Re: Lone Warrior 128

  • Victor Pocilujko
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 1999
      Hi Slavka et al

      > From: Slavka Savelje <slavkas@...>

      > Greetings David et al!
      >
      > Tabletop Games ( 29 Beresford Ave. Skegness, Lincs. PE25 3JF, tel. 01754 767779
      > )
      > are selling them ( October' Miniature Wargaming Add ) for 8 GBP - Rules, and
      > 6 GBP - Army lists.

      David, I understand that Tony Barr and his club are using Principles of War. You
      could probably contact him for more details.

      > Two of us here (in the Czech Republic) are planning to check the Cyberboard
      > out soon and, perhaps, try to play some ready-made gamebox.
      > Les champs de batailles ( English rules ) looking very attractive,
      > some kind of card using DBM system.

      Slavka, I have done Cyberboard gameboxes for David's Renaissance Naval rules and for
      DBR. Contact me direct if you would like zipped copies.

      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Cheers,
      >

      > Slavka

      Cheers

      Vic Pocilujko
      (Grumpy)

      Grumpy's Miniatures Catalogue at http://www.freeyellow.com/members/grumpys
    • David.Heading@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 1999
        Greetings Vic & Slavka

        > David, I understand that Tony Barr and his club are using
        > Principles of War. You
        > could probably contact him for more details.

        Indeed they do, and there is even a net based FAQ for the rules:
        http://www.addesigninc.com/pow/faq.html linked to from the HWS page.
        Splendid, thank you. I shall look out for them at Warfare.

        > Slavka, I have done Cyberboard gameboxes for David's
        > Renaissance Naval rules and for
        > DBR. Contact me direct if you would like zipped copies.

        And very nice counters they are too. The naval rules themselves are at
        http://www.sw20orx.demon.co.uk/pbm.html and follow the link for 'rules'.
        Fame at last :^).

        Cheers
        David Heading
      • lboye@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 1999
          Principles of War is a commercial ruleset published in UK
          and is available from many mail-order companies like Caliver Books
          (www.caliverbooks.demon.co.uk) and Tabletop Games.
          They have three sets of armylists plus a Napoleonic variant.
          They are supported by the Victorian Military Society, from whoes
          wargaming group they originated. I met the authors at Salute 96 and
          I have corresponded with them. Great guys.
          Basically the units are battalions made up of 9-12 figures in 15mm.
          You could use 25mm with six figures and just double the ranges
          and call them companies.

          Some of the rule mechanism are:
          The final quality of the units is not known until it goes
          into action for the first time. Each Unit has a basic and variable
          strength based on its quality. A steadfast veteran could have a base
          strength of 8 and a variable one of 2DA. A regular green could have
          one of 4 + 1D10. Technically you do not dice for the variable until
          you need it. Often you would do it beforehand. The trick is not to
          do it until you need it for firing, testing morale or what ever.
          The effect of the terrain is unknown, till you try to move
          across it or use it as cover. For each type of terrain you roll a chart
          when you enter it or try to cross it. It might turn out to be a small
          ditch or an impossible ravine, when you come close enough to really see it.
          There is a sighting/spotting rule. You cannot shoot at units you
          have not spotted. You should ignore them. There is a fancy moving base
          systems for pre-battle maneuvers and hidden units, but I do not use it.
          There is a die based Initiative Point system for movement and
          actions. A poor officer get 1D4 points, an average 1D6 and a good 1DA
          points. Each action you want your units to take cost one point. If they
          are far from you or in combat, it could be more expensive. So to rally a
          unit, and move it forward costs 2 points. As each officer might have
          4-6 units he either has to rely on group moves for maneuver (not allowed
          for charges) or prioritize.

          There is a FAQ at:
          http://www.addesigninc.com/fun/pow/pow-faq.html

          Cheers,

          Lars

          Greetings!

          Lone Warrior 128 (Sept. 1999) popped onto my doormat a couple of days ago.
          Splendid issue, made even better by the presence of two Renaissance articles
          :^).
          Some questions arising from the issue, which might be of more general
          interest.

          1. There is a short article about Principles of War, a ruleset for
          Colonial/Napoleonic games. It seems to have high solo playability, but does
          anyone know anything else about it, like where I can get a copy, for
          example, how much it costs and which bits I can borrow for my own rules.
        • David Heading
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 1999
            Greetings,
            Thank you Lars for the information on Principles of War - they sound highly
            useful even to a non-colonial solo player. I like the idea of hidden terrain
            types and unknown troop capabilities. It should keep the players guessing
            (and as they are both me, that should be fun).

            Other questions:
            1. Cyberboard. The Cyberboard phenomenon seems to be growing - does anyone
            out there use it for anything other than single battles? I'm thinking of
            converting my campaign map to CB, and then reinventing my 1618-something
            campaign using it and much simpler rules. For CB battles, are they not
            rather slow by email?

            2. Campaigns. I tend to the major strategic campaign, with a quick (and
            nasty) interface to table top battles. Does anyone else out there run
            campaigns, and if so are they local, a single front or the whole war? Any
            notes or suggestions or other ideas would be more than welcome.

            3. Battles. Do most people line 'em up and run 'em down, or write orders for
            each side or use preset tables for one or both deployments?

            I hope this might spark more chat than the advertising did...

            Cheers
            David Heading