Re: Fantasy Skirmish Games (long)

  • Javier
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Kenneth,
      I was planning to use for WCBH the scenarios of a set of rules called
      Battle-troll. Battle-troll rules are not very good IMHO but the
      background, sources, information and especially the scenarios are
      great and easily adaptable to WCBH. Also there is a long chart for
      accidents which is very fun and perhaps it could be fit in the WCBH's
      mishaps. I don't have nor remember the link from where I downloaded
      these rules more than one year ago but I'll do some research and if
      everything fails I could send you the rules off list. Below there are
      some words from his author describing his work:
      "Man to man combat as depicted in the Icelandic Sagas... Personal
      combat in the Norse sagas is notable for its combination of grim
      humour, gymnastic violence and a graphic interest in the details of
      wounds, especially those with fatal consequences. Blows result in
      smashed shields or heads; limbs fly off with astonishing regularity,
      to the wry amusement of the saga-teller and the considerable chagrin
      of their erstwhile owners, whose life expectancy has suddenly dropped
      considerably. Minor wounds are seldom mentioned, except in terms of
      multiple accumulation; it is with Great Men, Great Deeds and, of
      course, Great Blows that the sagas are concerned. This short set of
      rules presents some basic mechanisms for modelling this sort of
      combat, where pithy taunts and well planned insults play their part
      alongside acts of the most grievous bodily harm. This is not a
      complete skirmish system, as if such a thing were possible, but
      simply a vicariously amusing look at these appallingly bloodthirsty
      times, conducted in the warmth and comfort of our own homes...This
      volume features a number of short sikirmish style combats taken from
      the Family sagas, two larger multi-player games designed for a rowdy
      invention or game-day kind of event, and some ideas for you to devise
      your own scenarios
      CONTENTS: THE LYME KNOLL, THE AMBUSH OF KJARTAN, THE SHIELING, THE
      ICE FLOW, THE FARM ON HISING ISLAND, A DUEL OF HONOUR,
      SMYRNADALASAGA, THE DWELLERS ON THE SAND PIT..."
      There's another set of great rules for Dark Ages on
      www.shieldwallgames.com called Skjaldbord, and they have a reaction
      check system that perhaps allow to be used for solo play with some
      tweaking. Also, in www.freewargamesrules.co.uk there're an excellent
      set of rules for Viking campaign called Aegir's Fire which I'm
      planning to use together with Skjalborg.
    • Kenneth Chipman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        This sounds great! Both my wife and I have read our fair share of Sagas
        and as an author (well before that too) of Norwegian fantasy books she
        is quite familiar with the old ballads and tales. I love the tales of
        men with huge gaping wounds fighting on as much as I do the other
        seemingly impossible heroic exploits documented in the Sagas.

        On 1-Feb-05, at 5:52 PM, Javier wrote:

        > Kenneth,
        > I was planning to use for WCBH the scenarios of a set of rules called
        > Battle-troll. Battle-troll rules are not very good IMHO but the
        > background, sources, information and especially the scenarios are
        > great and easily adaptable to WCBH. Also there is a long chart for
        > accidents which is very fun and perhaps it could be fit in the WCBH's
        > mishaps. I don't have nor remember the link from where I downloaded
        > these rules more than one year ago but I'll do some research and if
        > everything fails I could send you the rules off list. Below there are
        > some words from his author describing his work:
        > "Man to man combat as depicted in the Icelandic Sagas... Personal
        > combat in the Norse sagas is notable for its combination of grim
        > humour, gymnastic violence and a graphic interest in the details of
        > wounds, especially those with fatal consequences. Blows result in
        > smashed shields or heads; limbs fly off with astonishing regularity,
        > to the wry amusement of the saga-teller and the considerable chagrin
        > of their erstwhile owners, whose life expectancy has suddenly dropped
        > considerably. Minor wounds are seldom mentioned, except in terms of
        > multiple accumulation; it is with Great Men, Great Deeds and, of
        > course, Great Blows that the sagas are concerned. This short set of
        > rules presents some basic mechanisms for modelling this sort of
        > combat, where pithy taunts and well planned insults play their part
        > alongside acts of the most grievous bodily harm. This is not a
        > complete skirmish system, as if such a thing were possible, but
        > simply a vicariously amusing look at these appallingly bloodthirsty
        > times, conducted in the warmth and comfort of our own homes...This
        > volume features a number of short sikirmish style combats taken from
        > the Family sagas, two larger multi-player games designed for a rowdy
        > invention or game-day kind of event, and some ideas for you to devise
        > your own scenarios
        > CONTENTS: THE LYME KNOLL, THE AMBUSH OF KJARTAN, THE SHIELING, THE
        > ICE FLOW, THE FARM ON HISING ISLAND, A DUEL OF HONOUR,
        > SMYRNADALASAGA, THE DWELLERS ON THE SAND PIT..."
        > There's another set of great rules for Dark Ages on
        > www.shieldwallgames.com called Skjaldbord, and they have a reaction
        > check system that perhaps allow to be used for solo play with some
        > tweaking. Also, in www.freewargamesrules.co.uk there're an excellent
        > set of rules for Viking campaign called Aegir's Fire which I'm
        > planning to use together with Skjalborg.
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > � Post message: SoloWarGame@onelist.com
        > � Subscribe:��� SoloWarGame-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > � http://www.onelist.com/community/SoloWarGame
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • Kenneth Chipman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
          Will check them all out. Thanks. :)

          Sounds great! A human based fantasy theme with the supernatural
          elements and heroic deeds of the Sagas. This may well end up coming in
          as a close second (or even replacing!) my current major interest, pulp
          fiction.

          Kenneth

        • Javier
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
            Battle-troll and the scenarios (Ranven's folK) can be downloaded at
            www.amazonminiatures.com but first you have to register.
            Cheers,