Re: 6mm scale buildings (for free?)

  • black.rob96
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Steven Bird <stevekbird58@...>
      wrote:

      > Love the buildings and terrain.
      >
      > Any chance of a "blue peter" step by step guide as to how to do it?
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Steve

      Glad you like the pics. they show my 18th century set-up pretty well.

      For all those who'd like an clear explanation on how EXACTLY to
      produce these quick, easy & cheap buildings shown in the snaps, there
      will be an article published in the "Solo Wargamer's Association's"
      magazine... "Lone Warrior" ...sometime in the near future (can't say
      precisely in which issue, as that is up to the editor) together with
      a number of explanitory photographs & drawings.

      For anyone interested "Lone Warrior" is available from Rich Barbuto,
      1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS 66048 USA.
      (and, I believe, is available via MAGWEB).

      I've been a member of the association (off & on) since 1978. And for
      anyone who hasn't seen the magazine "Lone Warrior", I can thoroughly
      recommend it.

      Steve Turner.
    • teppetts
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hiya

        Do you kntow if Lone Warrior is available in the UK. I have tried the
        Magweb sie a few times and it seems to be no longer working ...

        Thanks

        Simon

        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "black.rob96" <butternut@...> wrote:

        > --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Steven Bird <stevekbird58@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Love the buildings and terrain.
        > >
        > > Any chance of a "blue peter" step by step guide as to how to do it?
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Steve
        >
        > Glad you like the pics. they show my 18th century set-up pretty well.
        >
        > For all those who'd like an clear explanation on how EXACTLY to
        > produce these quick, easy & cheap buildings shown in the snaps, there
        > will be an article published in the "Solo Wargamer's Association's"
        > magazine... "Lone Warrior" ...sometime in the near future (can't say
        > precisely in which issue, as that is up to the editor) together with
        > a number of explanitory photographs & drawings.
        >
        > For anyone interested "Lone Warrior" is available from Rich Barbuto,
        > 1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS 66048 USA.
        > (and, I believe, is available via MAGWEB).
        >
        > I've been a member of the association (off & on) since 1978. And for
        > anyone who hasn't seen the magazine "Lone Warrior", I can thoroughly
        > recommend it.
        >
        > Steve Turner.

      • Mel Spence
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          Simon,

          I'm not the only one then. I have tried contacting their tech support, but
          the email bounced back. Has anyone successfully contacted magweb recently?

          Cheers

          Mel

          _____

          --- In SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
          "black.rob96" <butternut@...> wrote:

          > --- In SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, Steven Bird <stevekbird58@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Love the buildings and terrain.
          > >
          > > Any chance of a "blue peter" step by step guide as to how to do it?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Steve
          >
          > Glad you like the pics. they show my 18th century set-up pretty well.
          >
          > For all those who'd like an clear explanation on how EXACTLY to
          > produce these quick, easy & cheap buildings shown in the snaps, there
          > will be an article published in the "Solo Wargamer's Association's"
          > magazine... "Lone Warrior" ...sometime in the near future (can't say
          > precisely in which issue, as that is up to the editor) together with
          > a number of explanitory photographs & drawings.
          >
          > For anyone interested "Lone Warrior" is available from Rich Barbuto,
          > 1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS 66048 USA.
          > (and, I believe, is available via MAGWEB).
          >
          > I've been a member of the association (off & on) since 1978. And for
          > anyone who hasn't seen the magazine "Lone Warrior", I can thoroughly
          > recommend it.
          >
          > Steve Turner.

        • black.rob96
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
            --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "teppetts" <simon@...> wrote:

            > Hiya
            >
            > Do you kntow if Lone Warrior is available in the UK. I have tried
            the
            > Magweb sie a few times and it seems to be no longer working ...
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Simon

            Don't know anything about Magweb, but Lone Warrior is not now
            available in the UK (it folded as a separate magazine a couple of
            years ago because, I believe, the membership numbers in the UK
            dropped too low).

            The Solo Wargamer's Association was started back in the 1970's by
            John Bennett, and is now run by Rich Barbuto from the USA. However,
            don't let that put you off if you live elsewhere in the world. I live
            in the UK and still take the association's magazine "Lone Warrior"
            every edition (my personal collection now runs to something like 150
            editions).
            I simply prefer the "hard copy" dropping through my letterbox rather
            than buying via the internet from Magweb (and on Magweb LW is always
            published 2 editions in arrears anyway).

            The SWA's motto has always been "A Magazine for Solo Wargamers,
            Written & Produced by Solo Wargamers" and invariably has something of
            interest for virtually everyone. I know the association is always
            pleased to welcome new members, and needs as many as possible to keep
            it strong and it's magazine viable.

            So, if you're interested and you'd like to become a member then drop
            a line to Rich Barbuto, 1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS 66048, USA.
            The subscription rates are still, I believe, $30US (if you live
            outside the US) and should only be paid in paper currency (no
            cheques, money orders or anything else I'm afraid - cash only) but
            it's so easy now to change £s sterling into $US at your local post
            office I've never found this any problem at all.

            If you need any more info about Lone Warrior, then please post here
            and I'll try to answer your questions.
            Oh yes, LW runs, at present, to 52 pages, but I understand that this
            may increase in the near future.

            Steve Turner.
          • Bob George
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
              On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Mel Spence <
              melspence@...> wrote:

              > I'm not the only one then. I have tried contacting their tech support, but
              > the email bounced back. Has anyone successfully contacted magweb recently?

              I signed up for a 1 year subscription back in February of this year, and was
              dismayed to find it not working in July. The official explanation is that
              they suffered a lightening strike which, together with a faulty backup,
              resulted in a loss of their server and associated data. They're supposedly
              "in the process" of rebuilding, but it has been several months now.

              I was able to contact the owner at lockwood@... and he provided me
              a temporary login. The interim web site is: http://magweb.n1uro.com

              Unfortunately, the search function still does not appear to be working, so
              the site has lost a lot of it's benefit. We are limited to digging through
              the many many article categories manually looking for tidbits. However, they
              do seem to be adding new content slowly.

              Magweb's a great idea, and I was happy to subscribe for a year to support
              them. I do hope they make it back to full function, but this has been
              disappointing.

              - Bob

              > Cheers
              >

              > Mel
              >
              > _____

            • James Squib
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                Yes, Simon, Lone Warrior (an excellent magazine!) is available in the UK - and I subscribe to it.
                The Solo Wargamers Association is now run by a great fella called Rich Barbuto, from Fort Leavenworth, Kansus.
                You can subscribe to the (paper) magazine by sending $30 (30 USD in real paper money to Solo Wargamers Association, 1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS66048 - or by PayPal via email to lonewarrior@...

                I've paid for my subs with real dollars for several years with no trouble mailing "sponduliks", but the new PayPal way is far easier!  It's a quarterly magazine, as you know, and we're all eagerly awaiting the last of this year's mags (Oct-Dec08).  For anyone who enjoys solo gaming LW is a must as there are always SO many crackin' good articles every quarter - for so little outlay.  I subscribe to Miniature Wargames Magazine, and Wargames Illustrated as well, but my firm favourite is LW because of the sheer number of inspiring articles written by "ordinary" wargamers ... that's if you can call the giants of our hobby like Bob Stewart, Kenn Hart, Graham Empson, Marvin Scott, Chris Hahn and Kevin White "ordinary"!  I just wish I had more time to play some of their scenarios, or adapt them to my own interests... Great stuff, fellas!  Squibzy salutes LW and all who sail in her!

                Do you kntow if Lone Warrior is available in the UK. I have tried the
                Magweb sie a few times and it seems to be no longer working ...

                Thanks

                Simon

                --- In SoloWarGame@ yahoogroups. com, "black.rob96" <butternut@. ..> wrote:

                > --- In SoloWarGame@ yahoogroups. com, Steven Bird <stevekbird58@ >
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Love the buildings and terrain.
                > >
                > > Any chance of a "blue peter" step by step guide as to how to do it?
                > >
                > > Regards
                > >
                > > Steve
                >
                > Glad you like the pics. they show my 18th century set-up pretty well.
                >
                > For all those who'd like an clear explanation on how EXACTLY to
                > produce these quick, easy & cheap buildings shown in the snaps, there
                > will be an article published in the "Solo Wargamer's Association' s"
                > magazine... "Lone Warrior" ...sometime in the near future (can't say
                > precisely in which issue, as that is up to the editor) together with
                > a number of explanitory photographs & drawings.
                >
                > For anyone interested "Lone Warrior" is available from Rich Barbuto,
                > 1707 Ridge Road, Leavenworth, KS 66048 USA.
                > (and, I believe, is available via MAGWEB).
                >
                > I've been a member of the association (off & on) since 1978. And for
                > anyone who hasn't seen the magazine "Lone Warrior", I can thoroughly
                > recommend it.
                >
                > Steve Turner.

              • black.rob96
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                  For all those interested,

                  Rich Barbuto, the editor of "Lone Warrior" can be contacted by e-mail
                  at:

                  lonewarrior@...

                  Hope this is of help.

                  Steve Turner.