Off topic gaming help

  • blueboybythesea
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
      I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.

      Thanks in advance any help.

      Jim
    • Colin MacMillan
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2012
        I know of the Milton Bradley one, gee, this dates from 1960 something, but it had such a cool cover I bought an old beat up copy - and the fact that I love aireal WW1 combat. It used a square board, with trenches down the middle.

        Here's the image from boardgamegeek - is this the one?

        http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1509/dogfight

        Colin
        (NZ)

        I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.

        Thanks in advance any help.

        Jim

      • Andy Pattison
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
          He might also like to try Richthofen's War which I am sure you can do as
          Solo:

          http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1711/richthofens-war

          Cheers

          Andy

          On 20 December 2012 03:38, Colin MacMillan <colinmacmillan@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I know of the Milton Bradley one, gee, this dates from 1960 something, but
          > it had such a cool cover I bought an old beat up copy - and the fact that I
          > love aireal WW1 combat. It used a square board, with trenches down the
          > middle.
          >
          > Here's the image from boardgamegeek - is this the one?
          >
          > http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1509/dogfight
          >
          > Colin
          > (NZ)

        • Colin MacMillan
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
            Yep - got that one too. And the maneuvre cards.

            He might also like to try Richthofen's War which I am sure you can do as
            Solo:

            http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1711/richthofens-war

            Cheers

            Andy

            On 20 December 2012 03:38, Colin MacMillan <colinmacmillan@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I know of the Milton Bradley one, gee, this dates from 1960 something, but
            > it had such a cool cover I bought an old beat up copy - and the fact that I
            > love aireal WW1 combat. It used a square board, with trenches down the
            > middle.
            >
            > Here's the image from boardgamegeek - is this the one?
            >
            > http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1509/dogfight
            >
            > Colin
            > (NZ)

            Shortcut URL to this page:

          • Dale Hurtt
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
              It sounds like you may be referring to the game "Ace of Aces. "

              http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series

              Excellent visual game.

              --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...> wrote:

              > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
              >
              > Thanks in advance any help.
              >
              > Jim

            • llbowler
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                You might also be considering Wings of Glory which is a very easy to play game. It uses cards to represent the planes and for maneuvering. It is a fun game. Lloyd

                --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...> wrote:

                > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
                >
                > Thanks in advance any help.
                >
                > Jim

              • Colin MacMillan
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                  Which I STILL have, plus the additional aircraft.
                  Then I bought the 'Wild West Gunfight' set, ... I just didn't know when to stop!  : - )

                  It sounds like you may be referring to the game "Ace of Aces. "

                  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series

                  Excellent visual game.

                  --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...> wrote:

                  > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance any help.
                  >
                  > Jim

                • David Woollcombe-Gosson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 20, 2012
                    Jim,
                    The game you describe sounds a lot like 'Wings of War'. The latest edition of Lone Warrior (181) has an article by Paul Le long on solo WoW.
                    Regards & Happy Xmas
                    Dave

                    To: SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 21, 2012
                      Given the nature of the injury you describe, I would stay away from Wings of War/Wings of Glory. The miniature movement is fiddly, the miniatures skid easily, and measurement and angles all require you to bend over the table. Definitely not for the chair-bound.

                      Dale

                      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...> wrote:

                      > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance any help.
                      >
                      > Jim

                    • Mike NotSpecified
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 21, 2012
                        Are you thinking of "Ace of Aces"? Each player has a book of cockpit views,
                        after you each select your move it directs you each to a new page in your
                        respective book that contains the appropiate cockpit views for the new
                        situation

                        On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:57:02 -0000
                        "Dale Hurtt" <dale_hurtt@...> wrote:
                        > Given the nature of the injury you describe, I would stay away from Wings of
                        >War/Wings of Glory. The miniature movement is fiddly, the miniatures skid
                        >easily, and measurement and angles all require you to bend over the table.
                        >Definitely not for the chair-bound.
                        >
                        > Dale
                        >
                        > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...>
                        >wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his)
                        >>who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane
                        >>card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from
                        >>the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of
                        >>the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I
                        >>cannot find the post one any of sites.
                        >>
                        >> Thanks in advance any help.
                        >>
                        >> Jim

                      • McLoughlin, Mat
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 21, 2012
                          Hello-That's probably Milton Bradley's dogfight, part of the American Heritage series, you can find it on E-bay or places selling vintage games. As I remember the cards did all the work so it would work well solo-Thanks, Mat

                          "Dale Hurtt" <dale_hurtt@...<mailto:dale_hurtt%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                          > Given the nature of the injury you describe, I would stay away from Wings of
                          >War/Wings of Glory. The miniature movement is fiddly, the miniatures skid
                          >easily, and measurement and angles all require you to bend over the table.
                          >Definitely not for the chair-bound.
                          >
                          > Dale
                          >
                          > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com>, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@...<mailto:blueboybythesea@...>>
                          >wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his)
                          >>who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane
                          >>card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from
                          >>the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of
                          >>the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I
                          >>cannot find the post one any of sites.
                          >>
                          >> Thanks in advance any help.
                          >>
                          >> Jim

                        • llbowler
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 22, 2012
                            Dale, I wished I had thought of that point when I recommended WOG. A chair-bound person would probably have a hard time with the miniature game, but keep in mind that WOG was (and still is) card game first, the minis came later (and have certainly taken center stage in the game today). I think WOG played with cards would be within the range of this person, it would be no more difficult to manipulate that any other aircraft games. The exception is the Handy Rotary series of booklets, which are fantastic games and would be ideal for a chair-bound person. Lloyd

                            --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Hurtt" <dale_hurtt@...> wrote:

                            > Given the nature of the injury you describe, I would stay away from Wings of War/Wings of Glory. The miniature movement is fiddly, the miniatures skid easily, and measurement and angles all require you to bend over the table. Definitely not for the chair-bound.
                            >
                            > Dale
                            >
                            > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks in advance any help.
                            > >
                            > > Jim

                          • Colin MacMillan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 22, 2012
                              "The exception is the Handy Rotary series of booklets, which are fantastic games and would be ideal for a chair-bound person. Lloyd"

                              Would a search on E-bay be a source for the Ace of Aces Handy Rotary Series maybe?
                              I do know that they were up for a Kickstarter Project to get these reprinted and back into the market some months back.

                              Dale, I wished I had thought of that point when I recommended WOG. A chair-bound person would probably have a hard time with the miniature game, but keep in mind that WOG was (and still is) card game first, the minis came later (and have certainly taken center stage in the game today). I think WOG played with cards would be within the range of this person, it would be no more difficult to manipulate that any other aircraft games. The exception is the Handy Rotary series of booklets, which are fantastic games and would be ideal for a chair-bound person. Lloyd

                              --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Hurtt" <dale_hurtt@...> wrote:

                              > Given the nature of the injury you describe, I would stay away from Wings of War/Wings of Glory. The miniature movement is fiddly, the miniatures skid easily, and measurement and angles all require you to bend over the table. Definitely not for the chair-bound.
                              >
                              > Dale
                              >
                              > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "blueboybythesea" <blueboybythesea@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I have a handicapped friend (Christopher Reeve had a similar injury to his) who wants to start playing games again and he liked playing the WWI airplane card I think the name was Dog Fight and you played with maneuver cards from the pilots point of view. I know most people are on many groups and one of the other groups had a Solo version of the game and for the life of me, I cannot find the post one any of sites.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks in advance any help.
                              > >
                              > > Jim

                            • K.C. L'Roy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 24, 2012
                                The Ace of Aces book-game will be available again in 2013 from Flying
                                Buffalo, due to their successful Kickstarter campaign.

                                Flying Buffalo:
                                http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm
                                <http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm>

                                Their Kickstarter page:
                                http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994700393/ace-of-aces-rotary-series-\
                                limited-edition-reprint-0
                                <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994700393/ace-of-aces-rotary-series\
                                -limited-edition-reprint-0>

                                I am not associated with Flying Buffalo, I just always really enjoyed
                                Ace of Aces (I have a couple iterations of it from long ago).

                                K.C.

                                --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Colin MacMillan wrote:

                                > "The exception is the Handy Rotary series of booklets, which are
                                fantastic games and would be ideal for a chair-bound person. Lloyd"
                                > Would a search on E-bay be a source for the Ace of Aces Handy Rotary
                                Series maybe?
                                > I do know that they were up for a Kickstarter Project to get these
                                reprinted and back into the market some months back.

                              • Mircea Pauca
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 24, 2012
                                  http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books
                                  look for "Emerald Enchanter" and "Scarlet Sorcerer"

                                  I think these were earlier than AoA. Magic skyship dogfight games
                                  based on sketched views and decisions from paragraph to paragraph.
                                  In "Project Aon" (started for the Lone Wolf series of game-books).
                                  A whole lot of other interesting solo games there.

                                  Have fun ! merry Christmas everyone !
                                  Mircea Pauca, Bucuresti, Romania

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 24, 2012
                                    "successful Kickstarter campaign..."
                                    That is very good news, Even though I still have my old books, as the Kiwi dollar hadn't strengthened to the US$ I couldn't contribute (think add 30% to the cost).