Re: [SoloWarGame] Re: Anybody designing their own solo game?

  • HTMG
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 11:37 AM
      As Bob mentioned, Two Hour Wargames titles are all suitable for solo or same-side as well as face to face play.

      In writing Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory, we kept this goal firmly in mind.

      There aren't rules to control every move of every figure, but there are rules for randomizing enemy deployment and the reaction system makes sure that figures (even your allies) take on a life of their own as the game plays out.

      Our campaign games are designed around only 1 PC. Additional players, if any can take control of the game generated enemies, or work as partners in your outfit. Another approach is for each player to have a campaign of their own in which the PC's may never actually meet one another.

      Regards,
      Bob M.

    • Rick Devonshire
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
        I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I does
        sound interesting.

        Rick

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2007
          Ok, here's an overview of the WW II 1:1 solo skirmish game I'm
          working on.

          The scale is a squad of US soldiers VS a squad of german soldiers
          plus or minus a few when activated.

          The overall mission mechanic is much like B17. Another example of
          this mechanic can be found in Way of the Warrior found on the
          Warpspawn games website. Basically the squad is advancing from sector
          to sector until they reach their objective in the last sector. Each
          sector is a terrain. I have about 26 different terrains, ie woods,
          towns, bridges, streams, vineyards, hedgerows, etc.

          Like B17 the amount of sectors can be determined randomly. Within
          each sector are events determnined by a dice roll. For example, "the
          squad hears some rustling in the bushes...", A sgt appears with his
          squad and says his name is Sgt Saunders - he joins your squad, the
          squad finds itself in a minefield, etc. Of course a dice roll can
          generate a German patrol and the battle begins.

          The battlefield is layed out like a football field, consisting of 6
          zones. To make a long story short the Germans can appear in a zone
          that is close, medium or long range relative to the US squad. This
          determines, among other things weapon effectiveness and for example
          close assaualt which can only occur when the the opposing soldiers
          are in adjacent zones.

          The combat system is a mix of Crossfire and Red Poppy White Rose
          rules, a simplified version of Crossfire. Combat resoltion is simple
          using multiple dice and a few modifiers to hit. Once a soldier is
          hit, he is "suppressed" and not neccesarily dead.

          I use a simplified version of Piquet which is really the heart of
          this solo game. I use two decks of 38 cards 1 German and 1 American.
          The cards determine the action. The side that has the initiative
          draws from their deck. For example some cards might be, Open Fire,
          Reload, Close Assault, Move Forward, Flanking Maneuver, enemy grenade
          lands near by, soldier panics, etc. The added twist is that during
          each initiative phase, the phasing side only has 1-20 impetous points
          to spend based on a roll of a d20. For example if the phasing side
          rolls a 5, that side draws an Open Fire card (which is a cost of one
          impetous point itself). This leaves 4 impetous points left, so that
          side can only open fire with 4 soldiers. Once the entire squad has
          taken a shot, they cannot fire again until a Reload card has been
          drawn. Again the draw of the Reload card costs one impetous point. If
          there are only 2 impetous points remaining in the intiative phase,
          only 2 soldiers can reload. Movement is the same way and is from zone
          to zone - either forward one zone or backwards one zone - if
          a "Withdraw" card is drawn. The assumption is that the soldiers are
          using the best cover possible when moving and setting up to fire -
          this eliminates player bias. As explained above, movement can only
          occur with unused impetous points so not all soldiers will be able to
          move when the Movement card is drawn. I've left out quite a few of
          the variables, but as you can see this makes for a very unpredictable
          chaotic battle that is always replayable.

          Once the battle is over, and your squad has survived they can
          continue their march to their objective rolling for events on each
          terrain until another German patrol is activated.

          The same system can be used for any time period.

          Kurt

          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Devonshire" <RickDev57@...>
          wrote:

          > I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I
          does
          > sound interesting.
          >

          > Rick
          >

          > _____

        • Rick Devonshire
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
            That certainly does sound well thought out. You have achieved a totally
            random result. I'll have to have a look at the 'mission mechanic' This would
            work using the various sets available from Two Hour Wargames. Can you post
            the table used to determine the amount of sectors?

            Rick

            _____

            "Rick Devonshire" <RickDev57@...>
            wrote:

            > I second Bob's comments. I too would like to see hoe you did it. I
            does
            > sound interesting.
            >

            > Rick
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
            > That sounds like a lot of fun --- I'd never have thought to use B17
            > for ground war! Love to see a more detailed after action report
            (the
            > nuts and bolts of how you put it together).
            >
            > Bob
            > Seur D'Armadilleaux
            > With his Dijon mustard and French Oreo cookies ("au lait") at the
            > bottom of the fur-lined foxhole
            >
            > --- In SoloWarGame@ <mailto:SoloWarGame%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com,
            > "Tekawiz" <tekawiz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I see a lot of solo gaming concepts posted here and was curious
            > know
            > > if anybody is designing a solo game for themselves. If so what
            > time
            > > period, scale and methods/techniques are you using?
            > >
            > > For the last couple years I've beeen working on a solo man to man
            > > combat game set in WW II France with with rpg elements. Missions
            > are
            > > played out like B17 Queen of the Skies, but on the ground. I've
            > blended
            > > rules from Crossfire/Piquet and some elements of other rules. The
            > > battlefield is abstract similar to the concept used in Patton's
            > Best. I
            > > found area movement eliminates any programed movement and player
            > > biases. It also assumes the enemy is intelligent enough to find
            > cover
            > > if it exists. So far the battles are turning out to be chaotic
            and
            > > unpredictable.
            > >
            > > Anybody else want to share their solo projects?
            > >
            > > Kurt

          • aconite13
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
              Another example of
              > this mechanic can be found in Way of the Warrior found on the
              > Warpspawn games website. (SNIP)

              Hi, Went to WebSpawn and found a LOT of things - but nothing titled
              Way of the Warrior. Did I just miss it, or can you provide the link /
              recheck the title? Thanks. I like your overall model for 1:1 and
              will try adapting it to other periods.

              Cheers,

              John
            • Dave Woollcombe-Gosson
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                John,

                You want Warp Spawn, not Web Spawn. Look under game list - solo - ww2.

                HTH

                Dave

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                  -Hi

                  I did go to warpspawn, just mistyped my letter. Clicked on the
                  hyperlink for:

                  Way of the Warrior
                  Small unit missions by Zak Solo Submitted Jan. 1st, 1968 (Monday)
                  Written by Zak"

                  and got a 404 error with the note
                  Your lucky numbers for today: 4, 0, 4.
                  Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL.
                  Try the search box below to find more information about your topic.
                • aconite13
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2007
                    -The Kit Carson game is also a dead link, though the rest of them in
                    solo work. Can you send a copy / post it in our files or is there
                    another mechanism from the page or elsewhere that would have the WotW
                    info?

                    Cheers,

                    John
                  • Robert Corcoran
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                      How about setting up a folder for home-made rules contributions? I've been
                      scribbling down ideas for various periods for a long time - I'm on a bit of
                      a naval thing at the moment (WW2).
                      Many of these ideas don't get finished and make it to the table, but they
                      continue on as a work in progress. This way we'd all get the benefit of the
                      group's collective creativity - either in the group or direct to the author.
                      Cheers
                      Robert