AMPHIBIOUS/RIVERINE LANDING CRAFT AND MONITORS

  • BADDAWG6@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2000
      OKAY, I UNDERSTAND THE DEAL ( I THINK). Y'ALL ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO
      CONDUCT AMPHIBIOUS AND RIVERINE OPERATIONS IN A SCIENC FICTION SETTING.

      I am working on a similiar idea for part of a campaign scenario in
      WH40K: RT (Modi -fied yep the auld rules modified by house rules we
      like from newer versions). Since we also play STARGUARD, SLAMMER
      SHOCKFORCE, TRAVELLER, and a couple of other rules sets i cannot
      remember right now, even our big battles (with several 100s of figures
      on a side plus vehicles) are tactical in nature, part of the BIG
      PICTURE, but not THE BIG PICTURE. this allows us to actually do
      planetary invasions, fighting for key areas,etc.

      what i am gonna do, since we RPG as well as fight battles, and a PC of
      wot ever level is part of said battles, is this. we have no KING KONG
      CHARACTERS! our versions of arnie, sly, dolph, and jean - claude
      etc, are out there fighting but brains EISENHOWER, MONTY,
      ROMMEL,ZUHAKOV(or wot ever - i never can remember or spell his name
      right!) AND MACARTHUR ARE IN THE COMMAND BUNKER, where they belong,
      NOT FIGHTING HAND TO HAND!

      as i am planning, some of that battles will be fought on inland
      waterways of larger island and land masses, and some will be fought on ,
      around or for islands that make up the majority of the land mass on
      the as yet unnamed planet.

      a. limit the number of starports available for use to all combatant
      (larest civilian population center and one other civilian population
      center. MAYBE jointly used by the local PDF Orbital Command and System
      Patrol Forces.ALWAYS HAS ground and space defenses, including a "force
      field generators" if jointly occuppied with the military. otherwise,
      probably no such things. the larger civilian population centers may
      also have these "force field generators" to protect the citizens from
      orbital bombardment, if the planet is in a danger area. otherwise,
      peaclving, cost conscious citizens blow this off as not needed!

      b. limit the number civilian of shuttleports available for use for orbit
      to ground traffic., AS WELL AS THE NUMBER OF CIVILIAN shuttlecraft on
      the planet. facilities are always undefended.

      c. Limit the number of Planetary Defense Centers (orbital defense
      capable weaponry, aircraft, spacefighter, and shuttle support/use
      facilities ) available to the PDF. these facilities will also be home to
      the larger PDF organizations as garrison and rapid reaction troops.
      ALWAYS has a "force field generator" and ther ground defenses.

      d. limit the number of airports available for civilian use, including
      blimp and dirigi - ble facilities as well as STOL and VTOL aircraft.
      logic dictates these wil be found at larger civlian settlements, both
      inland and on islands . always undefended.

      e. now, suddenly, water borne transport of goods and folks becomes very
      very needful. river and ocean ports are everywhere, with every level of
      sophistication. always undefended, but may have local marine law
      enforcement facilities . SUDDENLY, MARITIME POLICING, RESCUE, TAX
      COLLECTION, ANTI-SMUGGLING OERATIONS, ETC, ARE VERY NECESSARY, and now
      there is the reason to have those boats!

      now you can have any and all tech levels and types of surface and even
      sub - marine craft (under water mining bases, etc) from sail boats to
      submersible freighters .

      i am going to scratch build some funky scale patrol boats, fishing
      boats, etc, like the MAJRGENs page, and maybe a couple of larger
      surface vessels purpose built for scenarios (civilian not military).

      for riverine and amphibious operations against who ever, i will make
      some thing similiar to WWII Higgins boats to haul troops, vehicles,
      and supplies for the PDF, and modify some of the same for use as
      firesupport vessels, or monitors,the way it was done by the french and
      the americans in the RVN War.

      as the Brits say, kitbashing is also useful for ideas here, and saves
      that money we all work so hard for!

      NO SUPERGUNS! just battlecannons, las cannons, multimeltas, heavy
      plasma guns, heavy bolters, autocannons,missile launchers, mortars,
      and maybe a heavyflamer like is on the IG flame throwing AFV. this fits
      in with the smaller scale actions depicted in all 25mm - 28mm science
      fiction rules (even the big battles ).

      HEAVIER GUN SUPPORT OR MISSILE SUPPORT WILL BE SUPPLIED FROM WAY OFF
      TABLE BY ORBITING SHIPS OR FROM PDCS A LONG WAY OFF,IF, IF, THE CALLER
      HAS A HIGH ENOUGH FIRE SUPPORT MISSION PRIORITY TO GO TO THE HEAD OF THE
      LIST (BIG PICTURE, REMEMBER!)......

      to do this right, the GM will need to nake maps for players use (world
      as well as area tactical prior to a games), and keep track of them for
      possible reuse!

      anyway, those are some of my thoughts.

      hope they are helpful!

      and i am always interested in hearing other folks ideas too.

      RON

      "THOUGH I BE WOUNDED, I AM NOT SLAIN! I WILL LAY ME DOWN TO BLEED A
      WHILE, THEN RISE AND FIGHT AGAIN!" OLD ENGLISH POEM.