Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

712Jan 1969 to Aug 1974 The Nixon years, 2nd ed. part 6

Expand Messages
  • dick.mcmanus
    Oct 24, 2013
    • 0 Attachment

      Colonel Paul L.E. Helliwell  --  At the end of the World War II, most of the money in Asia was in the hands of relatively few people: those who had managed to hold onto what they had before the war, and those who had taken advantage of the war to help themselves to the wealth of others. For example, the plunder by the Japanese Army took in their expanding their empire in China, etc. Helliwell supported right-wing groups all over Asia by drawing on the coffers of the Chiangs, the Korean generals, and the kuromaku of Japan, foremost among them General Kodama.


      Half of Kodama's personal wartime hoard of $200 million was turned over to the US Army’s Counter-Intelligence Corps (CIC) in 1948, as part of the complex deal worked out between Gen. MacArthur and the Korean generals for Kodama's freedom and that of his powerful cellmates. The $100 million that the CIC got, shy of what it had to split with the generalissimo (perhaps fifty-fifty), became seed money and fertilizer for Helliwell's money tree. The Counter-Intelligence Corps and its successor agency, the CIA, naturally never revealed exactly how they spent the $100 million provided by Kodama. The CIC used Kodama first to pay off pro-American politicians in Japan, Korea, Thailand, and Indonesia.


      In 1951, Colonel Paul L.E. Helliwell (an active leader in the Florida Republican Party) helped set up and run the CIA's Bangkok trading (front) company, Sea Supply Corporation.  It provided cover for CIA officers advising the drug-smuggling Thai border police.  For almost 10 years, Sea Supply was used to supply huge amounts of weapons and equipment to 10,000 Nationalist Chinese [KMT] troops in Burma as well as to Thailand's police.  


       A program similar to Helliwell's was set up by a Hungarian-born OSS officer, Nicolas Deak. Eventually, this matured into the legitimate money trader Deak & Company, a glossy firm with

      fifty-nine international offices. Deak's services were used by the CIA's Kim Roosevelt to finance the 1953 coup against Mohammed Mossadeq in Iran, which involved paying massive bribes to undermine Mossadeq in favor of the young Shah.


      Kodama worked for  ten years as an employee of MacArthur’s US Army, G-2 (military intelligence staff), and was officially put on the CIA payroll in 1958.   That same year, he became the Lockheed agent in Japan, receiving $6.3 million in bribes either from Lockheed or from the CIA through Lockheed during the years from 1966 to 1972. Kodama preferred cash, so Lockheed delivered it to him via Deak & Company couriers. The Lockheed affair climaxed in 1976 with the arrest of Prime Minister Tanaka for bribery, of which he was later convicted.


      Dale Holmgreen was the CIA officer running the CIA’s front company airlines Civil Air Transport and he acted as the chairman or CEO of this company  Civil Air Transport later became Air America.


       President Kennedy wanted to expel Air America, the CIA's front company airline drug smuggling from Laos.   In 1962, Bobby Kennedy indicted Sea Supply's manager for having bribed a US official in Laos.  This prosecution was blocked by JFK's ultra right-wing, political enemies and Air America kept its contract in Laos. (The Strength of the Wolf, p. 262)


      The head of Federal Narcotics Bureau, Harry Anslinger, stated that the CIA and Hoover subverted a grand jury that had been convened in Miami to probe the financial affairs of dozens of top mobsters. (The Strength of the Wolf, pgs. 260- 261)


      By contrast, the Kennedy administration's war on organized crime was highly effective: indictments against mobsters rose from zero to 683; and the number of defendants convicted went from zero to 619.




       The CIA, via its Sea Supply Company, threw its full support behind General Phao, making him the strongest man in Thailand. In exchange, Phao allowed the CIA to develop two Thai paramilitary organizations, the Police Aerial Reconnaissance Unit and the Border Patrol Police (BPP). To manage the training and equipping of the BPP, the CIA brought in Paul Helliwell, one of their specialists on forming front companies and laundering funds for "black" operations, to set up a cover organization operating out of Miami.


      To cover a fraction of the cost of the massive covert operations, CIA officer Helliwell and Bebe Rebozo established and directed a string of drug money-laundering banks for the CIA.   



      Major General John K. Singlaub is a highly-decorated former OSS officer who parachuted into occupied France to organize, train and lead a French Resistance unit which provided assistance to the allied invasion forces. He then went to China to train and lead Chinese guerrillas against the Japanese. Just before the Japanese surrender, he led a parachute rescue mission behind enemy lines which resulted in the surrender of an enemy Prisoner of War camp and the subsequent release of 400 Allied prisoners.


      Singlaub was assigned as Chief of a U.S. Military Liaison Mission to Mukden, Manchuria, where he served for three years immediately following World War II. He served two tours during the Korean war, one with the CIA.  He was a founding member of the CIA.  


           To retaliate against Communist China for its intervention into the Korean War, President Truman had ordered the CIA to organize these Nationalist elements inside Burma for an invasion of China. The idea was that the masses of southwestern China would rise up in revolt against communism and China would evidently pull its troops out of Korea, and our troops in Korea would be saved.


           After their invasions of 1950 were repulsed with heavy casualties, these Nationalist troops camped along the border for another decade and turned to opium trading to finance their operations. Forcing local hill tribes that produced opium, the Nationalist troops supervised a massive increase of opium production on the Shan Plateau of Burma. After the Burmese army evicted them in 1961, the Nationalist forces established a new base camp just across the Burma border in Thailand and from there dominated the Burma opium trade until the mid-1980s. By the early 1960s, when this CIA operation finally ended, Burma's opium production had risen from fifteen to three hundred tons, thus creating the opium zone that we now call the Golden Triangle.


      Over the next decade, Burma's Shan states were transformed into the world's largest opium producer. The CIA's alliance with the opium armies in the Burma-Thai borderlands lasted for a decade. The CIA delivered arms to their forces in Burma and then loaded opium aboard Civil Air Transport planes for the return flight to Bangkok. Infiltration routes for CIA commando teams into Southern China were also used as drug smuggling routes for traffickers in Burma and Thailand. The CIA maintained five secret training camps and two key listening posts in the Shan states, protected by drug smuggling KMT (Nationalist Chinese) troops and local tribesmen. 

       To do this the CIA used its front company, Sea Supply Company.  (The Strength of the Wolf, p. 274 and CIA: The Inside Story, by Andrew Tully)


      The CIA was actually flying opium, not simply protecting drug warlords.   On August 30, 1964, Major Stanley C. Hobbs was caught smuggling 57 pounds of opium from Bangkok to South Vietnamese officers in Saigon on Air America.    His general court martial in November 1964, at Ryukyu Island  (aka Okinawa) was conducted in secret for security reasons.  The records of the trial have been lost, though he was convicted.  Hobbs was merely fined $3,000 and suspended from promotion for five years.   He served no time. (The Strength of the Wolf, p. 336)




      On January 24, 1964, a highly secret Studies and Observation Group (SOG) was created under (Military Advisory Command-Vietnam MACV, or MACV-SOG.  Kennedy and Johnson expressed enthusiasm for covert operations, but worried over the possibility of unintended consequences over upsetting the situation in Laos and instigating international criticism if the covert war became public.  The 1962 Geneva Accords’ prohibited foreign forces entering Laos, so it was a violation of international UN law, a breach of the peace and the supreme international war crime.  They also fretted destabilization might prompt the Peoples Republic of China, creating a second Korean War or a nuclear war.   So these presidents and Singlaub were guilty of a war crime.


      Singlaub served as commander of the Joint Unconventional Warfare Task Force (MACVSOG) in Vietnam/ Laos from 1966 to 1968.   On March 21, 1977, Pres. Carter relieved him of duty for failing to respect the President's authority as Commander-in-Chief.


      In 1979, Singlaub, worked with others to found the Western Goals Foundation.  He also was the founder in 1981 of the United States Council for World Freedom, the U.S. chapter of the World Anti-Communist League (WACL). The chapter became involved with the Iran–Contra affair.   The Associated Press reported that, "Singlaub's private WACL group became the public cover for the White House operation."  This raises my suspicion that he played a part in moving the shadow CIA’s drug money profits into US anti-war protesters operations and into Republican campaigns.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_K._Singlaub


      Brigadier General Harry C. (Heinie) Aderholt ran covert operations throughout Asia with Major General John Singlaub.   (The Crimes of Patriots by Jonathan Kwitny and Wall Street Journal reporter)


      While flying in the Korean War, Aderholt commanded a special troop carrier squadron responsible for covert air support in special operations. Following his Korean tour, Aderholt was assigned as the commander of the air training branch of the CIA.


      In December 1966 he was assigned to activate the 56th Air Commando Wing at Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand. He commanded from December 1966 to December 1967. http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=35&contentid=4023&page=2


      In June 1970, returned to Thailand, this time for a two-year tour of duty as chief of the Air Force Advisory Group, Joint U.S. Military Advisory Group, in Bangkok. He retired from active military duty in December 1972.   He was recalled to active duty in October 1973 and assigned as deputy commander, United States Military Assistance Command, Thailand, and deputy chief, Joint United States Military Advisory Group, Thailand, with headquarters at Bangkok. In May 1975, he became commander to these out-fits.  He again retired in 1976.



      Brigadier General Edwin F. Black was a former OSS officer from 1943 to the end of WWII, he was a member of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) (Special Operations) in England, France and Germany.  He also served as OSS representative at the Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Force.  In July, 1945, he became commander of the OSS Detachment, Berlin and Germany.

      In October, 1952 and he was assigned to the Office of the Secretary of Defense as Military Assistant to the Deputy for Psychological Policy.  In February, 1953, he was named Assistant to the Assistant for National Security Council Affairs, ISA, OSD, where he served until June 1954.
      In August, 1958, he returned to the United States and was assigned to the Executive Office of the President for duty with the staff of the Operations Coordinating Board, Washington, D.C.

      In June, 1959 he moved to the Office of the Secretary of Defense as Military Assistant to the Deputy Secretary of Defense.  He assumed command of Headquarters, U.S. Army Support,
      Korat, Thailand at Camp Friendship on 11 December, 1966.


      Major General Richard Secord was assigned to Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand In August 1966,  At the time he was stationed in Thailand as deputy air wing commander and provided Hmong military leader and Royal Lao Army Major General Vang Pao with tactical air support. Ron Rickenbach, a former USAID official who served at the time, made an unsubstantiated allegation that Vang Pao occasionally used these aircraft to transport opium


      In June 1972, General Secord was assigned as a staff assistant in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C. His duties included serving as desk officer for Laos, Thailand and Vietnam under the assistant secretary of Defense for international security affairs.



      The third major player in the beginning at Nugan Hand Bank was a guy from Texas, Maurice Bernie Houghton.  He was former a US Naval Intelligence undercover agent – probably with for Task Force 157 and was the Saudi Arabian representative for the bank. 

      By 1975, Michael Hand, with the help of Bernie Houghton had opened a branch in Hong Kong which led to more international branches finally registered as a corporation in the Cayman Islands.

      Lieutenant General Leroy J. Manor became Commander of the US Air Force Special Operations Force, precursor to the Air Force Special Operations Command, in February 1970.  Manor was appointed the Deputy Director of CIA for economic research and was a specialist in petroleum.


      Manor was in the task force commander of Operation Ivory Coast, a special forces raid to try rescue American POWs from on the prisoner of war camp at Son Tay, North Vietnam on November 21, 1970.  This covert operation was made public as a mission to rescue US POWs, but below, I discuss that its really a mission to show the Soviets and North Korea that we could kill their military advisors with using nuclear weapons.  These advisors were advising the North Vietnamese about the use of Soviet missiles that were shooting down American bombers. 


      In February 1971, Manor became Deputy Director for Operations/Special Assistant for Counterinsurgency and Special Activities, Joint Staff at Washington, D.C. On November 1, 1976, he was promoted to Lieutenant General and served as the Chief of Staff, United States Pacific Command until his retirement from the Air Force on 1 July 1978.


      Following retirement, he represented the Joint Chiefs of Staff and CINCPAC as senior military negotiator and advisor to the US Ambassador to the Philippines for the Military Bases Agreement (MBA) and the U.S. government’s liaison officer to Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos.  


      Rear Admiral Earl F. Yates in early 1977 became the president of the Nugan Hand Bank in Sydney, Australia. He was also the director of the company in the Grand Cayman Islands. 


      He was the formerly chief of strategist planning for the U.S. Pacific Command and senior aide to the Secretary of the U.S. Navy. His final assignment was Deputy Chief of Staff U.S. Pacific Command during the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Vietnam in 1974.  He retired chief strategist for the U.S. Pacific Command.   William Colby served as legal council to Admiral Yates.   In 1977, Colby founded a Wash. D.C. law firm--Colby, Miller & Hanes. 


      William Colby in 1959 became the CIA's Deputy Chief and then Chief of Station in Saigon, Vietnam, where he served until 1962.  He was in charge of 40 to 50 CIA career officers and was supported by several thousand US mercenaries and pilots on contract with the CIA. He started the CIA’s secret war in Laos.  In 1962, President Kennedy asked the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to find people in Laos who valued their independence enough to resist the North Vietnamese encroachment into their country. (The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence, p. 205)


      From 1962 to 1968 Colby worked as Deputy and then Chief of CIA's Far East Division - Vietnam, Laos, Thailand Indonesia, Japan, Korea, and China.  Colby was the boss of CIA officer Ted Shackley who was tasked the special assignment to run the CIA’s secret war against North Vietnamese in Laos in 1965.  In 1966 Shackley was placed in charge of CIA secret war in Laos.


      In 1968, Colby was ordered back to Vietnam to become the Deputy to Robert Komer.  CIA officer Komer was in charged of CORDS program, the  U.S./South Vietnamese rural pacification effort. This was an attempt to quell the Communist insurgency in South Vietnam.  CORDS was also connected with the Phoenix (death squad) Program,  On the face of it this appears to be a demotion, but it may more importantly be evidence that the CIA knew it was a war crimes to use death squads and torture in South Vietnam.  Ted Shackley and George Weisz were in charge of the CIA’s Chief of station in Saigon from 1968 to 1971.         


      By 1969 the CIA, through Phoenix, was targeting individual VCI and their families all across Vietnam. Over 20,000 people were assassinated by the end of the year and hundreds of thousands had been tortured in Province Interrogation Centers.


      After an investigation in 1970, four members of Congress concluded that he CIA's Phoenix Program violated international law, stating, "we appear to have violated the 1949 Geneva Convention for the protection of civilian people."


               During the hearings, U.S. Representative Ogden Reid said, "if the Union had had a Phoenix program during the Civil War, its targets would have been civilians like Jefferson Davis or the mayor of Macon, Georgia."

               But the American establishment and media denied it then, and continue to deny it until today, because Phoenix was a genocidal program -- and the CIA officials, members of the media who were complicit through their silence, and the red-blooded American boys who carried it out, are all war criminals.

               General Bruce Palmer, commander of the same Ninth Division that devastated Kien Koa Province in 1969, objected to the "involuntary assignment" of American soldiers to Phoenix. He did not believe that "people in uniform, who are pledged to abide by the Geneva Conventions, should be put in the position of having to break those laws of warfare."         Neil Sheehan, author of the book, Bright Shining Lie, confessed that in 1966 he saw US soldiers massacre as many as 600 Vietnamese civilians in five fishing villages.

      Source: Bob Kerry, CIA War Crimes and the need for a War Crimes trial by Douglas Valentine, Everything You Know Is Wrong, The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies, page 38 - 43.  Douglas Valentine is the author of The Phoenix Program, the only comprehensive account of the CIA's torture and assassination operation in Vietnam.



           The Phoenix Program was established in June 1967 by members of the CIA's Saigon station; it coordinated Counter-Terror and Interrogation Center Programs, as well as all other intelligence, security, and counter-insurgency programs.

           The Phoenix program in Vietnam was a massive U.S.-backed program to compile arrest and assassination lists ("Subversive Control Watch Lists") of the Viet Cong for action by CIA-created Provisional Reconnaissance Unit (aka death squads). In fact, former Director of the CIA William Colby compared the Indonesian operation directly to the Vietnam Phoenix Program. Colby further admitted directing the CIA to concentrate on compiling lists of members of the PKI and other left groups.

            As a matter of course, the Agency develops close relationships with security services in friendly nations and exploits these in many ways-by recruiting unilateral sources to spy on the home government, by implementing pro-U.S. policies, and by gathering and exchanging intelligence. As one aspect of those liaisons, the CIA universally compiles local "Subversive Control Watch Lists" of leftists for attention by the local government. Frequently that attention is the charter of government death squads.

      From the earliest days, the CIA's International Organizations Division (IOD) implemented and coordinated its extensive covert operations. The division's activities created or assisted international organizations for youth, students, teachers, workers, veterans, journalists, and jurists. The CIA used, and continues to use, the various labor, student, and other suborned organizations not only for intelligence and propaganda purposes, but also to participate in elections and paramilitary operations and to assist in overthrowing governments. At the same time, the CIA manipulates their organizational publications for covert propaganda goals.

            The labor unions the CIA creates and subsidizes, in their more virulent stages, provide strong-arm goon squads who burn buildings, threaten and beat up opponents, pose as groups of the opposition to discredit them, terrorize and control labor meetings, and participate in coups.

      Colby was again promoted as Executive Director of CIA in 1971.   In early 1973, Colby became Deputy Director for Plans CIA’s Plans Division, aka CIA’s world wide clandestine branch.

      After long-time CIA Director Richard Helms was dismissed by President Nixon in 1973, James Schlesinger was appointed CIA Director. When President Nixon reshuffled his agency heads and made Schlesinger Secretary of Defense, William Colby became CIA Director from 1973 to late 1975.  In April 27, 1996, Colby died in a suspicious boating accident near his home. 


      Other members of the Nugan Hand Bank outfit/mafia:


       Dr.Guy Parker (an expert from the RAND Corporation who came on as a bank consultant);

       Donald Beazley   President of Nugan Hand Banking Group International , (API Distributors, Houston, TX, Pres. Of City Bank.      


      In May, 1980 CIA helps Hand and Bank President Donald Beasley escape to the U.S. The CIA and Australian Security Intelligence Organization cover everything up. Beazley appointed President of Miami City National Bank, run by Alberto Dugue for 'laundering' profits from the CIA Colombian cocaine operation.


      Richard L. Armitage (was special consultant to the Pentagon in Thailand who oversaw the transfer of heroin profits from Indonesia to Shackley's account in Tehran),  

      George Farris  (worked in the Nugan Hand Hong Kong and Washington, D.C. offices. Farris was a military intelligence specialist who worked in a special forces training base in the Pacific).

      Patry Loomis (former CIA officer).