Re: [SoloWarGame] other play aone Squad Leader yet to be known

  • Pelle Nilsson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2008
      Hi,

      phxrisg@... writes:

      > Why is there no Vietnam or modern squad leader?I think solitaire would work
      > there too! There are dozens of possible African scenarios or jungle conflicts
      > and I think these would be fun for game play alone and even exciting.

      I hope "Fields of Fire", once it is released, will fill in that gap,
      even though it is not exactly squad leader. I prefer games on ww1 or
      ww2, but I think the system for this game looks very promising, and
      have preordered it from GMT. From the game homepage:

      "Fields of Fire is a solitaire game of commanding a rifle company
      between World War II and Present Day. The game is different from many
      tactical games in that it is diceless and card based. There are two
      decks used to play. The Terrain Deck is based on a specific region and
      is used to build a map for the various missions your company must
      perform. The Action deck serves many purposes in controlling combat,
      command and control, various activity attempts. The units of the
      company are counters representing headquarters elements, squads,
      weapons teams, forward observers, individual vehicles or
      helicopters. A single playing is a mission and several missions from
      an historical campaign are strung together for the player to manage
      experience and replacements. A mission can be played in about 1 - 2
      hours.

      This game is based on three actual campaigns experienced by units of
      the 9th US Infantry in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam."

      http://www.gmtgames.com/p-111-fields-of-fire.aspx
      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22877

      The image gallery on BGG has a series of images describing how some
      of the rules work. The full playtest rules have been posted somewhere
      as well, probably on CSW.

      --
      /Pelle