Re: FoG Bound

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 20, 2010
      I think it's that 'not knowing' bit that really bugs me. That and the randomness. Which is odd, because I like randomness in real life...just not too much of it in my wargames!!!

      Chz,
      Jay.
      http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/

      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, jim davis <jhdavis19@...> wrote:

      > I find that while I am willing to learn some new miniature rules ( and simply give up on others ) I seldom want to spend the time to become proficient with a PC game.  Age of Sail and Close Combat , bridge too far being the exceptions.  and I keep sayin gI will go back and try medieval total combat again.
      > The miniatures are just more interesting than icons, or bundles of kinda looks like miniatures on the screen.  I seldom go to films or watch TV, so that may be part of it.
      > And I resne tot knowing how the results acame about.
      > Jim

    • jim davis
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 20, 2010
        Have you tried DBA Online?  I have used it playing both sides.   I find I  can play out a game with minitures faster than I can the online version.  But I have vision problems so It is sometimes hard to tell exactly what any given icon is.  A couple of friends turned me onto it.  They love it, and one says he plays a game online almost every day ofter dinner.   Evidently a large fan base.  I have not tried any games online as if I frustrate myself trying to play it, why inflict that on an innocent bystander.
        Jim

        I think it's that 'not knowing' bit that really bugs me. That and the randomness. Which is odd, because I like randomness in real life...just not too much of it in my wargames!!!

        Chz,
        Jay.
        http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/

        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, jim davis <jhdavis19@...> wrote:

        > I find that while I am willing to learn some new miniature rules ( and simply give up on others ) I seldom want to spend the time to become proficient with a PC game. Age of Sail and Close Combat , bridge too far being the exceptions. and I keep sayin gI will go back and try medieval total combat again.
        > The miniatures are just more interesting than icons, or bundles of kinda looks like miniatures on the screen. I seldom go to films or watch TV, so that may be part of it.
        > And I resne tot knowing how the results acame about.
        > Jim

        Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
          Hi Jim,

          Yes I used to play DBA Online myself, and still play 'hotseat' games solo from time to time. I was going to re-register a few months ago but then heard some very negative stuff about the direction the game had gone in and decided to hold fire.

          Cheers,
          Jay
          http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/

          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, jim davis <jhdavis19@...> wrote:

          > Have you tried DBA Online?  I have used it playing both sides.   I find I  can play out a game with minitures faster than I can the online version.  But I have vision problems so It is sometimes hard to tell exactly what any given icon is.  A couple of friends turned me onto it.  They love it, and one says he plays a game online almost every day ofter dinner.   Evidently a large fan base.  I have not tried any games online as if I frustrate myself trying to play it, why inflict that on an innocent bystander.
          > Jim

        • John Acar
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I haven't added anything substantial to my solo blog for a while. But I've
            > been prompted by some recent experiences to put together a short article
            > on how computer games relate to table-top solo wargaming - with reference
            > in particular to Slitherine's implementation of FoG (Field Of Glory) for
            > the PC. If you're interested you can find it here -
            >
            > http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/fog-bound/
            >
            > All the best,
            > Jay.
            > http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/

            Jay,

            Using FoG(PC) is a great idea to drive the solo campaign. I've worked on
            a few scenarios for FoG using the scale of Bill Bank's "Ancients" game. I
            played out Marathon, Heraclea and Zama with very good results. Each side
            would have not more than about 12-15 units and often less. Great fun.

            I tried Rome Total War as another option using the Neil Thomas AMW lists
            for a guide. Each army would get 8 units of various strengths and types
            and you can use the points system to balance them. It worked well but the
            games were a bit to frantic for me. I suppose slowing down the game speed
            would help.

            I'm curious how you "scale' your battles in your solo campaign?

            John

            Some barbarian is waving my shield, since I was obliged to leave that
            perfectly good piece of equipment behind under a bush. But I got away, so
            what does it matter? Life seemed somehow more precious. Let the shield
            go; I can buy another one equally good.

            --Archilochus
          • Jay
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
              Hi John,

              Thanks for sharing that, very interesting to hear how others are integrating PC games into their solo campaigns! As for me, I've mainly used FoG so far as part of a mini-campaign where two 'competing' condottieri generals with a set number of points face off against a series of contemporary opponents selected at random (using the Storm Of Arrows list). Initially each general had an army with a value of 700 points, reduced after each battle of course depending on casualties and on a random factor for recouping the losses. I may write it up and post it on the blog at some stage.

              I'd thought of using Total War as well, but I have the same problem as you with 'real time' games. Slowing the game down does seem to help though, and I'll probably try another mini-campaign with the Barbarian Invasion armies when I have the time.

              Regards,

              --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "John Acar" <jacar@...> wrote:

              > Using FoG(PC) is a great idea to drive the solo campaign. I've worked on
              > a few scenarios for FoG using the scale of Bill Bank's "Ancients" game. I
              > played out Marathon, Heraclea and Zama with very good results. Each side
              > would have not more than about 12-15 units and often less. Great fun.
              >
              > I tried Rome Total War as another option using the Neil Thomas AMW lists
              > for a guide. Each army would get 8 units of various strengths and types
              > and you can use the points system to balance them. It worked well but the
              > games were a bit to frantic for me. I suppose slowing down the game speed
              > would help.
              >
              > I'm curious how you "scale' your battles in your solo campaign?
              >
              > John
              >
              > Some barbarian is waving my shield, since I was obliged to leave that
              > perfectly good piece of equipment behind under a bush. But I got away, so
              > what does it matter? Life seemed somehow more precious. Let the shield
              > go; I can buy another one equally good.
              >
              > --Archilochus

            • Dale Hurtt
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
                > Have you tried DBA Online?

                DBA Online is exactly one of those programs that creates the sort of frustration alluded to in the blog, at least for me. It is an old version of the DBA rules and thus needs to be updated. Because it is not open in any way, there is no means to update it at all.

                I stopped playing it because it taught you things about the DBA rules that do not apply in the current version (primarily what constitutes a group).

                Dale
              • Jj Wallace
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 21, 2010
                  i like all of the battlefield series EA games
                  video games after awhile ...??? whats the point?

                • sfsct3172
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 24, 2010
                    Could you explain how you are playing FOG solo? I was trying to follow the thread and am not that experienced with solo games as of yet, but because of my current location, I need to look into it. If you could explain in a little more detail the process you are using to play. Or if it posted somewhere or is there a file, etc. you could direct me to, I would appreciate it. Thank you very much for any input.

                    --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Jay" <solowargamer@...> wrote:

                    > Hi John,
                    >
                    > Thanks for sharing that, very interesting to hear how others are integrating PC games into their solo campaigns! As for me, I've mainly used FoG so far as part of a mini-campaign where two 'competing' condottieri generals with a set number of points face off against a series of contemporary opponents selected at random (using the Storm Of Arrows list). Initially each general had an army with a value of 700 points, reduced after each battle of course depending on casualties and on a random factor for recouping the losses. I may write it up and post it on the blog at some stage.
                    >
                    > I'd thought of using Total War as well, but I have the same problem as you with 'real time' games. Slowing the game down does seem to help though, and I'll probably try another mini-campaign with the Barbarian Invasion armies when I have the time.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Jay
                    > http://solowargamer.wordpress.com/
                    >
                    > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "John Acar" <jacar@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Using FoG(PC) is a great idea to drive the solo campaign. I've worked on
                    > > a few scenarios for FoG using the scale of Bill Bank's "Ancients" game. I
                    > > played out Marathon, Heraclea and Zama with very good results. Each side
                    > > would have not more than about 12-15 units and often less. Great fun.
                    > >
                    > > I tried Rome Total War as another option using the Neil Thomas AMW lists
                    > > for a guide. Each army would get 8 units of various strengths and types
                    > > and you can use the points system to balance them. It worked well but the
                    > > games were a bit to frantic for me. I suppose slowing down the game speed
                    > > would help.
                    > >
                    > > I'm curious how you "scale' your battles in your solo campaign?
                    > >
                    > > John
                    > >
                    > > Some barbarian is waving my shield, since I was obliged to leave that
                    > > perfectly good piece of equipment behind under a bush. But I got away, so
                    > > what does it matter? Life seemed somehow more precious. Let the shield
                    > > go; I can buy another one equally good.
                    > >
                    > > --Archilochus

                  • John Acar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 24, 2010
                      Jay is talking about Field of Glory Computer Game for solo play. I think
                      Field of Glory would be a rough one to solo because of the depth of the
                      rules. You have to, essentially, do everything twice (once for each
                      side)!

                      The computer game handles one side while you handle the other.

                      John

                    • Craig Ambler
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 25, 2010
                        It's a Hugo Igo game so fairly easy I would say. I must admit though
                        whilst I am playing it for only the second time to see how it plays I am
                        not too keen, it's a 6 hit type of game. Looking for something to
                        replace Shock of Impact but it certainly isn't this.

                        Cheers

                        Craig

                        ________________________________

                        <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Acar" <jacar@> wrote:

                        > > Using FoG(PC) is a great idea to drive the solo campaign. I've
                        worked on
                        > > a few scenarios for FoG using the scale of Bill Bank's "Ancients"
                        game. I
                        > > played out Marathon, Heraclea and Zama with very good results. Each
                        side
                        > > would have not more than about 12-15 units and often less. Great
                        fun.

                        > > I tried Rome Total War as another option using the Neil Thomas AMW
                        lists
                        > > for a guide. Each army would get 8 units of various strengths and
                        types
                        > > and you can use the points system to balance them. It worked well
                        but the
                        > > games were a bit to frantic for me. I suppose slowing down the game
                        speed
                        > > would help.
                        > >
                        > > I'm curious how you "scale' your battles in your solo campaign?
                        > >
                        > > John
                        > >
                        > > Some barbarian is waving my shield, since I was obliged to leave
                        that
                        > > perfectly good piece of equipment behind under a bush. But I got
                        away, so
                        > > what does it matter? Life seemed somehow more precious. Let the
                        shield
                        > > go; I can buy another one equally good.
                        > >
                        > > --Archilochus

                      • Craig Ambler
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 25, 2010
                          Yikes, I missed that. Is the computer game any good then?

                          Sorry about the confusion and that what happens when you read a post
                          after a time gap.

                          Craig

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 25, 2010
                            I never got to the play stage, its one of the sets of rules I decided took to long to read much less understand.
                            Ambler gamers yahoo site has a basic rule set called fury, withspin offs of special rules for different periods.  They are free and were written by that club, or at least some members.  My buddy and I have played several good games with them, and I hav eplayed them solo several times.  Units tend to be 24-48 infantry figures.
                            If you like very period specific  rules "The Perfect captain"  has a set for Greek Hoplite battles and one for the Crusades.  But there is nothing that says you cant just fight with western armies.  Units are 12-36 figures, but an army may have as few as 2-3 units.
                            The Captain also has a series of ,maps of 4x6 tables and a set of procedures to use them to set up battles or campaigns.  His rules are free for a donation to one of several charities.
                            Jim
                            Jim.

> [...]

                            fun.

                            > > I tried Rome Total War as another option using the Neil Thomas AMW
                            lists
                            > > for a guide. Each army would get 8 units of various strengths and
                            types
                            > > and you can use the points system to balance them. It worked well
                            but the
                            > > games were a bit to frantic for me. I suppose slowing down the game
                            speed
                            > > would help.
                            > >
                            > > I'm curious how you "scale' your battles in your solo campaign?
                            > >
                            > > John
                            > >
                            > > Some barbarian is waving my shield, since I was obliged to leave
                            that
                            > > perfectly good piece of equipment behind under a bush. But I got
                            away, so
                            > > what does it matter? Life seemed somehow more precious. Let the

                            Shortcut URL to this page:

                          • Dale Hurtt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 26, 2010
                              > If you like very period specific  rules "The Perfect captain"  has a set for Greek Hoplite
                              > battles

                              There is a set of rules in Slingshot magazine #251 that are very much like The Perfect Captain's "Hoplomachia" (the Greek Hoplite rules referred to above) only simpler in execution. The article is called "Tearless Battles: How on Earth did we end up making Hoplite warfare boring?" and in the six pages there are less than four pages of rules.

                              Back issues of Slingshot can be obtained on their website. Unfortunately this article has not made it onto the Slingshot DVD yet.

                              I've almost finished basing the last of my hoplites, so I plan at least one game using these rules.

                              Dale
                            • jim davis
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 26, 2010
                                From personal experiance, after 40 years, you never finish basing your hopilites.