Re: [SoloWarGame] looking for ideas on useing the twh rules solo.

  • James Squib
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 7, 2011
      Ha ha!  Love it, James!
      >>Surely being in blighty, you must have a shed which you second yourself to.>>
      Funnily enough, we do have 'a shed'... well, my daughter calls it our 'shed with windows', because it is actually a beautiful cedar summerhouse (if she weren't such a lovely woman, I'd have slapped her wrist, calling it a 'shed'! huh!)

      Time in retirement?  Again, strangely enough, my neighbour, retired some 4 years from being a foreman on British Railways, (well, Network Rail - but no-one outside of Britain would know what the heck that is!), is struggling to find purpose and meaning to his life now he hasn't got to work for nearly 60 or more hours a week on the railway tracks. He cannot understand how I'm *so busy*!  But my wife and I belong to 2 walking groups, and a church group which meet during the week, then there's looking after my 93year old mum - still in her own flat (apartment), but too frail to get out now, friends, family, one or two elderly neighbours......

      Wargaming?  Ha!  Anyway, t'other-arf was never too keen on the dining table being taken over with miniature buildings and men even when we were first married umpteen years ago...and if I did so on a Saturday afternoon, saying, "I'll finish the game off tomorrow afternoon when we get back from church", wow! that was like a nuke-marker had just been placed on the table top!  "Oh no you won't!" she'd explode!  bless her... ;-))

      But hopefully, now I've cleared some space in my hobby room sufficient for a 3foot square table, I may get some gaming in soon...  hope springs eternal, as they say!
      Squibzy

    • jim davis
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 8, 2011
        I could swear that at some time I read or saw something along those lines.  Not just a number ( Nao is a 5 --yean, that s abig help ) but more on the lines of impulsive-cautious-plodding.) I dont play Napoleonic ( or aws we refered to them in Burbank, the Divorce Period ) but several friends did and i have read a little on the period.  Mainly Richard Sharp--good unbalanced source that .
        Ill have to ask my daughters god father, he was / is a big napoleon fan.  Come to think of it it might have been in George Jefferies book on Nap Gaming.  Have to see what I did with that I know it was here not 20 years ago.
        My inpression from lectures by Jeffries was that moving from column of march to line and getting your battle line ready was a time consuming process.  And keeping your line dressed no easy project.  AS i never did close order drill in more than a formation of about 150-200 I can only say company manuvers were not too bad.
        Off hand I would say you want to rate them on decicive -indecisive,  cautious-reckless ( or maybe some less loaded word.  Inspirational-distrusted, plodding-brilliant.  stands stress well- tires and gets befuddled.  Having worked multiday "days" I know you do not make good decisions after a few days with no sleep.  And battle is tiring, even for the general sitting on his horse or camp stool.
        I guess once you have alist of attributes putting some numbers to them would work,   Give you a yard stick as to how many orders the general can give, how quickly he puts orders into action, how wuickly he manes decisions.   I guess you can also have them make the obviouly wrong decision also.  Like do you reenforce the batt that is losing or the one breaking thru?
        Jim D
        Jim