Re: [SoloWarGame] Re: Soloing Flames of War and/or WH40K

  • Bob George
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
      On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM, kriegspiel_developments <masont@...
      > wrote:

      > You might also consider the programmed wargame scenarios book. I know this
      > can be hard to find.
      >
      > It has scenarios for ww2 type forces which should be easy to adapt to FOW.

      I was able to find a reprint of some of the Featherstone books. Any idea of
      the Grant titles are also being re-released? I'd love to find a copy of
      Programmed Scenarios for Wargames.

      - Bob

    • Bob George
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
        On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:00 AM, dglsmrvyn <mcd@...>wrote:

        > [...] Looking at them quickly though I noticed several which reminded me of
        > the I Ain't Been Shot Mum rules from TooFatLardies.

        I've adapted C&C mechanisms from Too Fat Lardies' IABSM and TW&T, Blitzkrieg
        Commander, Crossfire, Peter Pig's PBI, Battlegroup Panzergrenadier, BAPS,
        Arc of Fire, Command Decision 4, Look Sarge No Charts, plus bits and pieces
        of old-school rules like Angriff, Tractics and so on. There are also bits
        from The Sword and the Flame and other non-WW2 rules blended in. I've become
        something of a rules pack-rat, and have no qualms about adapting the best
        bits from each for my games!

        PBI2 (Poor Bloody Infantry) has a very interesting approach to pre-game
        setup, where your two otherwise-equal forces get twisted about in various
        ways to liven up the game.

        Look Sarge No Charts (Battalion level - 1 base = 1 platoon) has interesting
        "spotting" requirements for shooting, along with a double-random
        dice+activation card system that they claim is more fair. If you go for the
        recommended base labeling system, you truly can play without chart lookups.
        They also use a very interesting shooting system using labels on dice that
        gives you instantaneous results without having to reference a chart.

        Blitzkrieg Commander (Battalion level - 1 base = 1 platoon), adapted from
        Warmaster, has the command rolls and multiple-level commanders.

        That said, the Two Hour Wargames rules form the bulk of my solo gaming, with
        minor bits of the others added in. They tend to be at a squad level skirmish
        game though, so may not be exactly what a FoW or WH40K player is after.

        Another thing for the solo gamer to consider is changing figure scales.
        Nobody else will complain! FoW, for example, works beautifully if played
        with 6mm figures without changing the measurements. Of course, if you're
        cramped for space, you can adjust measurements (I use 1 cm = 1 inch for
        simple 2.5X reduction), but FoW really "opens up" in 6mm. I've got a bunch
        of 3mm gear on the bench being prepared for FoW hotel-room gaming as well.

        THW games in 15mm are very cheap to get into! I just use left-over FoW
        figures on pennies. All my 15mm scenery and vehicles are fine as-is, and I
        only need 1 or 2 of any new figure or vehicle if I want to add more variety.
        Later on, I can expand these into full FoW units.

        > They are on a similar company scale as FOW and there are no base
        > compatability problems as they aren't too strict on that kind of thing.

        Most of the games that use group basing will work fine with FoW-based stuff.
        A FoW 'team' will usually become a squad, so you get more bang for your buck
        unit-wise. You may have to create dedicated bases for LMG teams for some,
        but that's about it. I know of players using FoW figures for IABSM,
        Crossfire, PBI, Battlegroup Panzergrenadier, to name a few. As long as both
        sides use the same basing conventions, they generally work fine. You might
        want some sort of casualty markers for games where less than a team can be
        lost.

        > [...] Anyway the elements which they feature which Bob mentioned includes -
        > Blinds (all units are hidden until revealed by spotting),

        I never got blinds to work completely satisfactorily for solo, although you
        could combine them with a random unit generation. I am tinkering with using
        blinds for some of the programmed scenarios.

        > [...] PS I have never played a game in 2 hours in my life!!

        I was surprised that, as I got familiar with the rules and cut out or
        replaced some of the tedious parts (terrain generation and reinforcements),
        I could knock out games with 2-3 squads on each side well within 2 hours!

        In my case, having a game wrap up in an evening is essential, since I often
        game out of hotel rooms while traveling on business.

        > PPS I have several friends called Bob.

        Yes. That is for the best. Ass-i-mil-ate.

        - Bob

      • Mahon
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
          2009/8/28 Bob George <bobstro@...>:

          > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:00 AM, dglsmrvyn
          > <mcd@...>wrote:
          >
          >> [...] Looking at them quickly though I noticed several which reminded me
          >> of
          >
          >> the I Ain't Been Shot Mum rules from TooFatLardies.
          >
          > I've adapted C&C mechanisms from Too Fat Lardies' IABSM and TW&T, Blitzkrieg
          > Commander, Crossfire, Peter Pig's PBI, Battlegroup Panzergrenadier, BAPS,
          > Arc of Fire, Command Decision 4, Look Sarge No Charts, plus bits and pieces
          > of old-school rules like Angriff, Tractics and so on. There are also bits
          > from The Sword and the Flame and other non-WW2 rules blended in. I've become
          > something of a rules pack-rat, and have no qualms about adapting the best
          > bits from each for my games!

          Woo-hoo-hoo, seems like you're not worse ruleset collector than me :D

          > Blitzkrieg Commander (Battalion level - 1 base = 1 platoon), adapted from
          > Warmaster, has the command rolls and multiple-level commanders.

          One of my strong recommendations...

          > That said, the Two Hour Wargames rules form the bulk of my solo gaming, with
          > minor bits of the others added in. They tend to be at a squad level skirmish
          > game though, so may not be exactly what a FoW or WH40K player is after.

          ...and my favorites :)

          I am not sure if that's all that different scale than 40K...
          In WH40K most people tend to field several squads + 2-4 vehicles,
          unless it's a larger battle
          more in case of my favorite Imperial Guard :)

          I played a few games with 2 not-that-small platoons (eg. 3 squads +
          command squad + some support) plus support elements per side and they
          went pretty fast. It's much easier with the method introduced for
          larger games, ie. rolling per group and applying effects individually.
          Games were not much slower than replays using 40K, but more thrilling
          IMHO.

          If you play it in the 40k way (command squads not individuals) it can
          go VERY smoothly.

          > THW games in 15mm are very cheap to get into! I just use left-over FoW
          > figures on pennies. All my 15mm scenery and vehicles are fine as-is, and I
          > only need 1 or 2 of any new figure or vehicle if I want to add more variety.
          > Later on, I can expand these into full FoW units.

          Well, there are no official THW miniatures, so you use whatever you feel like.

          >> Blinds (all units are hidden until revealed by spotting),
          >
          > I never got blinds to work completely satisfactorily for solo, although you
          > could combine them with a random unit generation. I am tinkering with using
          > blinds for some of the programmed scenarios.

          Well, my options would be to:
          a) split enemies into a few forces and roll for every blind which is
          scouted/encountered to see which part of enemy force you encountered
          b) use rules for generation of enemy forces like PEFs (possible enemy
          forces) in THW games
          c) create a few variants of possible enemy forces and when you
          scout/encounter a blind, check which one it is, therefore reducing
          possible options for remaining enemy forces (for example: blind A can
          be tank+squad, tank+2squads, or 2tanks. Blind B is 1squad, or 2
          squads. blind C is 1 tank, or 2 tanks. Total enemy force is: 4 squads
          and 4 tanks. Whatever is not encountered in the first 2 blinds is
          added to the last one, regardless of which blind it is)

          >> [...] PS I have never played a game in 2 hours in my life!!
          >
          > I was surprised that, as I got familiar with the rules and cut out or
          > replaced some of the tedious parts (terrain generation and reinforcements),
          > I could knock out games with 2-3 squads on each side well within 2 hours!

          Sometimes (if you play a REALLY small game) you can finish it in less
          time than setup takes. LOL

          > - Bob

          cheers,
          mahon
        • snusdaase
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
            Thanks, I received them. When I opened them, I realized that you where talking about IABSM!:) I do have a copy of that game, including several scenario booklets. Excellent game! I have thought about borrowing some of the techniques from that game (e.g cards, random cards and random blinds table as well).

            Thanks again!

            --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "dglsmrvyn" <mcd@...> wrote:

            > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "snusdaase" <snusdaase@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you for your tips! Please email me the articles you mentioned, use snusdaase[at]yahoo.no
            > >
            > > Cheers!
            >
            > I've sent you those through...let me know if you don't get them (ho ho).
            >
            > Mervyn (Bob)

          • snusdaase
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
              Thanks for a lot of fantastic tips! I have to sit down and go through what you all have said, and make a system of it.

              Would you say that the books Solo-Wargaming ang Programmed Wargames Scenarios are worth buying? As I mentioned earlier, my goal for solo-wargaming is 1. to be able to play more often than I get to, and 2. To learn the FOW and WH40K rules better. I want some mechanics that make the solo games much more interesting, challenging and unpredictable, and at the same time use the rules in FOW and WH40K for shooting, assaulting, movement, artillery, etc...

              I guess a mix of rigged/random set up, objectives, random reserves and personalities table will be a good way to go. Do the books "Solo-Wargaming" and "Programmed Wargames Scenarios" contain their own rules for movement, shooting, army set-up and so on, or are they just focused on making the solo-wargaming more interesting for most wargames rules systems.

              --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Mahon <mr.mahon.pl@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > forces) in THW games
              > c) create a few variants of possible enemy forces and when you
              > scout/encounter a blind, check which one it is, therefore reducing
              > possible options for remaining enemy forces (for example: blind A can
              > be tank+squad, tank+2squads, or 2tanks. Blind B is 1squad, or 2
              > squads. blind C is 1 tank, or 2 tanks. Total enemy force is: 4 squads
              > and 4 tanks. Whatever is not encountered in the first 2 blinds is
              > added to the last one, regardless of which blind it is)
              >

              > >> [...] PS I have never played a game in 2 hours in my life!!
              > >
              > > I was surprised that, as I got familiar with the rules and cut out or
              > > replaced some of the tedious parts (terrain generation and reinforcements),
              > > I could knock out games with 2-3 squads on each side well within 2 hours!
              >

              > Sometimes (if you play a REALLY small game) you can finish it in less

            • Bob George
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM, snusdaase <snusdaase@...> wrote:

                > Would you say that the books Solo-Wargaming ang Programmed Wargames
                > Scenarios are worth buying?

                Definitely! The Featherstone books is a treasure-trove of great little
                ideas.

                > As I mentioned earlier, my goal for solo-wargaming is 1. to be able to play
                > more often than I get to,

                Both books are excellent value for that goal. I don't own the Grant title
                yet, so don't have all the specifics.

                > and 2. To learn the FOW and WH40K rules better.

                Featherstone is probably of less value for this, as some of the mechanisms
                would fundamentally change the game. I don't have the Grant title yet
                (scenarios), but it should be more helpful for this purpose.

                > I want some mechanics that make the solo games much more interesting,
                > challenging and unpredictable, and at the same time use the rules in FOW and
                > WH40K for shooting, assaulting, movement, artillery, etc...

                You could do a hybrid. Something that's not exactly FoW, but uses the basic
                mechanics as you describe so at least you'll develop a sense of how to
                handle individual actions. The key, I think, is to maintain the stricly
                IGO-UGO (somewhat boring) game sequence these use. Otherwise, the game is
                nothing like "live".

                > I guess a mix of rigged/random set up, objectives, random reserves and
                > personalities table will be a good way to go.

                I'd stick with the standard FoW scenarios in terms of game objectives.
                Definitely do some role playing for your opponent's personality. A tourney
                gamer will play very differently than a historical gamer. Some guys are more
                timid than others, etc. That's where I like the "whack on the head"
                mechanics to force me to think differntly than "I" would in my opponent's
                situation.

                > Do the books "Solo-Wargaming" and "Programmed Wargames Scenarios" contain
                > their own rules for movement, shooting, army set-up and so on, or are they
                > just focused on making the solo-wargaming more interesting for most wargames
                > rules systems.

                This particular Featherstone title does not have rules. His other books
                often do. Be advised though that this is an older work, and some of the
                approaches have a very quaint feel to them. I liked the bit about making
                your wife or kids do the initial setup. :)

                - Bob

              • zurikfrostbeard
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 28, 2009
                  > On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM, snusdaase <snusdaase@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Would you say that the books Solo-Wargaming ang Programmed Wargames
                  > > Scenarios are worth buying?

                  I used to check out Featherstone's book from the local library all the time when I was a kid (way back when it was originally published!) and now own a copy of the reprint. Yeah, it's an old book, but it has lots of ideas and some might "hit the spot" for you. I would say well worth it for any solo gamer.

                  I also have Grant's Programmed Scenarios (as well as some of his other books). It contains scenarios, with recommended forces, maps, setup, etc., options to play either or both sides as programmed or not, and a few other tidbits. I have played 2 or 3 of the scenarios and enjoyed them. I've heard some people say the scenarios aren't balanced, but if true it's fine with me. I would say this one is also worth having and one I'm glad I purchased and held onto all these years.

                  I would also second the Mythic GME (or the full rules, which don't cost that much more) and Variations.

                  I would include all 3 of these in my "shortlist" of useful books/rules for solo gamers. I recently bought a reprint of Asquith's book on solo wargaming, but haven't had time to read it. Maybe it will go on the "shortlist", too. At the moment I can't think of any other books or rules that have meant as much for me as a solo gamer, but that doesn't mean there aren't any others.
                  Grant's and Asquith's other scenarios books have also been useful for me, even though they don't go into solo gaming. Just having different scenarios to choose from when I'm looking for a different game is helpful.

                  Of course, everyone will have their favorites; especially when it comes to rules. But these are some of mine. :)
                • Graham Empson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Hi Guys,

                    Just to add a little more information on the PROGRAMMED WARGAMES SCENARIOS by Charles Stewart Grant. A good site to visit is www.caliverbooks.com who are one of the largest military, wargames, books suppliers in the UK. I have been using them for decades and have quite often found the WRG titles that I wanted. Haven't heard any plans for re-print but will keep my ears open.

                    Regards

                    Lone "Wolf" Warrior (aka 'That Graham Empson')

                    "Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare. . . " Japanese Proverb