USB Control Keyboard and SC

  • ophirmm
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      Can I plug my USB control keyboard to the SC through the USB port on the SC and not
      through the MIDI In?
    • Gina Paoli
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
        No. A computer is required to use the USB output on both the SonicCell and
        any keyboard/controller. You would either have to use the midi in of the
        SonicCell or else plug the usb controller into the same computer that the
        SonicCell's USB is plugged into and then route it back to the soniccell via
        a software program that is midi capable such as SonarLE or linking utility
        like Midi-Yoke.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
          Based on what I read in the Roland Clan Forum, you may be able to get
          power for a midi controller from the Sonic Cell USB. But you would
          need to use the regular midi ports and cables to transmit midi data.

          http://forums.rolandclan.info/?
          action=show_thread&thread=24783&fid=28&page=1

          --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ophirmm" <ophirmm@...> wrote:

          > Can I plug my USB control keyboard to the SC through the USB port on
          the SC and not
          > through the MIDI In?

        • hanoversusan
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
            Addendum: The post is called (Stupid Sonic Cell Trick - Part One"

            --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "hanoversusan" <sfbagot@...> wrote:

            > Based on what I read in the Roland Clan Forum, you may be able to
            get
            > power for a midi controller from the Sonic Cell USB. But you would
            > need to use the regular midi ports and cables to transmit midi data.
            >
            > http://forums.rolandclan.info/?
            > action=show_thread&thread=24783&fid=28&page=1
            >

            > --- In SonicCell@yahoogroups.com, "ophirmm" <ophirmm@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can I plug my USB control keyboard to the SC through the USB port
            on
            > the SC and not
            > > through the MIDI In?

          • Jason
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
              yeah, that would be me. I have a Novation X-station 61 that can run
              from USB power- sure enough- it powered it fine. I actually used it
              this way live- just the SC was plugged into the powerbar- worked
              great. Now, I haven't tried splitting it (and running a USB powered
              light/fan/gizmo)- I am curious how little voltage is needed to power
              my X-61- I also didn't test out if there would be any issues running a
              fantom powered mic through my X-61- through the SC's USB port.