Re: [SoloWarGame] help with a game mechanism (scouting)

  • HTMG
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2007
      Are you looking for map based method or something abstract?

      I use opposed Rep tests for this sort of thing.

      Modifiers can include weather conditions, mounted or on foot, close or open terrain, etc.

      Hope that gives you some ideas.

      Bob

    • Tekawiz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
        Hi John, Maybe you can provide a little more context to what occurs
        when this situation comes up.

        I assume your characters or squad comes up to a hex or an area and
        needs to scout the area for info or to triger an event.

        For example you can create an event table with a 1D6 and the die
        will give you a result. If you have more than 6 events you can go to
        a D10 or a D12. You can even have subtables to further define your
        results.

        You can modify the dice roll with character perception/experience
        checks, current state of condition, the type of terrain.

        Hope this helps.

        Kurt

        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "aconite13" <Terrement@...> wrote:

        > Hi y'all,
        >
        > I'm working on a game where I'm going to need to solo some scouting
        > results under different circumstances (bandits scouting target
        > village, troops scouting for bandits & renegades, rangers scouting
        for
        > both the bandit camp and the bandit scouts, but the bandits don't
        know
        > they are being scouted, etc.
        >
        > I can "wing it", but before I do, I thought I'd ask the group if
        > anyone has done this successfully in your own games, or, if
        > unsuccessfully, what didn't work & why so I don't have to re-invent
        > the square (as opposed to the wheel).
        >
        > I don't know if this is something that can (has been?) be lifted
        from
        > a published rules set, or if y'all have something homegrown that
        you use.

        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > John

      • aconite13
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2007
          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Tekawiz" <tekawiz@...> wrote:

          > Hi John, Maybe you can provide a little more context to what occurs
          > when this situation comes up.
          > (SNIP)

          Here's the situations I have in mind, each a little different based on
          the skill and intent of the parties involved, and their knowledge of
          the area.
          1. Calvera's bandit gang - general familiarity with the area, passing
          familiarity with any of the towns he visits. No rival gangs of his
          type in the area. Would not be expecting to see changes as he
          approaches the village (he didn't notice the new walls and ditches
          until confronted by Chris the first time in the village and was only
          vaguely suspicious but not overly concerned when his 3 scouts did not
          return). Knows that there are renegades in the area, but that the
          interests of the two groups are not mutually exclusive, so unless
          either group steps on the toes of the other, no worries there. Once
          they strike the town and get caught in the crossfire from the
          Gunslingers, they would likely try to scout the town before hitting it
          again. Would not suspect the Gunslingers would be proactive and scout
          them. Is aware of the possibility of a troop of federales on patrol,
          but would not be looking for them unless they picked up information
          they were in the area, or if the federales were close to stumbling
          across the hideout.
          2. The Gunslingers. In the movie, none appeared to be true "scouts"
          as one thinks of them, but with some skill in noticing good vantage
          points and moving quietly as a skilled gun hand might have to do
          (Britt, after the village party is disturbed). Chico scouts the
          bandit camp late in the film by entering at night clothed as one of
          the bandits (sombrero, serape), and is able to do so easily & without
          question (lax attitude? ineptness of guards? really good dice rolling
          when it was his turn?). They also would have scouted out the village
          itself both from the standpoint of defending it (fields of fire,
          covering fire, blind spots, etc), as well as their return after being
          told to "Ride on..."
          3. The Federales. Not in the movie, this would be a cavalry troop
          patrolling the area, and would likely have riders scouting ahead - not
          so much searching like a posse would hot on the trail of someone, but
          looking for signs of possible trouble, and to provide advanced warning
          to the troop if they stumbled into some problem they could not avoid.
          4. Posse like pursuit. Federales vs either Calvera or a band of
          renegades. Posse from town on the trail of robbers.
          5. Trailing in quiet pursuit. A Texas Ranger keeping track of
          someone in the group - following and scouting them without being detected.
          6. In general, the day to day ability so suss out (southern for
          "assess") the situation before blindly stepping into it. Likely spot
          for an ambush, am I being trailed, etc.

          Those are the sort of things I'm wrestling with. I know I can do a
          "well, it's dark out, the wind is in front of me (I can smell their
          campfire, they can't smell me), but there's a lot of dried brush and
          twigs so I have a chance of stepping on something I don't notice that
          would alert them, the campfire group is eating so they aren't looking,
          it's Wednesday, and I have a lucky rabbit foot with me so it is an 85%
          chance I'll get the information completely and correctly 10% chance
          I'll be close and 5% I'll miss something key. There is a 72% chance I
          can get close enough to go undetected. If I snap a twig and freeze,
          the re is a 50 / 50 chance they'll send someone out to investigate,
          etc" but I was hoping for something that would cover my bases based
          on what has worked for others in these sorts of situations without
          resorting to the nonsense machinations like the example above (72%,
          no wait maybe it is only 68%...) or oversimplifying it like a coin
          toss for the whole event.

          Thanks,

          John