I'm new here

  • Andre
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2010
      I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi to every one, and I wanted to ask, whats a good time period to solo wargame on? like WW2 or Ancients and so on. what do you guys thinks?
    • dave brauer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2010
        what strikes your fancy... you named 2 good ones

        I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi to every one, and I wanted to ask, whats a good time period to solo wargame on? like WW2 or Ancients and so on. what do you guys thinks?

      • Bob George
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2010
          On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Andre <andrebrooks4@...> wrote:

          > I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi to every one, and I wanted to ask,
          > whats a good time period to solo wargame on? like WW2 or Ancients and so on.
          > what do you guys thinks?

          I don't think there's a period that's more game-worthy. The only real trick
          is finding solo mechanisms that work well for the level and style of play
          you want. I'm fond of WWII squad-level games myself, but I've fiddled with
          company-level games, as well as dark ages, old west and good ol' zombies.

          Do you know what size of game you want to play? Squad level, company or
          higher?

          - Bob

        • jim davis
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2010
            land battles-a period you are interesrted in.  ww2 and ancients are both good periods.  ww2 can vary from scirmism to large battles.  ialso like the 7Year War and war of the spanish Succession, for the linier tactics and formations,  Naval wise, the age of fighting sail is good.  single ship or small fleets, easy to keep track of, only a few miniatures to buy and paint.  while i collected 1/1200  which require rigging to keep the masts straight, some friends tell me the 1/2400 do not need the extra work.
            jim d
            I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi to every one, and I wanted to ask, whats a good time period to solo wargame on? like WW2 or Ancients and so on. what do you guys thinks?

            Shortcut URL to this page:

          • William Silvester
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2010
              I still have some War Games figures for sale if any one is interested.

              WAR GAMES FIGURES FOR SALE

              NOTE: Check the website indicated and pick the figures you want for AIRFIX and ATLANTIC figures, the ESCI sets are complete and will not be broken. There are a few figures in various stages of being painted. Figures are 10c each, mounted figures and cannons are 25c each. Not all sets are complete so check to see what is available. Postage in extra.

              ATLANTIC

              http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=4

              The Romans - Gladiators and Christians - 15

              The Greeks - Greek Life in the Acropolis - 32 + 20 accessories

              AIRFIX

              http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=3

              Ancient Britons - 65 + 6 chariots

              Robin Hood - 9

              Sheriff of Nottingham - 13 mounted

              American War of Independence - Washington's Army - 79 + 2 mounted

              American War of Independence - British Grenadiers - 48

              Waterloo British Infantry - 136 + 3 mounted

              Waterloo Highland Infantry - 94 + 3 mounted

              Waterloo French Infantry - 148 + 3 mounted

              Waterloo French Imperial Guard - 219

              Waterloo British Cavalry (Hussars) - 44 mounted

              Waterloo French Cavalry - 28 mounted

              Waterloo British Artillery - 31 + 18 horses, 4 cannon, 5 mounted

              Waterloo French Artillery - 26 + 1 cannon

              Waterloo Prussian Infantry - 143

              Indians - 39 + 14 mounted + 3 horses

              Wagon Train - 18 + I mounted and accessories (no wagon)

              High Chaparrel - 10 + 5 mounted

              Cowboys - 7 + 5 mounted

              Arabs (Bedouins) - 62 + 5 horses and 2 camels

              Foreign Legion - 72 + 3 mounted

              Zoo Animals #2 - 33

              Tarzan - 9

              Farm Stock - 24

              ESCI

              http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=6

              Napoleonic Wars - Polish Lancers - 12 mounted

              Napoleonic Wars - British Cavalry ' Scots Greys' - 12 mounted

              Zulu War - British Infantry - 100

              Crimean War - British Cavalry '11th Hussars' - 12 mounted

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2010

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2010
                  Andre, I'd suggest that you think about what you enjoy daydreaming about.
                  If you day dream about being a knight in King Arthur's mythical court,
                  then you'd do well to look at games wet in a similar milieu. ... or
                  cowboys and Indians (I always cheered for the Indians) ... or cops and
                  robbers .... or modern guerrilla conflicts ... or whatever literally
                  suits your fantasy!
                  :)
                  Arthur

                  --
                  IN HOC MODO, MILLIS FRANGITVR!
                • Gary Exelby
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                    WW2 here -- Europa, ASL and some DIY/DYO games/variants -- and some Sci-Fi (like Star Fleet Battles). A bit of Fantasy (Swords and Sorcery variants, FGU's Dragonlords and some of the Task Force pocket games) as well.

                    Gary

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                      Is that "K-n-n-n-n-i-g-g-h-it" as in "Silly English?"

                      Gary

                      P.S.: Nee!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                        I have come across very few games indeed that one can't play solo.

                        I have two modes. One is where I just play and don't care who wins.
                        The second is playing a game against the other side. One is normally
                        boardgames whereas in the case of two it's more often with my figures.

                        I have noticed that some people are very anti solo players and I do
                        wonder why. I have set a monster game up, "Battle of Normandy" and
                        instead of rushing around trying to finish it I can take my time and
                        have fun. Of course it's also brilliant to have a ftf game every so
                        often.

                        The rule is enjoyment

                        Craig

                        ________________________________

                        I'm new here and just wanted to say Hi to every one, and I wanted to
                        ask, whats a good time period to solo wargame on? like WW2 or Ancients
                        and so on. what do you guys thinks?

                      • Dale Hurtt
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                          > Craig Ambler wrote:
                          >
                          > I have noticed that some people are very anti solo players and I do
                          > wonder why.

                          Really!?!

                          Who are they? Where do they live? Let's all get together and ... oh wait, we are soloist, so we don't get together.

                          Seriously, why would someone be anti-solo gaming? It doesn't make sense to me. Do they feel you are denying them gaming time?

                          I have a club that I attend. Due to the nature of the work around here, most people start travelling in the Spring and Summer, so club meetings become few and far between. That is when I turn into a solo gamer (or a painter, depends upon the mood). Because it becomes so hard to coordinate anything beyond you and one other person - and sometimes even that is hard because traveling fathers need to spend their weekends at home doing "Honey Do's" - it just seems natural to game solo.

                          Well, I blog and the other club members think that is weird.

                          Dale

                          http://daleswargames.blogspot.com
                          http://wooden-warriors.blogspot.com
                        • Jj Wallace
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                            solo is good stuff what the heck is wrong with it anyway maybe one is better off staring at the TV (a pro football game watching others have fun) or computer? Toil, toil, toil that is all anyone one does with the time they love most, opinions about the usefulness of peoples toiling is absolutely futile. how useless is embroidery? but if it makes you happy...just do it. A solo wargame player is a creative thoughtful problem solving kind of person, that many people find interesting (just don't tell...you know, about them games).....Jeff

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                              On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Craig Ambler
                              <craig.ambler@...>wrote:

                              > [...] I have noticed that some people are very anti solo players and I do
                              > wonder why.

                              Well, bad marketing on our part mostly. Wargaming's a tiny niche hobby, and
                              we're a tiny sub-niche within it. Unless someone is specifically looking for
                              it, it's easily overlooked. And it sounds odd, to boot. I have to admit,
                              when I first heard about solo wargaming, it made about as much sense to me
                              as solo tennis. I'd only viewed miniatures gaming as a face-to-face
                              activity. After all, I've gone to all the effort of collecting and painting
                              up all my toys. Why would I want to keep them to myself? It sounds lonely to
                              the uninitiated.

                              It was only when looking into ways to get some practice in while traveling
                              that I stumbled into what it really offers. Once I caught on, I was
                              delighted with some of the clever techniques folks have developed. I'm not
                              talking about just playing a two player game alone -- that's never appealed
                              to me -- but rather actual tricks that provide the same effect as having
                              another human player on the opposite side of the table. I was even more
                              delighted when I caught on to using the same sort of techniques for
                              cooperative games.

                              I think Two Hour Wargames has really advanced the cause by producing solid
                              games that play well, using, *and emphasizing*, the same mechanisms for
                              solo, cooperative or competitive gaming. I only wish I'd known about them
                              when my boys were young enough that we could've played some nice coop games
                              on the living room floor. If it comes up in conversation, I describe it as
                              "cooperative and solo wargaming". I doubt that helps much with public
                              perception, but I try. :)

                              - Bob

                            • Craig Ambler
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                                No one specific but there is certainly a feeling that solo players are missing something. I think we have to remember that a lot of players are very win orientated and it's the winning that counts and not the playing. In a soloist this attitude just doesn't hold water and if it did you would go mad very quickly.

                                I was on Consim the other day and an anti soloist guy was on and being quite aggressive to a few people, which of course is easy on the web.

                                At present I am trying to write some cards out to mix in with the activation cards to make armies react differently so keeping busy in a fun way.

                                Craig

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 9, 2010
                                  > Craig Ambler wrote:
                                  >
                                  > No one specific but there is certainly a feeling that solo players
                                  > are missing something.

                                  Meh! Miniatures guys think the boardgamers are missing the pageantry of using painted soldiers. Boardgamers think miniatures gamers are missing the detail of boardgames. Historical gamers think that GW and FOW gamers are missing the element of history. They in turn think the historical gamers are missing the game.

                                  We are all missing something, but usually it is what we choose.

                                  > I think we have to remember that a lot of players are very win
                                  > orientated and it's the winning that counts and not the playing.

                                  That may be why you went solo, but I don't agree with that statement. I am very win-oriented. I also call myself a rules lawyer, but after my thread on TMP, it is clear that a lot of people interpret that term as "cheater"; I do not.

                                  Ultimately I am a gamer. I try to incorporate my concept of "how it should be, historically", but in the end, once the rules are laid out, I play the game (and to win). If the rules are wrong, I fix them (unless they are not my rules) so that the game aligns back to my sense of how it should be. But in the end, I game, and being a very visual person, I tend to use miniatures as much as possible.

                                  I use solo gaming to sharpen the point on my face-to-face gaming - primarily by learning the rules of the game and trying to find out what works and what does not - and also to increase the frequency of my gaming (all of my kids are gone so I have more time than the rest of the gamers in my area).

                                  > In a soloist this attitude just doesn't hold water and if it did
                                  > you would go mad very quickly.

                                  Well, that would explain a lot... :)

                                  > I was on Consim the other day and an anti soloist guy was on and
                                  > being quite aggressive to a few people, which of course is easy on
                                  > the web.

                                  It wasn't kduke, was it? That guy is a constant pain on every forum he goes to.

                                  > At present I am trying to write some cards out to mix in with the
                                  > activation cards to make armies react differently so keeping busy
                                  > in a fun way.

                                  I finally posted, after a long hiatus, on the solo DBA forum, trying to re-ignite where I left off. Looking at simplifying how to calculate how aggressive the non-player general (NPG) should be as the game goes on. The concept is that the closer the NPG is to winning, the more likely his moves will be aggressive. If he is down VP, he will use more cautious moves.

                                  Dale