Re: Solo rules for naval wargaming??

  • laura
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 20, 2012
      Dale,how many do you need to play?I have a starter and a booster.

      > > sfsct3172 wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone have a good simple source for naval wargaming (WW1-WW2)? Simple
      > > ship to ship action rules with regard to movement and targeting would be great.
      > > Any recommendations?
      >
      > Axis and Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea turned out to be surprisingly subtle and interesting. Just don't get caught up in the collectible aspect of it. Plenty of single miniatures sellers out there. Also databases of the card stats and you can use your own lead miniatures.
      >
      > Dale

    • Dale Hurtt
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 21, 2012
        It depends on several factors, like how historical you want to be and how large an action you want to fight. As this is a collectible miniatures game, as you know you will get a random mix in the boosters, so that is why the rules basically only stipulate that the sides are Axis versus Allies - you can play a basic game with what you have. But, if you do not like the idea of your fleet having Italian planes flying from Japanese aircraft carriers, escorted by German destroyers, facing off against a fleet composed of British, Polish, US, and Free French elements then you are going to have to do some planning.

        A fellow gamer went on the forums and found that the Italians and British, fighting in the Med, are pretty evenly matched in the game, so I decided to collect a British fleet and he an Italian fleet. (Actually, he is hooked so he is collecting much more than that.) We are both starting with a 100 point "One Nation Only" fleet and are building from there. We are using eBay and stores that sell miniatures singly as our source, rather than buying random boosters.

        As time goes on, and if interest does not wane, we will probably add a second 100 point force to play 200 point games.

        Mind you, we only see one another about three times a year (maybe less now that he has left the company I work for) as he lives in Ohio and I in Arizona, so most of our gaming will be via Vassal (they have a basic module). So, for the short term, our fleet building will actually be free.

        Dale

        > Laura wrote:
        >
        > Dale,how many do you need to play?I have a starter and a booster.
        >
        > > Axis and Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea turned out to be surprisingly subtle
        > > and interesting. Just don't get caught up in the collectible aspect of it. Plenty of
        > > single miniatures sellers out there. Also databases of the card stats and you can
        > > use your own lead miniatures.
        > >
        > > Dale
      • laura
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2012
          dale,where are the data bases?

          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "laura" <ljean8080@...> wrote:

          > Dale,how many do you need to play?I have a starter and a booster.
          > >
          > > > sfsct3172 wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone have a good simple source for naval wargaming (WW1-WW2)? Simple
          > > > ship to ship action rules with regard to movement and targeting would be great.
          > > > Any recommendations?
          > >
          > > Axis and Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea turned out to be surprisingly subtle and interesting. Just don't get caught up in the collectible aspect of it. Plenty of single miniatures sellers out there. Also databases of the card stats and you can use your own lead miniatures.
          > >
          > > Dale

        • Dale Hurtt
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 24, 2012
            > Laura wrote:
            >
            > dale,where are the data bases?

            http://was.tamgc.net/
            http://forumini.wikidot.com/axis-allies-war-at-sea

            A friend and I are working on updating the War at Sea module for Vassal. I've added a few British ships that I needed to flesh out my fleet and my friend wants to add all of the missing ships, starting with the Italians. I think he will be a while! This will allow us to play over the internet and for me to refine the fleet before I commit to singles purchases.

            Dale