Greetings and Salutations

  • Eremite
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
      Hello and well met.

      A bit about myself.

      Currently I am on a voluntary sabbatical from employment having
      recently attained a point in my existence on this fine planet of
      which I may endeavor to do so.

      I live in the Northwestern part of the U.S..

      Throughout my life I have worked in various customer care and service
      oriented industries.

      For the time being I am enjoying my new found freedom with an
      abundance of leisure time.

      Over the years I have come to recognize and accept a few things about
      myself.

      The older I become the less I seem to be able to tolerate negative
      character traits in other people.

      These include arrogant, conceited, egotistical, and overbearing types
      which I avoid.

      Some gamers that I have encountered just seem to exude a dark,
      sinister, creepy, weird aura which I find quite unsettling.

      I have a tendancy to contemplate and dwell upon various aspects of my
      conversations with others. Perhaps I have become somewhat cynical and
      overly analytical.

      Meeting players with the exact same interests in the historical
      periods and scales I prefer to play is quite rare.

      My favorite periods of interest are Ancients, Dark Ages, Medieval,
      Renaissance, American Civil War, and Pirates. I prefer 28mm scale
      over smaller scales since my eyesight can no long focus quite so
      well.

      I am fickle in that I like to play only that which I wish to play. I
      no longer care to expend any funds in order to delve into other
      periods or genres that I am not truly interested in simply for the
      purpose of trying to blend in and gain acceptance of organized local
      clubs.

      Finding people of any age that are genuinely humble, modest,
      unpretentious, polite, and considerate seems to take place even more
      infrequently. This is particularly true among competitive types.

      My sleeping schedule is far removed from normal, my daily routine
      chaotic and somewhat pitiful. But this suits me just fine. I have
      never been able to conform well at all to established cultural norms
      or ideals.

      I go through long periods of time where I actually prefer and crave
      quiet blissful solitude rather than the company and companionship of
      others.

      Sometimes I get the feeling of becoming so smothered by others that I
      can become quite impatient, unsociable, moody, volatile or withdrawn.

      I am also very aware of who and what touches my property and
      belongings.

      Having to endure some schmuck with his greasy bacteria laden paws on
      my troops makes me cringe.

      You know the type. Just consumed a triple big mac with extra sauce,
      greasy ketchup drenched french fries, king size mountain dew, with a
      giant putrid sack of pork rinds. Currently afflicted with a runny
      nose and hacking cough. Just exited the men's room without washing or
      drying his hands. Forgot what a shower is, and does laundry only once
      every few months if the moon is full. Makes me boil and want to
      scream.

      I do indeed think it is high time I look into exploring methods or
      mechanisms by which I can glean more enjoyment from my games solo.

      It is pleasing to find others with similar interest and I do hope you
      regulars will pardon my endless questions and petitions for knowledge
      and advice.

      Happy 2007 everyone.

      Sincerely,

      Eremite
    • John Walsh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2007
        Dear Eremite,

        Our lives too are mixtures of the Lovecraftian and the Kafkaesque. Rest
        assured that your questions will be met with a mixture of contempt and
        indifference.

        If you have yet to explore solo wargaming, I would recommend Two Hour
        Wargames rules as a good starting place.

        Happy Year of the Pig to one and all.

        John
      • Rick Devonshire
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
          HAHAHAHAHAHA! Sounds like you do indeed need to stop going to clubs. If you
          want to meet a bunch of relaxed older gamers, you should make the trip to
          Adelaide, South Australia. We meet at one of our group's private home on
          most Saturdays and wouldn't be caught dead playing competition games.

          Out of the periods you list we have played Ancients. Early Republican Rome,
          to be exact. From Gaius Marius to Caesar. We are mostly WWII in 15mm and
          naval gamers from ancients to 1980's Soviet v Americans. So, if you are ever
          coming 'Downunder' gives us a shout.

          I got 'retrenched' from my job in 1992 and my hours are roughly 10.30 AM to
          2.00AM. (Let others work. ;-)

          I joined this group myself, to get ideas on playing other periods or battles
          that our wargaming group would not be interested in.

          I'm sure some knowledgeable person here, can set you on the road to Solo
          Gaming.

          Rick old, spectacle wearing, balding, beardy, beer drinking, wargamer.

          _____

[...]

        • norberto_the_great
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
            Eremite,

            it seems you dislike about 95% of wargamers, so choosing the solo path
            appears to be a very wise move ;-)

            Whilst I do have some very good gaming friends, who don't commit any
            of the sins you mention, my unsociable working hours & family
            commitments mean I very rarely get to game with them. I've gone back
            to solo gaming, both as a necessity & a matter of choice. There are
            some excellent rules systems available that mean the lack of an
            opponent is no problem. Now all I need is for someone to invent the 28
            hour day, so I can get all the shiny things painted!

            Have fun!

            Norberto
          • Neil
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
              Hi Eremite

              You need my job mate. I spend three weeks out of four a few kilometers
              outside an isolated community in the Australian outback looking after a Sun
              Farm. Some days I don't even see a human being let alone have him "paw my
              figures".

              Anyway enough of his problems and onto mine. I'm looking for a good
              solitaire boardgame. I only have room for about one or two games in my chest
              that I bring out so I'd like a selection so I can bring one out every time
              I'm out and not get bored with the one game.

              Regards Neil

              _____

            • jim davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
                Avalon Hill had the B17 game which was a solo from the
                start.
                Have you considered a lap top and electronic games?
                Although I admit I have several PC games and seldom
                play them.
                Jim D

                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
              • wscarvie
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 13, 2007
                  > Anyway enough of his problems and onto mine. I'm looking for a good
                  > solitaire boardgame. I only have room for about one or two games in
                  my chest
                  > that I bring out so I'd like a selection so I can bring one out
                  every time
                  > I'm out and not get bored with the one game.

                  The Web Grognards site has a list of solitaire board wargames. Many
                  are out of print, but often available on eBay.

                  Have a look here: http://alsandor.net/jeux/sololistrev1.html

                  You might particularly be interested in any of the magazine games, as
                  they're quite small. You'd be able to fit more of them in your chest,
                  and have more variety to choose from.

                  There are a few available on the web cheaply or for free, linked to
                  from the page above.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Will
                • Michael B.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
                    Hi,

                    I'm new here.

                    I have a few actual solo boardgames:

                    Silent War, by Compass Games - WWII US submarines
                    Smokejumpers, by MDG, reprinted by Firefight Counterstrike series- firefighting

                    But most wargames can be played solo since they're very onesided.
                    Check out Boardgamegeek and search the "geeklists" for solitare games.
                    I play Sergeants! solo, and the $20 Avalanche Press games solo, and several miniature rules sets converted to hex and counter.

                    Mike B.