hello on a thursday night

  • jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      well i am getting my civilwar stuff all put together for some of my
      solo wargameing. and i am looking for some great ideas on placeing
      artillery on the table. i have been reading alot in rules just havent
      found anything on artillery that shows placement. thanks jimy.
    • Chuck Parrott
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2006
        Hi Jimy,

        I'm not sure what you kind of placement you are talking about. Do you mean
        historical placement? Historically artillery commanders looked for high
        ground or ridges where they could site their guns with good fields of fire.
        They often placed them on the frontal or downward slope facing the enemy.
        This allowed gravity and friction to abate the gun's recoil somewhat. When
        time permitted, ie not called upon to immediately engage enemy targets, they
        would build makeshift revetments either by digging or piling wood, stone, or
        earthen debris in front of the gun posisition for added protection. If they
        expected to be there a while, ie defensive emplacements, they would
        construct more elaborate breastworks.

        If you are talking about optimal game placment, then that would depend on
        the rules. Most rulesets I've played with had no artillery ammo rules, so
        placing them where they could engage targets at longest possible ranges is
        the best. Again give them good fields of fire. The idea is that you don't
        want to have be moving your batteries around during the game as most rules
        impose a penalty (usually of not being able to fire for a turn or two) for
        batteries in limber. Also at long ranges, you get to take more shots at
        advancing infantry before they get into musket/rifle range. If the rules
        allow for free pivots with no penalty for fire where they get placed is not
        as critical. If pivotting is an issue, then usually placing them on the
        wings at an angle so they cover as much of the table as possible is
        preferable. Again terrain will often dictate where the beasties need to be.

        If you want a lot of historical info on ACW Artillery, start with

        http://www.cwartillery.org/artillery.html

        They have an excellent site and links/info on many references covering
        artillery in the ACW

        Good luck with your game!

        Chuck