Solo wargamers - Solo U-Boat game. Anybody tried it?

  • Colin MacMillan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
      U-Boats anyone?

      http://www.wargamevault.com/product/106976/Operation-Drumbeat

      Colin
      (NZ - a.k.a. New Hobbiton)

    • sharanac@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
        Bought it, tied it.
        I will eventualy write a review on my blog, when I find time :)
        In short, this is PDF that has 2 parts:
        1. historical overview of Operation Drumbeat, realy detailed and good and makes PDF worth the money invested
        2. game itself, too simplified, with some uncertanity within rules and low repleyability. It keeps the mood of U boat captain with you, but this is not enough to return to it more then 2-3 times.

        Regards
        Alex

        Naprzód psiekrwie, Cesarz patrzy!
        En avant, Vive l'Empereur!

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
          I also bought it and played it. It's a nice game, the price is right, you will definitely get your money out of it. I had one run through, and will do another. Then, outside of the game, you have the solo mechanics that you can break into, tweak, customize, and steal for you other games.

          Jim

          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, sharanac@... wrote:

          > Bought it, tied it.
          > I will eventualy write a review on my blog, when I find time :)
          > In short, this is PDF that has 2 parts:
          > 1. historical overview of Operation Drumbeat, realy detailed and good and makes PDF worth the money invested
          > 2. game itself, too simplified, with some uncertanity within rules and low repleyability. It keeps the mood of U boat captain with you, but this is not enough to return to it more then 2-3 times.
          >
          > Regards
          > Alex
          >

          > Naprzód psiekrwie, Cesarz patrzy!
          > En avant, Vive l'Empereur!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • James Squib
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
            Oooo!  That looks fun!  Thanks, Colin.
            BTW... do you now have a circular green door on your house? (New Hobbiton) Hee-hee-hee!
            (I'm only jealous, as the scenery for these wonderful films is so stunning I only wish I had a few quid for a hol down your way... oh... and a passport would help, too!
            Squibzy

            >________________________________

          • James Squib
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
              That's interesting, Alex.
              So is it worth it?
              Squibzy

              >________________________________

            • James Squib
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
                Ah!  That's answered my "Q" to Alex, then!  Now I know it's worth buying.
                Cheers, Jim

                Squibzy

              • Colin MacMillan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
                  Thanks, for the low cost of 5US dollars I was tempted (even with our exchange rate).
                  I'll keep looking for other suitable games we jolly band of brothers (and sisters!).

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2012
                    James, you'd fit right in over here - can you blow smoke rings and drink ale? Pre-requisite for Hobbiton I'm afraid (I've mastered the dirnking bit ...I have the Hobbit figure to prove it).