch
            mappings are for it. Also check the manual of the SC for importing midi
            files and the operating modes.

            As far as the particular "sound" choices, that's entirely up
            to you. In the SC when you choose "Patch" mode, you have the
            option of selecting which SC sounds you assign to the channels for
            playing those sounds. In the "Performance" mode you have the
            settings/mappings as they were saved in the midi sequencer program you
            used to create them and when imported/loaded into the SC for playback.

            Hope this sheds more light?

                         Passion4oneluv

            --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ricklyaddams69" <rickly69@...> wrote:

            > --
            >

            > Many thanx for the reply..ya checked the power up mode is set to
            Perform so that seems ok..you mentioned importing midi settings from my
            sequencer maybe that could be it but how do I go about doing that ? I
            use Cakewalk pro9 and Sonar Le supplied with SC also got a SB Audigy so
            the sounds I have are really quite good in time Ill get around to
            sussing out the great SC sounds.....but for now if I could only play the
            midis as they sound on Cakewalk I'd be happy...also do you use the SC
            Editor or do you just load them onto the usb....thanx for your time and
            info really appreciate all the help I can get here.....once again many
            thanx....regards Barry

            > - In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "passion4oneluv" wrkit@ wrote:

            > > shot.
            > >
            > > 1st, when you save your midi files select a sound source that is
            pretty
            > > generic. By that I mean, I use Roland VSC (Virtual Sound Card) when
            > > create my midi files. Sometimes I use BIAB, Real Band or Record
            Producer
            > > on my Windows XP latop setup or when I use my desktop running
            > > Windows2000, I use SBLive! as a sound source. Selecting something as
            the
            > > VSC  enables a more unified playback capability no matter what
            > > program I may use. This may vary if you have a better sound source
            (USB
            > > external device or sound card) or if you utilize a different OS
            platform
            > > and device.
            > >
            > > 2nd, when you load the midi files into the SC you have to be mindful
            of
            > > whether you want to use the Patch Mode in the SC with it's sound
            banks
            > > or if you choose the "Performance Mode"where you want to keep the
            saved
            > > midi files patch selections you've imported.
            > >
            > > I've had this issue on playing back midi files on the SC and had not
            > > specified a "default" mode upon bootup.
            > >
            > > Anyone else came jump in if I omitted something here.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps?
            > >
            > > Passion4oneluv
            > >

            > > --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ricklyaddams69" <ricklyaddams69@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi guys just purchased the SC and for now Id just like to use it
            > > play my midi files before I get stuck into the editing and using the
            > > great onboard sounds....my question is what do I need to do for now
            > > bypass the SC sounds and just use the sounds I get in my Cakewalk
            /Sound
            > > Canvas... as what Im getting now is unusable for gigging with....I
            know
            > > I can convert to mp3 but dont have time at the moment to go through
            > > that...if I could just play my files Id be happy for now..appreciate
            any
            > > feedback on this please ....thanx Barry

          • jastokkan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
              Barry; I hope I understand you correctly. You want to use the variation sounds/pathces in SC, rather than the general midi options? The standard sounds/pathces (general midi settings) is okay, but it is the variations in SC that is great. I've used the SC editor when playing midi through SC in cakewalk and cubase which allows me to change the patch number/name in the editor. However this overrides the patch number setting. I have looked for a patch definition file that contain all the variation patch/names in SC, but haven't found it yet. So I had to find the corresponding patch number (and variation) to the patch name I want and select it for each track (channel) in the sequencer and save the midifile. Then it should be okay to play with SC directly.

              But you probably cannot save the effects setting, which is usefull if you applied effects e.g. fuzz on guitars. The other option is to keep the standard midi patch/sound setting and save some user defined patch setting in SC (either in the module, or through the editor) and switch to your definition when playing the midifile (see the instruction manual). Then you can set up effects as well.

              --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ricklyaddams69" <rickly69@...> wrote:

              > --
              >

              > Many thanx for the reply..ya checked the power up mode is set to Perform so that seems ok..you mentioned importing midi settings from my sequencer maybe that could be it but how do I go about doing that ? I use Cakewalk pro9 and Sonar Le supplied with SC also got a SB Audigy so the sounds I have are really quite good in time Ill get around to sussing out the great SC sounds.....but for now if I could only play the midis as they sound on Cakewalk I'd be happy...also do you use the SC Editor or do you just load them onto the usb....thanx for your time and info really appreciate all the help I can get here.....once again many thanx....regards Barry

              > - In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "passion4oneluv" <wrkit@> wrote:

              > > shot.
              > >
              > > 1st, when you save your midi files select a sound source that is pretty
              > > generic. By that I mean, I use Roland VSC (Virtual Sound Card) when I
              > > create my midi files. Sometimes I use BIAB, Real Band or Record Producer
              > > on my Windows XP latop setup or when I use my desktop running
              > > Windows2000, I use SBLive! as a sound source. Selecting something as the
              > > VSC  enables a more unified playback capability no matter what
              > > program I may use. This may vary if you have a better sound source (USB
              > > external device or sound card) or if you utilize a different OS platform
              > > and device.
              > >
              > > 2nd, when you load the midi files into the SC you have to be mindful of
              > > whether you want to use the Patch Mode in the SC with it's sound banks
              > > or if you choose the "Performance Mode"where you want to keep the saved
              > > midi files patch selections you've imported.
              > >
              > > I've had this issue on playing back midi files on the SC and had not
              > > specified a "default" mode upon bootup.
              > >
              > > Anyone else came jump in if I omitted something here.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps?
              > >
              > > Passion4oneluv
              > >

              > > --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ricklyaddams69" <ricklyaddams69@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi guys just purchased the SC and for now Id just like to use it to
              > > play my midi files before I get stuck into the editing and using the
              > > great onboard sounds....my question is what do I need to do for now to
              > > bypass the SC sounds and just use the sounds I get in my Cakewalk /Sound
              > > Canvas... as what Im getting now is unusable for gigging with....I know
              > > I can convert to mp3 but dont have time at the moment to go through
              > > that...if I could just play my files Id be happy for now..appreciate any
              > > feedback on this please ....thanx Barry

            • ehslade
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
                It seems you just want to play midi files from a stick correct ?

                It also took me months to figure this out it wasnt easy..

                I wrote a guide to help others its in the file section "SMF How to" or linked below

                http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YAfGSr_GrnHsxBtvkXSGuDpgle7NCAKj_erjOlUyzUqoHOWStRPrduSAWLoekLqBYD0yNs2z90HPTzwuUThfkDtcin5s8g/SMF%20How%20To.pdf

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2009
                  it seems you just want to play midi files on the SC right ?

                  follow the guide i wrote.. took me ages to figure it out too !

                  http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YAfGSr_GrnHsxBtvkXSGuDpgle7NCAKj_erjOlUyzUqoHOWStRPrduSAWLoekLqBYD0yNs2z90HPTzwuUThfkDtcin5s8g/SMF%20How%20To.pdf

                  its also int he files section - SMF How To