RE: [SPAM] [SoloWarGame] Re: Anybody designing their own solo game?

  • Rick Devonshire
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
      I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I does
      sound interesting.

      Rick

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
        Ok, here's an overview of the WW II 1:1 solo skirmish game I'm
        working on.

        The scale is a squad of US soldiers VS a squad of german soldiers
        plus or minus a few when activated.

        The overall mission mechanic is much like B17. Another example of
        this mechanic can be found in Way of the Warrior found on the
        Warpspawn games website. Basically the squad is advancing from sector
        to sector until they reach their objective in the last sector. Each
        sector is a terrain. I have about 26 different terrains, ie woods,
        towns, bridges, streams, vineyards, hedgerows, etc.

        Like B17 the amount of sectors can be determined randomly. Within
        each sector are events determnined by a dice roll. For example, "the
        squad hears some rustling in the bushes...", A sgt appears with his
        squad and says his name is Sgt Saunders - he joins your squad, the
        squad finds itself in a minefield, etc. Of course a dice roll can
        generate a German patrol and the battle begins.

        The battlefield is layed out like a football field, consisting of 6
        zones. To make a long story short the Germans can appear in a zone
        that is close, medium or long range relative to the US squad. This
        determines, among other things weapon effectiveness and for example
        close assaualt which can only occur when the the opposing soldiers
        are in adjacent zones.

        The combat system is a mix of Crossfire and Red Poppy White Rose
        rules, a simplified version of Crossfire. Combat resoltion is simple
        using multiple dice and a few modifiers to hit. Once a soldier is
        hit, he is "suppressed" and not neccesarily dead.

        I use a simplified version of Piquet which is really the heart of
        this solo game. I use two decks of 38 cards 1 German and 1 American.
        The cards determine the action. The side that has the initiative
        draws from their deck. For example some cards might be, Open Fire,
        Reload, Close Assault, Move Forward, Flanking Maneuver, enemy grenade
        lands near by, soldier panics, etc. The added twist is that during
        each initiative phase, the phasing side only has 1-20 impetous points
        to spend based on a roll of a d20. For example if the phasing side
        rolls a 5, that side draws an Open Fire card (which is a cost of one
        impetous point itself). This leaves 4 impetous points left, so that
        side can only open fire with 4 soldiers. Once the entire squad has
        taken a shot, they cannot fire again until a Reload card has been
        drawn. Again the draw of the Reload card costs one impetous point. If
        there are only 2 impetous points remaining in the intiative phase,
        only 2 soldiers can reload. Movement is the same way and is from zone
        to zone - either forward one zone or backwards one zone - if
        a "Withdraw" card is drawn. The assumption is that the soldiers are
        using the best cover possible when moving and setting up to fire -
        this eliminates player bias. As explained above, movement can only
        occur with unused impetous points so not all soldiers will be able to
        move when the Movement card is drawn. I've left out quite a few of
        the variables, but as you can see this makes for a very unpredictable
        chaotic battle that is always replayable.

        Once the battle is over, and your squad has survived they can
        continue their march to their objective rolling for events on each
        terrain until another German patrol is activated.

        The same system can be used for any time period.

        Kurt

        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Devonshire" <RickDev57@...>
        wrote:

        > I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I
        does
        > sound interesting.
        >

        > Rick
        >

        > _____

      • Rick Devonshire
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
          That certainly does sound well thought out. You have achieved a totally
          random result. I'll have to have a look at the 'mission mechanic' This would
          work using the various sets available from Two Hour Wargames. Can you post
          the table used to determine the amount of sectors?

          Rick

          _____

          "Rick Devonshire" <RickDev57@...>
          wrote:

          > I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I
          does
          > sound interesting.
          >

          > Rick
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          > That sounds like a lot of fun --- I'd never have thought to use B17
          > for ground war! Love to see a more detailed after action report
          (the
          > nuts and bolts of how you put it together).
          >
          > Bob
          > Seur D'Armadilleaux
          > With his Dijon mustard and French Oreo cookies ("au lait") at the
          > bottom of the fur-lined foxhole
          >
          > --- In SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com,
          > "Tekawiz" <tekawiz@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I see a lot of solo gaming concepts posted here and was curious
          > know
          > > if anybody is designing a solo game for themselves. If so what
          > time
          > > period, scale and methods/techniques are you using?
          > >
          > > For the last couple years I've beeen working on a solo man to man
          > > combat game set in WW II France with with rpg elements. Missions
          > are
          > > played out like B17 Queen of the Skies, but on the ground. I've
          > blended
          > > rules from Crossfire/Piquet and some elements of other rules. The
          > > battlefield is abstract similar to the concept used in Patton's
          > Best. I
          > > found area movement eliminates any programed movement and player
          > > biases. It also assumes the enemy is intelligent enough to find
          > cover
          > > if it exists. So far the battles are turning out to be chaotic
          and
          > > unpredictable.
          > >
          > > Anybody else want to share their solo projects?
          > >
          > > Kurt

        • aconite13
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
            Another example of
            > this mechanic can be found in Way of the Warrior found on the
            > Warpspawn games website. (SNIP)

            Hi, Went to WebSpawn and found a LOT of things - but nothing titled
            Way of the Warrior. Did I just miss it, or can you provide the link /
            recheck the title? Thanks. I like your overall model for 1:1 and
            will try adapting it to other periods.

            Cheers,

            John
          • Dave Woollcombe-Gosson
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
              John,

              You want Warp Spawn, not Web Spawn. Look under game list - solo - ww2.

              HTH

              Dave

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                -Hi

                I did go to warpspawn, just mistyped my letter. Clicked on the
                hyperlink for:

                Way of the Warrior
                Small unit missions by Zak Solo Submitted Jan. 1st, 1968 (Monday)
                Written by Zak"

                and got a 404 error with the note
                Your lucky numbers for today: 4, 0, 4.
                Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL.
                Try the search box below to find more information about your topic.
              • aconite13
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                  -The Kit Carson game is also a dead link, though the rest of them in
                  solo work. Can you send a copy / post it in our files or is there
                  another mechanism from the page or elsewhere that would have the WotW
                  info?

                  Cheers,

                  John
                • Robert Corcoran
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                    How about setting up a folder for home-made rules contributions? I've been
                    scribbling down ideas for various periods for a long time - I'm on a bit of
                    a naval thing at the moment (WW2).
                    Many of these ideas don't get finished and make it to the table, but they
                    continue on as a work in progress. This way we'd all get the benefit of the
                    group's collective creativity - either in the group or direct to the author.
                    Cheers
                    Robert