Re: Are miniatures worthwhile?

  • Patrick Carroll
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
      --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, Andy Cowell <andy@...> wrote:
      > I saw a good post that described historical miniature wargaming as
      the
      > confluence of three areas of interest: History, gaming and art/visual
      > appearances.
      >
      > If you like history and gaming, you play board games.
      > If you like gaming and art, you play 40k or Rackham or some such.
      > If you like art and history, you paint busts or dioramas.
      >
      > Only if you like all three do you get into HMG.

      Nice little summary!

      Me, I like history and gaming--but the gaming part of me thinks that a
      good game ought to have high-quality, aesthetically pleasing
      components. So, I've hated the paper-and-cardboard two-dimensionality
      of board wargames ever since I saw my first one in 1968. I think a
      wargame ought to have a look and feel comparable to a good chess or
      backgammon set.

      The Columbia Block Games come pretty close to that. And I guess
      Hasbro has at least been including plastic minis in their wargames;
      that probably counts as a step in the right direction.

      But I'm really not into art enough that I'm willing to collect and
      paint my own figures. I want to be able to buy a wargame the same way
      I'd buy a chess or backgammon set--and enjoy it in all the same ways.

      --Patrick
    • norberto_the_great
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2006
        --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Carroll"
        <patrick55carroll@...> wrote:

        > Here's a snippet of a post I just read in another group this morning:
        >
        > "Personally, I find miniatures annoying, a lot of trouble for no
        > particular advantage, but there are people of limited imagination who
        > won't play CA or, I suppose, any other board game, without expensive
        > and finely detailed three-dimensional representations of the ships
        > (or whatever) that the games are about. I guess they never can see a
        > box with an oval in it as a platoon, company, or battalion of tanks
        > or a tank or armored regiment/brigade/division/corps."
        >
        > What do you think of that?
        <snip>

        LOL!
        Happy I don't know anyone like him/her!

        Now, I'll take my limited imagination back into my own little world of
        VSF, with all it's heroes & villains, unreliable contraptions &
        vehicles, potentially lethal [to both user & target] weapons, strange
        worlds, unfeasible aliens & dashing exploits. Oh, yes & miniatures.

        Sigh, I just wish I could sit & stare at lovely cardboard squares on a
        truly inspiring 2D map for hours on end, rather than immersing myself
        in a hugely enjoyable, almost cinematic experience that I've created.
        Oh to have an imagination ;-)

        Norberto