Re: [SoloWarGame] looking for ideas on useing the twh rules solo.

  • Michael Collins
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 6, 2011
      I wonder if i could ask soloists here if they would consider helping me adapt my
      rules for solo play...?

      I have already integrated some solo gaming ideas in to my rules with the notion
      of subordinate generals initiatives - this works along the very simple lines
      that orders are followed unless the player on behalf of the subordinate attempts
      to take an initiative.

      Similar to easyjimy`s approach it is just based on what the player thinks is the
      best course of action - although this is not always possible and players need to
      test with a die roll to see if their commanders actually do take the initiative.

      Are there any general ideas or published books that i should look at to consider
      how an automated opponent may behave, and have tactical plans?

      thanks for any help you can lend me on this one!

      reagrds,

      mike.

      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 8, 2011
        I could swear that at some time I read or saw something along those lines.  Not just a number ( Nao is a 5 --yean, that s abig help ) but more on the lines of impulsive-cautious-plodding.) I dont play Napoleonic ( or aws we refered to them in Burbank, the Divorce Period ) but several friends did and i have read a little on the period.  Mainly Richard Sharp--good unbalanced source that .
        Ill have to ask my daughters god father, he was / is a big napoleon fan.  Come to think of it it might have been in George Jefferies book on Nap Gaming.  Have to see what I did with that I know it was here not 20 years ago.
        My inpression from lectures by Jeffries was that moving from column of march to line and getting your battle line ready was a time consuming process.  And keeping your line dressed no easy project.  AS i never did close order drill in more than a formation of about 150-200 I can only say company manuvers were not too bad.
        Off hand I would say you want to rate them on decicive -indecisive,  cautious-reckless ( or maybe some less loaded word.  Inspirational-distrusted, plodding-brilliant.  stands stress well- tires and gets befuddled.  Having worked multiday "days" I know you do not make good decisions after a few days with no sleep.  And battle is tiring, even for the general sitting on his horse or camp stool.
        I guess once you have alist of attributes putting some numbers to them would work,   Give you a yard stick as to how many orders the general can give, how quickly he puts orders into action, how wuickly he manes decisions.   I guess you can also have them make the obviouly wrong decision also.  Like do you reenforce the batt that is losing or the one breaking thru?
        Jim D
        Jim