Just how "fussy" are you?

  • alloydog
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
      C'mon, let's have some real honesty here...
      With solo wargaming in mind, just how fussy are you over your figures, scenery and such?

      I ask this, because when I started getting my gaming stuff together, I bought some Revell 1/72nd Modern British Infantry. They are clearly 90's figures, in full "tropical" uniform - (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=296). But, I wanted to have a go at a contemporary set-up, such as Afghanistan, using the quick start rules, Contracting Trouble, from Ambush Alley. I have started painting the figures in the current two-tone Desert combat dress. Many things are wrong, such as no body armour, the SA80s look like the A1's - no Picatinnay rails (but no sign, either, of the carpet tape used to hold the A1 together!) and so on...

      But what the heck, I doubt anyone else in the foreseeable future will see them, they're 1/72nd scale, so you can't see that much from more than a few feet away anyway.

      My *insurgents* will be counters, or even a few 15th century figures, and the scenery will be hastily knocked up card boxes!

      So, *at the moment*, I'm not too fussy.

      However, I expect to be a bit more picky over the WWII figures I've just started bought. :D

      So, how fussy are you guys?
    • surprisemove
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
        Not fussy.
        If the right figure is available, I'll use it, but if not, close enough will do. Having said that, I'm mostly micro-armour, so detail is great, but not that important.
        My Vietnam 1/72 plastics are fairly close though...ESCI mostly

        90' British Army are however too different to current deployment in Afghanistan. Surely someone makes them?
        Scenery in 1/72 needs to be fairly good, and cardboard boxes are great for scratch-building buildings.

        Greg

        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "alloydog" <alloydog@...> wrote:

        > C'mon, let's have some real honesty here...
        > With solo wargaming in mind, just how fussy are you over your figures, scenery and such?
        >
        > I ask this, because when I started getting my gaming stuff together, I bought some Revell 1/72nd Modern British Infantry. They are clearly 90's figures, in full "tropical" uniform - (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=296). But, I wanted to have a go at a contemporary set-up, such as Afghanistan, using the quick start rules, Contracting Trouble, from Ambush Alley. I have started painting the figures in the current two-tone Desert combat dress. Many things are wrong, such as no body armour, the SA80s look like the A1's - no Picatinnay rails (but no sign, either, of the carpet tape used to hold the A1 together!) and so on...
        >
        > But what the heck, I doubt anyone else in the foreseeable future will see them, they're 1/72nd scale, so you can't see that much from more than a few feet away anyway.
        >
        > My *insurgents* will be counters, or even a few 15th century figures, and the scenery will be hastily knocked up card boxes!
        >
        > So, *at the moment*, I'm not too fussy.
        >
        > However, I expect to be a bit more picky over the WWII figures I've just started bought. :D
        >
        > So, how fussy are you guys?

      • James Squib
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
          Not TOO fussy!  For instance, in my Darkest Africa 'campaign' scenario - (though it's not really a campaign, cos it's not about soldiers and battles, but about a 19th century family and business partners exploring The Dark Continent in search of ethnic [only the word didn't exist then!] novelties in gold/silver, and ornaments and fabrics, to sell in their fashionable shop in England) - I use Foundry's Victorian Gentlemen and Ladies for my characters. So even though they're in sweltering hot jungles or savannah, they're "dressed" in their suit and overcoat, or pretty dress!
          So what?  When they do make an appearance on the games table (and I don't get to do that very often!), I know who they are as I'm looking down at them from "300 feet above ground" as it were, because I recognise the figure by his/her dress.  And no-one but me is present, so it all makes sense... doesn't it? Or am I the only mad story-led gamer on the planet?
          Squibzy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
            Liberation make modern UK. And just about anything else you want in 20mm

            David
            www.wardepot.blogspot.com
            www.6to20painting.blogspot.com
          • flightdoc20032000
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
              Moderately fussy. When I start a period not fussy at all due to limited stuff. However, my goal is to become fussy. I do not want the Mk IV german tank to also be a Tiger on occasions.
              I play 15mm so on the bits of uniform I am not fussy at all.
              The longer I play the more I am convienced that terrain is the most important visual on the table. Great terrain overcomes modest figures everytime.

              Joe

              > ________________________________

            • Andy Pattison
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                I am quite fussy but I consider the research, searching for the right
                figure range, figure acquisition, army composition, painting and
                basing as important and enjoyable to actually playing.

                It looks like I am in a minority here.

                :)

                Andy

                On 05/09/2009, flightdoc20032000 <joseph.legan@...> wrote:
                > Moderately fussy. When I start a period not fussy at all due to limited
                > stuff. However, my goal is to become fussy. I do not want the Mk IV german
                > tank to also be a Tiger on occasions.
                > I play 15mm so on the bits of uniform I am not fussy at all.
                > The longer I play the more I am convienced that terrain is the most
                > important visual on the table. Great terrain overcomes modest figures
                > everytime.
                >
                > Joe
                >

                >> ________________________________

                Sent from my mobile device
              • surprisemove
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                  Joe, you are absolutely right about the terrain
                  Greg

                  --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "flightdoc20032000" <joseph.legan@...> wrote:

                  > Moderately fussy. When I start a period not fussy at all due to limited stuff. However, my goal is to become fussy. I do not want the Mk IV german tank to also be a Tiger on occasions.
                  > I play 15mm so on the bits of uniform I am not fussy at all.
                  > The longer I play the more I am convienced that terrain is the most important visual on the table. Great terrain overcomes modest figures everytime.
                  >
                  > Joe
                  >

                  > > ________________________________

                • surprisemove
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                    I'll second that...its the whole hobby
                    Greg

                    --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Andy Pattison <pattisona@...> wrote:

                    > I am quite fussy but I consider the research, searching for the right
                    > figure range, figure acquisition, army composition, painting and
                    > basing as important and enjoyable to actually playing.
                    >
                    > It looks like I am in a minority here.
                    >
                    > :)
                    >
                    > Andy
                    >
                    > On 05/09/2009, flightdoc20032000 <joseph.legan@...> wrote:
                    > > Moderately fussy. When I start a period not fussy at all due to limited
                    > > stuff. However, my goal is to become fussy. I do not want the Mk IV german
                    > > tank to also be a Tiger on occasions.
                    > > I play 15mm so on the bits of uniform I am not fussy at all.
                    > > The longer I play the more I am convienced that terrain is the most
                    > > important visual on the table. Great terrain overcomes modest figures
                    > > everytime.
                    > >
                    > > Joe
                    > >

                    > >> ________________________________

                  • flightdoc20032000
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                      Thanks Greg. I agree with Andy about the research. No Tiger tanks in France 1940; drives me crazy.

                      Joe

                      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "surprisemove" <mrg3105@...> wrote:

                      > Joe, you are absolutely right about the terrain
                      > Greg
                      >
                      > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "flightdoc20032000" <joseph.legan@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Moderately fussy. When I start a period not fussy at all due to limited stuff. However, my goal is to become fussy. I do not want the Mk IV german tank to also be a Tiger on occasions.
                      > > I play 15mm so on the bits of uniform I am not fussy at all.
                      > > The longer I play the more I am convienced that terrain is the most important visual on the table. Great terrain overcomes modest figures everytime.
                      > >
                      > > Joe
                      > >

                      > > > ________________________________

                    • surprisemove
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                        Joe, Tigers were not much good in 1944 either. Just found out that from a company of them only two (Tiger Is) made the 80 mile drive to Arnhem...and were promptly KOA.

                        Greg

                        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "flightdoc20032000" <joseph.legan@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Greg. I agree with Andy about the research. No Tiger tanks in France 1940; drives me crazy.
                        >
                        > Joe

                      • zurikfrostbeard
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 5, 2009
                          I'm with you. But then, I've mostly done fantasy minis and more recently 18th century ImagiNations. For me the play's the thing, as it were. I'm trying to play out stories. My gaming takes as much or more inspiration from Hollywood and fiction than from actual history.
                          I am using minis that represent actual 18th century troops, but painted in colors I design to fit my imaginary countries. So, for example, I have some British troops painted up in blue with yellow trim for one country and some Russians painted up in white and various colors of trim. I don't care what the actual affiliations of any given troop are. I paint them up to fit my world.
                          Nothing at all against people who are more "fussy". If the historical research and minutiae is something some people enjoy I say more power to them. Just don't try to tell me I'm doing it wrong if I don't play that way. :)
                          One of the great things about being a solo gamer is you don't have to worry about pleasing anyone else.

                          I guess I'm a little fussy in some sense though. I won't use unpainted minis. I won't use minis that are a different scale and I don't even like to use ones that are too different in style/proportions. I also don't include anything I don't have models for. I avoid things that are too "jarring" to my mind, things that make it hard to suspend disbelief and take me out of the "story". I guess that could be said for many players, including the "fussy" ones for whom historically accurate detail is important. More a matter of what kinds of things are jarring.

                          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, James Squib <captain_squib@...> wrote:

                          > Not TOO fussy!  For instance, in my Darkest Africa 'campaign' scenario - (though it's not really a campaign, cos it's not about soldiers and battles, but about a 19th century family and business partners exploring The Dark Continent in search of ethnic [only the word didn't exist then!] novelties in gold/silver, and ornaments and fabrics, to sell in their fashionable shop in England) - I use Foundry's Victorian Gentlemen and Ladies for my characters. So even though they're in sweltering hot jungles or savannah, they're "dressed" in their suit and overcoat, or pretty dress!
                          > So what?  When they do make an appearance on the games table (and I don't get to do that very often!), I know who they are as I'm looking down at them from "300 feet above ground" as it were, because I recognise the figure by his/her dress.  And no-one but me is present, so it all makes sense... doesn't it? Or am I the only mad story-led gamer on the planet?
                          > Squibzy
                        • Bob George
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 6, 2009
                            On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 4:28 AM, alloydog <alloydog@...> wrote:

                            > C'mon, let's have some real honesty here...
                            > With solo wargaming in mind, just how fussy are you over your figures,
                            > scenery and such?

                            I strive to be fussy, but am also practical. For my travel games, I'm not
                            going to be able to pack much along, so counters and flat scenery will have
                            to do. For my home setup, I am working on some nice scenery, and at least
                            reasonably painted miniatures.

                            - Bob

                          • Ambrose Hawk
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 6, 2009
                              Andy wrote:
                              > \I am quite fussy but I consider the research, searching for the right
                              > figure range, figure acquisition, army composition, painting and
                              > basing as important and enjoyable to actually playing.
                              ---
                              Andy, I really do admire folks like you ... and I definitely enjoy the
                              discussions and information your branch of the hobby tends to share.
                              On the other hand, my hands shake, my eyes are blurry, and I really
                              don't have the space for any good sized battles that take larger than 15
                              mm figures ... so I tend to be happy if I can recognize a unit from four
                              feet away.
                              I distinctly consider the kinds of painting jobs don't by folks like you
                              much more valuable than the wretched blobs I produce! LOL
                              So for me, the ultimate point of the whole thing is a game ... which for
                              me has to be solo these days :(

                              Arthur
                            • flightdoc20032000
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 6, 2009
                                Arthur,

                                Different strokes... but I think you can have both. I am all about the story. (Matter of fact I am hawking some solitaire WWII campaign rules right now.) But it is easier for me to immerse myslef in the story with accurate history, terrain and equipment. Just played a solitaire patrol using 2 squads a side, 15mm on aa board 4ft by 4 ft.

                                Thanks

                                Joe

                                --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Ambrose Hawk <ahawk@...> wrote:

                                > Andy wrote:
                                > > \I am quite fussy but I consider the research, searching for the right
                                > > figure range, figure acquisition, army composition, painting and
                                > > basing as important and enjoyable to actually playing.
                                > ---
                                > Andy, I really do admire folks like you ... and I definitely enjoy the
                                > discussions and information your branch of the hobby tends to share.
                                > On the other hand, my hands shake, my eyes are blurry, and I really
                                > don't have the space for any good sized battles that take larger than 15
                                > mm figures ... so I tend to be happy if I can recognize a unit from four
                                > feet away.
                                > I distinctly consider the kinds of painting jobs don't by folks like you
                                > much more valuable than the wretched blobs I produce! LOL
                                > So for me, the ultimate point of the whole thing is a game ... which for
                                > me has to be solo these days :(
                                >
                                > Arthur

                              • brizblogger
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                  Interesting question, even more interesting responses! Fascinating to see where other solo players stand on this one...

                                  I'm in the "moderately fussy" camp I think - I'll test scenarios and ideas out using roughly appropriate figures and scenery, but I like to spend time researching and assembling historically accurate figures for "proper" solo games...!

                                  Chz,
                                  Jay
                                  www.solowargamer.info
                                • James Squib
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                    "zurikfrostbeard" wrote: >>I am using minis that represent actual 18th century troops, but painted in colors I design to fit my imaginary countries. So, for example, I have some British troops painted up in blue with yellow trim for one country and some Russians painted up in white and various colors of trim. I don't care what the actual affiliations of any given troop are. I paint them up to fit my world.>>

                                    Many a "big name" in wargaming circles has done the self-same thing!
                                    See Battlegames Magazine issue 1 (I think) and why not?  You have the best of all worlds then (no pun intended). Lots of quality sculpted troop types in their dramatic uniforms, yet your own colour schemes for the armies! Cracker!

                                    Squibzy

                                  • dunfalach
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                      Well, the quickest way to answer the question of how fussy I am would probably be to put one of my neon orange Hot Wheels half-tracks on the table. :> Eventually, I will get around to slapping some green paint on it to make it not so glaringly obvious, but then I have a long queue of eventuallies.

                                      I have perhaps 300-400 fully painted figures, most done when I was a teenager. Just completed my first reasonably fully painted figure of recent years. Of those no more than 50 at most were painted by me, the rest bought painted. I have 2-3 times that many figures with at least some paint on them somewhere. And probably about 3-4000 unpainted ones. I'm perfectly happy to game with any of the above, though I wouldn't show up with the unpainted/partials to someone else's game unless they knew about it and were fine with it.

                                      I love the research, and the story. I just lack the enjoyment of painting to put much time into it, and lack the money to pay someone else to paint them, so...I'm not going to wait another 50 years for my own painting speed to get enough painted figures to play with. ;) That said, if I had the funds free and clear, I'd ship probably 90 percent of what I own off to be painted in a heartbeat.

                                      I'm generally okay with mixing scales within boundaries, though I do tend to gradually standardize. For my WW2 forces, I use 1/72 figures with 1/87 vehicles, partly in homage to Operation Warboard and other early games from the days when there was no such thing as a 1/72 ready-made or quick-build kit, and partly in homage to my limited budget. :)

                                      I'm perfectly happy to use diecast and plastic toy trucks and half-tracks in my forces, though I've gradually eliminated most of the ones that are not at least generally HO scale. I can't afford the Roco half-tracks, which are usually around $12-20 each when you can find them, so I'm quite content for now to use the dozen or more Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning US half-tracks as both US and German halftracks. I got a really good deal on roughly 15-20 modern trucks (M998 maybe?) which are doing duty as WW2 era trucks alongside the handful of in-era Rock and Hot Wheels trucks I have. Armies constantly need trucks, and these too are too expensive for my budget. My Sherman tanks are a mix of Rocos and the smaller 1:90 scale Matchbox diecasts. And so forth.

                                      For the AWI, I'm standardized on 1/72 plastics, but I admit to using a set of Airfix Napoleonic Highlanders which was among the first I ever owned as AWI Highlanders. For ACW, I own both 10mm metal and 1/72 plastic, but would not use them together.

                                      My SYW Imagination troops are a mix of manufacturers, from 1/72 Revell to 30mm. I generally stick to proper period miniatures, though the accuracy of some sculpts may be questionable. I do have a few AWI figures standing in as militia, and I'm not entirely dissuaded from using one set of painted Napoleonics in the caterpillar crest helm that didn't really become a presence till the early 1800s I think.

                                      My buildings used to all be quick cardstock ones from my teen days, but I am slowly attempting to replace them with proper 15mm buildings. I find the 15mm a good compromise with table space for the 1/72 scale troops, and since we generally use a few houses to represent a village of perhaps a hundred buildings, I don't see a real problem using them with 30mm troops either.

                                      So, yes, not real fussy.

                                      Jonathan

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                        Quite true! Pepole like the Grants, Young, as well as a growing community of ImagNationeers are doing the same. That's where I got the idea. I have all of the Battlegames issues to date. :)

                                        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, James Squib <captain_squib@...> wrote:

                                        > Many a "big name" in wargaming circles has done the self-same thing!
                                        > See Battlegames Magazine issue 1 (I think) and why not?  You have the best of all worlds then (no pun intended). Lots of quality sculpted troop types in their dramatic uniforms, yet your own colour schemes for the armies! Cracker!
                                        >
                                        > Squibzy
                                      • zurikfrostbeard
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                          When I was a kid playing with Airfix sets I mixed all sorts of sets (unpainted) together. The ones I remember were American Indians, US Civil War Federal troops, French Foreign, and the Tarzan set. I had a few Matchbox vehicles that I included in some of the games, including one 6 wheeled exploration vehicle.

                                          I say whatever makes it fun for each person is all that matters. Some people love all the detailed research. Some love to paint. SOme would rather just get something on the table to play a game. And as solo players we don't have to worry that our opponents will object to the way we game (well, most of us don't! lol).

                                          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "dunfalach" <corsair@...> wrote:

                                          > Well, the quickest way to answer the question of how fussy I am would probably be to put one of my neon orange Hot Wheels half-tracks on the table. :> Eventually, I will get around to slapping some green paint on it to make it not so glaringly obvious, but then I have a long queue of eventuallies.

                                          [snip]

                                          > So, yes, not real fussy.
                                          >
                                          > Jonathan

                                        • alloydog
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 7, 2009
                                            --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "zurikfrostbeard" <bounds9532@...> wrote:

                                            > When I was a kid playing with Airfix sets I mixed all sorts of sets (unpainted) together. The ones I remember were American Indians, US Civil War Federal troops, French Foreign, and the Tarzan set. I had a few Matchbox vehicles that I included in some of the games, including one 6 wheeled exploration vehicle.

                                            I used to play, with a friend, with Airfix 1/32nd scale figures. We would dig trench systems at either end of my garden, then throw dirt "bombs". A count up of how many soldiers still standing would determine the winner. I only read Mr Wells' "Little Wars", in my late teens, about ten years after the last clod was thrown. For then next twenty years or so, my mum would find the occasional figure while pulling up weeds and planting flowers.

                                            So, was I wargaming as kid, or was Wells just making excuses for grown blokes to play with toy soldiers? ;)
                                          • esch
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 8, 2009
                                              For me it's either:
                                              1. Everything is perfectly accurate and fully-painted (since you're all
                                              "web-friends" and can't check up on me), or
                                              2. My Lido Zorro is currently on a cow because I misplaced his horse.

                                              I'll leave it up to you to figure out :-)

                                              alloydog wrote:

                                              > C'mon, let's have some real honesty here...
                                              > With solo wargaming in mind, just how fussy are you over your figures,
                                              > scenery and such?

                                            • Ambrose Hawk
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 8, 2009
                                                Alloy Dog wrote:
                                                > So, was I wargaming as kid, or was Wells just making excuses for grown
                                                > blokes to play with toy soldiers? ;)
                                                ----
                                                Yes
                                                :)
                                              • zurikfrostbeard
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 8, 2009
                                                  --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Ambrose Hawk <ahawk@...> wrote:

                                                  > Alloy Dog wrote:
                                                  > > So, was I wargaming as kid, or was Wells just making excuses for grown
                                                  > > blokes to play with toy soldiers? ;)
                                                  > ----
                                                  > Yes
                                                  > :)

                                                  Good answer! :D
                                                • patzermeister
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 12, 2009
                                                    Y'all,

                                                    I'm just as fussy as paper soldiers will allow me to be... when ya game in your skivvies in the middle of the night it really goes to show ya exactly how fussy one really needs NOT to be when soloing!

                                                    tomo
                                                    Indiana
                                                  • milhistorybuff
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 12, 2009
                                                      Yeah, but the great joy with paper soldiers, is you can enlarge them on a photocopier, add in eyebrows and scowls and funny mustaches that suit the period, before you shrink them back down to, un, like 2mm, to fit them back into their brigade.

                                                      How "Fussy" iszat!?

                                                      Bob
                                                      Bob 7 of 19
                                                      Fussiest Oreo eater in the whole foxhole (umn, I'm the ONLY Armadilleaux in this here fur-lined foxhole, at the moment...)