Re: reply to cobblestone roads

  • mdkiria
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
      In the US, the product is made by 3M and I believe it's called Safety Tread (or something like that). Home Depot stocks it in their Paint department near the masking tape (in our local store). It comes in 2" and 4" widths (about $13 and $25 per roll, respectively). Check out the 3M website to see if it's available on your side of the pond.

      Personally, while it has a sticky back, strips glued down fine grit sandpaper might work just as well.

      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, jim davis <jhdavis19@...> wrote:

      > May be as you said, the safety stuff may  not be  stocked over there. My cats litter is safe . i collect the run off from roof gravel from my rain gutters.   My Private Ryan town square has most of the 2x2 ft tile covered in wood putty and lines drawn in the wet putty for cobble stones.  You can also use wall board mud, but the wood putty is a light brown color and is stronger.  The cobble stones in the streets where I grew up wire brownish.  And  my job was probably just as much work as Lloyds sanded cat litter,   Anyway looks good.
      > My only problem with the platicard is the cost,  I am genetically cheap.
      > Jim

    • alloydog
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
        I guess it's this stuff:
        http://www.shop3m.com/safety-walk.html

        Being Scotch/3M, it will probably be available globally.
      • flightdoc20032000
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2009
          That stuff still sounds like some work! Inexpensive but work. If you want to just cut cobble stone out of the matts they sell at christmas you can see the results at my blog. I just posted an AAR about an attack over cobblestone to get into a monastery.
          platoonforward.blogspot.com

          thanks

          Joe
          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "alloydog" <alloydog@...> wrote:

          > I guess it's this stuff:
          > http://www.shop3m.com/safety-walk.html
          >
          > Being Scotch/3M, it will probably be available globally.

        • James Squib
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
            Aha!  Cheers - I can go back to our DIY superstore with better info, now - thanks (might try the fine-grit sandpaper too)
            Squibzy

            ________________________________
            In the US, the product is made by 3M and I believe it's called Safety Tread (or something like that). Home Depot stocks it in their Paint department near the masking tape (in our local store). It comes in 2" and 4" widths (about $13 and $25 per roll, respectively) . Check out the 3M website to see if it's available on your side of the pond.

            Personally, while it has a sticky back, strips glued down fine grit sandpaper might work just as well.

            --- In SoloWarGame@ yahoogroups. com, jim davis <jhdavis19@. ..> wrote:

            > May be as you said, the safety stuff may  not be  stocked over there. My cats litter is safe . i collect the run off from roof gravel from my rain gutters.   My Private Ryan town square has most of the 2x2 ft tile covered in wood putty and lines drawn in the wet putty for cobble stones.  You can also use wall board mud, but the wood putty is a light brown color and is stronger.  The cobble stones in the streets where I grew up wire brownish.  And  my job was probably just as much work as Lloyds sanded cat litter,   Anyway looks good.
            > My only problem with the platicard is the cost,  I am genetically cheap.
            > Jim

          • James Squib
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
              Nice blog, Joe.  You're right, the cobblestones you use look good, but I haven't seen anything like it on the "Christmas" shelves over here in Blighty!

              I like the simplicity of the scenics in your games, they work well, visually, but simply arranged, and are nicely photographed. Those photos are what I call "real wargames" - that is, a real wargamer's figures and scenery as opposed to the set-piece shots used in most wargames magazines, where the figures and scenery are excellent, but probably beyond most gamers abilities.  That said, magazine articles help us all want to try to achieve better paint-jobs, so they do have a place.  It's just that I like to see photos of "oridinary" gamers' wargames... then my own figures don't look so bad!  BTW - a crackin' action report and nice story-telling.  How do you find assembling and dis-assembling the Kallistra Hexon terrain boards (if they are Kallistra)?  I've been toying with the idea of buying a gaming table's worth of these tiles, but not sure how time consuming putting them all together and taking them all apart would be before you get to lay out
              the game, let alone play it!  Any thoughts appreciated.

              Squibzy

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 2, 2009
                Squibzy,

                Yep my stuff is made to be played with. I agree with the simplicity comment and chose to take it as a compliment. When I started I had huge boards/ company per side with plenty of tanks. Problem was the games took forever and if I lost a squad of soldiers or a leader it wasn't devestating because I had plenty more. I found as I shrank my battles they played quicker and become much more intense and enjoyable! Having Lt Talbot involved in hand to hand is very stressful to me now.
                Can't say enough about the HEXON II system. It is very expensive and worth twice the price. I too was worried but I have never even used the clips to put it together. I just place the tiles down. They are heavy enough to stay put. For Christmas I plan to buy 12 plain boards and spray paint them white for a snow board.

                Thanks

                Joe

                --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, James Squib <captain_squib@...> wrote:

                > Nice blog, Joe.  You're right, the cobblestones you use look good, but I haven't seen anything like it on the "Christmas" shelves over here in Blighty!
                >
                > I like the simplicity of the scenics in your games, they work well, visually, but simply arranged, and are nicely photographed. Those photos are what I call "real wargames" - that is, a real wargamer's figures and scenery as opposed to the set-piece shots used in most wargames magazines, where the figures and scenery are excellent, but probably beyond most gamers abilities.  That said, magazine articles help us all want to try to achieve better paint-jobs, so they do have a place.  It's just that I like to see photos of "oridinary" gamers' wargames... then my own figures don't look so bad!  BTW - a crackin' action report and nice story-telling.  How do you find assembling and dis-assembling the Kallistra Hexon terrain boards (if they are Kallistra)?  I've been toying with the idea of buying a gaming table's worth of these tiles, but not sure how time consuming putting them all together and taking them all apart would be before you get to lay out
                > the game, let alone play it!  Any thoughts appreciated.
                >
                > Squibzy
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Mervyn
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                  --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "flightdoc20032000"
                  > Can't say enough about the HEXON II system. It is very expensive and worth twice the price. I too was worried but I have never even used the clips to put it together. I just place the tiles down. They are heavy enough to stay put. For Christmas I plan to buy 12 plain boards and spray paint them white for a snow board.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Joe

                  Hi Joe - my only experience with Kallistra are the trenchs. They do look nice, although the "plain brown" turned out to be a shade of green which was a bit annoying, but my main gripe was that all the edges had a little rim of plastic - so they don't actually fit together neatly as they should. So you can either live with a little gap where they don't abutt - not ideal given the price, or trim them all to get a better fit. That's quite hard work with a lot of edging between each piece...
                  Mervyn
                • James Squib
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Mervyn wrote: "my main gripe was that all the edges had a little rim of plastic - so they don't actually fit together neatly as they should. So you can either live with a little gap where they don't abutt - not ideal given the price, or trim them all to get a better fit. That's quite hard work with a lot of edging between each piece..."

                    Now that's a very interesting point, Mervyn - thanks for mentioning it, cos you're right, that'd be a LOT of work to file down the sides on a whole boxfull !  I wonder how Joe Legan (FlightDoc) got around that? Can you comment, Joe?  (BTW, Joe, I meant my comment about "simplicity" as a compliment! That was my point - your photos of the games really work. Simple but effective scenics [not so complicated as to look more like a diorama than a wargame], and a very engaging narrative - excellent!).

                    ________________________________
                    > Can't say enough about the HEXON II system. It is very expensive and worth twice the price. I too was worried but I have never even used the clips to put it together. I just place the tiles down. They are heavy enough to stay put. For Christmas I plan to buy 12 plain boards and spray paint them white for a snow board.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Joe

                    Hi Joe - my only experience with Kallistra are the trenchs. They do look nice, although the "plain brown" turned out to be a shade of green which was a bit annoying, but my main gripe was that all the edges had a little rim of plastic - so they don't actually fit together neatly as they should. So you can either live with a little gap where they don't abutt - not ideal given the price, or trim them all to get a better fit. That's quite hard work with a lot of edging between each piece...
                    Mervyn

                  • Jim F
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                      In the pictures on Joe's blog, the pronounced edges are visible, so it
                      looks like Joe's just lives with them. The company states that they are
                      designed for hex based gaming, so wouldn't the hexes need to be distinct
                      for rules of that type? Just curious.

                      Jim F

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                        Jim wrote "The company states that they are designed for hex based gaming, so wouldn't the hexes need to be distinct for rules of that type? Just curious."

                        I wouldn't kow the answer to that one, Jim.  I'm only interested in it as an easily stored, relatively simple way of covering a tabletop with differing kinds of scenic "ground" without having to resort to cloths and "patches" of cloth to simulate grassy / earthy / sandy / ground and perhaps a water's edge with blue ones...
                        Squibzy

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                          I agree. I'd love to buy some, but that will have to wait till a dealer
                          over here carries it, if that ever happens.

                          Jim

                          James Squib wrote:
                          > I wouldn't kow the answer to that one, Jim. I'm only interested in it as an easily stored, relatively simple way of covering a tabletop with differing kinds of scenic "ground" without having to resort to cloths and "patches" of cloth to simulate grassy / earthy / sandy / ground and perhaps a water's edge with blue ones...
                          > Squibzy

                        • flightdoc20032000
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2009
                            Appreciate all the discussion. Yes you can see the outline of hexes. I honestly don't notice it but then again I have adapted TW&T to hexes because it speeds up play. I think it would work fine for non hex play because it is flocked terrain, modular with easy set up and tear down. Your mileage may vary.
                            I don't have any experience with Kailestra's trenches as I play 15mm. I was disappointed in their roads and rivers but the hills and lakes are nice. I converted a lake into a nice swamp.
                            As too price I bought most of my stuff last year when the dollar was stronger. I play with 15 boards most of the time; usually 3x5 so you don't have to buy a lot to start with. Don't buy their boxes; postage is more than buying them separately. Considering I play at least 3 out of 4 weekends a month ( gotta love solitaire) and use the boards everytime I feel I have already gotten my monies worth. As you can see by the photos they really make the whole set up look nice. It is an extravagance but one I am happy with. My golf clubs are from 1976.

                            Joe

                            --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Jim F <bflynn2@...> wrote:

                            > I agree. I'd love to buy some, but that will have to wait till a dealer
                            > over here carries it, if that ever happens.
                            >
                            > Jim
                            >
                            > James Squib wrote:
                            > > I wouldn't kow the answer to that one, Jim. I'm only interested in it as an easily stored, relatively simple way of covering a tabletop with differing kinds of scenic "ground" without having to resort to cloths and "patches" of cloth to simulate grassy / earthy / sandy / ground and perhaps a water's edge with blue ones...
                            > > Squibzy

                          • Mervyn
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 4, 2009
                              <joseph.legan@...> wrote:

                              > Appreciate all the discussion. Yes you can see the outline of hexes. I honestly don't notice it but then again I have adapted TW&T to hexes because it speeds up play. I think it would work fine for non hex play because it is flocked terrain, modular with easy set up and tear down. Your mileage may vary.
                              > As too price I bought most of my stuff last year when the dollar was stronger. I play with 15 boards most of the time; usually 3x5 so you don't have to buy a lot to start with. Don't buy their boxes; postage is more than buying them separately.

                              Yes in fairness I should say that I am only referring to the "above ground" trenches where the gap between pieces is more noticeable - actually checking the website you can see it on their pictures too - I'm probably being overfussy but then again they are expensive to buy and it just seems a bit cheap!
                              I'm sure for the base layout the lip would make little difference, and I'd agree that the fact they are hex-shaped doesn't mean they aren't perfectly suitable for non-hex games.
                              Thanks for the tip about price though - if I do get tempted for the base then I will bear that in mind so that's a top tip!
                              I do WW2, Napoleonics and Ancients in 15mm, and WW1, skirmish WW2 and Napoleonics in 28mm - hence the trenches.
                              I need to find time to read your blog better, but do you just use Kallistra flat hexes and not their hills etc? And do you prefer their flocked version or do you flock them yourself?
                            • Jim F
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 4, 2009
                                Joe, I'm a bit confused (not unusual!) in that you use 15 boards for a
                                3x5 area but their website says 21 boards = 3x4. What am I missing here?

                                Really appreciate all the info you're giving.

                                Thanks.

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 4, 2009
                                  Jim,

                                  You are confused only because I am not making myself clear. "3x5" reffered to the number of boards used not sq ft. My point was you don't need alot of boards to start. This gives me a 9x10 hex board which is normally large enough for the battles portrayed on my site. For urban combat the field is smaller "3x3" and for open desert type and recon battles I go with 4x5. I ordered 15 boards and 1 hill for Christmas last year and then when my wife let her guard down I ordered 10 mixed boards and another hill. This christmas 14 lt brown boards (cheaper) and 1 hill that I will spray paint white for a winter board.

                                  Mervyn

                                  I love the boards. I don't like the rivers and roads for the reasons you don't like the trenches. They seem stuck on. The hills on the other hand and lake (swamp) cover the whole hex and look more natural. I use a mixture of hills. In the monestary battle there is a hexon hill to the left of the monestary. In the vietnam battle there was a warhammer hill. I prefer the preflocked boards because the consistancy of the flocking is better than what I can do at home. However for pavement and snow I buy the lt brown boards and spray paint.
                                  Enjoy helping out with info! Wish I could have asked these quesitons ahead of time.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 5, 2009
                                    Ahhhh...

                                    Number of boards, not sq. feet. I assumed footage, and we all know what
                                    happens when one 'assumes' :-[ Not it all makes perfect sense. Thanks
                                    for the clarification. Based on your input, and more reading of their
                                    web pages, I'm going to order some in the near future. Since I have lots
                                    of flocking and other scenery material left from my model RR days, I'll
                                    get the plain ones and try scenicing them myself.

                                    Many thanks, again.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 5, 2009
                                      That should be 'Now it all makes perfect sense".

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 5, 2009
                                        Good luck, let me know how it goes. It you flock them well teach me how!

                                        Joe

                                        PS After christmas suspect one of my platoons will face a winter battle!

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 6, 2009
                                          Joe,

                                          I will. The only reason I'm willing to attempt to flock them myself is
                                          my experience with model railroad scenery. But it will be a bit before
                                          my 'allowance ' won't be tied up with other purchases. Soon, though, I hope.

                                          Jim