RE: Lone Warrior 128

  • David.Heading@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 1999
      Greetings Vic & Slavka

      > David, I understand that Tony Barr and his club are using
      > Principles of War. You
      > could probably contact him for more details.

      Indeed they do, and there is even a net based FAQ for the rules:
      http://www.addesigninc.com/pow/faq.html linked to from the HWS page.
      Splendid, thank you. I shall look out for them at Warfare.

      > Slavka, I have done Cyberboard gameboxes for David's
      > Renaissance Naval rules and for
      > DBR. Contact me direct if you would like zipped copies.

      And very nice counters they are too. The naval rules themselves are at
      http://www.sw20orx.demon.co.uk/pbm.html and follow the link for 'rules'.
      Fame at last :^).

      Cheers
      David Heading
    • lboye@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 1999
        Principles of War is a commercial ruleset published in UK
        and is available from many mail-order companies like Caliver Books
        (www.caliverbooks.demon.co.uk) and Tabletop Games.
        They have three sets of armylists plus a Napoleonic variant.
        They are supported by the Victorian Military Society, from whoes
        wargaming group they originated. I met the authors at Salute 96 and
        I have corresponded with them. Great guys.
        Basically the units are battalions made up of 9-12 figures in 15mm.
        You could use 25mm with six figures and just double the ranges
        and call them companies.

        Some of the rule mechanism are:
        The final quality of the units is not known until it goes
        into action for the first time. Each Unit has a basic and variable
        strength based on its quality. A steadfast veteran could have a base
        strength of 8 and a variable one of 2DA. A regular green could have
        one of 4 + 1D10. Technically you do not dice for the variable until
        you need it. Often you would do it beforehand. The trick is not to
        do it until you need it for firing, testing morale or what ever.
        The effect of the terrain is unknown, till you try to move
        across it or use it as cover. For each type of terrain you roll a chart
        when you enter it or try to cross it. It might turn out to be a small
        ditch or an impossible ravine, when you come close enough to really see it.
        There is a sighting/spotting rule. You cannot shoot at units you
        have not spotted. You should ignore them. There is a fancy moving base
        systems for pre-battle maneuvers and hidden units, but I do not use it.
        There is a die based Initiative Point system for movement and
        actions. A poor officer get 1D4 points, an average 1D6 and a good 1DA
        points. Each action you want your units to take cost one point. If they
        are far from you or in combat, it could be more expensive. So to rally a
        unit, and move it forward costs 2 points. As each officer might have
        4-6 units he either has to rely on group moves for maneuver (not allowed
        for charges) or prioritize.

        There is a FAQ at:
        http://www.addesigninc.com/fun/pow/pow-faq.html

        Cheers,

        Lars

        Greetings!

        Lone Warrior 128 (Sept. 1999) popped onto my doormat a couple of days ago.
        Splendid issue, made even better by the presence of two Renaissance articles
        :^).
        Some questions arising from the issue, which might be of more general
        interest.

        1. There is a short article about Principles of War, a ruleset for
        Colonial/Napoleonic games. It seems to have high solo playability, but does
        anyone know anything else about it, like where I can get a copy, for
        example, how much it costs and which bits I can borrow for my own rules.
      • David Heading
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 1999
          Greetings,
          Thank you Lars for the information on Principles of War - they sound highly
          useful even to a non-colonial solo player. I like the idea of hidden terrain
          types and unknown troop capabilities. It should keep the players guessing
          (and as they are both me, that should be fun).

          Other questions:
          1. Cyberboard. The Cyberboard phenomenon seems to be growing - does anyone
          out there use it for anything other than single battles? I'm thinking of
          converting my campaign map to CB, and then reinventing my 1618-something
          campaign using it and much simpler rules. For CB battles, are they not
          rather slow by email?

          2. Campaigns. I tend to the major strategic campaign, with a quick (and
          nasty) interface to table top battles. Does anyone else out there run
          campaigns, and if so are they local, a single front or the whole war? Any
          notes or suggestions or other ideas would be more than welcome.

          3. Battles. Do most people line 'em up and run 'em down, or write orders for
          each side or use preset tables for one or both deployments?

          I hope this might spark more chat than the advertising did...

          Cheers
          David Heading